Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #113
laj

forgot, max tire load 7280 per axle[emoji850]
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #114

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
So BTBRV's expertise is the same as anyone with a 38 foot 5th wheel, plus some test drives with very carefully set up rigs under conditions designed to make them look good? That makes him no different than the majority of people on this forum.

I've watched some of his videos before.
This video shows him talking about how the weather conditions are poor and visibility is low, but he's making a "driving rant video" anyway. In that video, he runs a red light (at 2:25), drives 10 mph under the flow of traffic creating a hazard in poor conditions, then brags about how he has "spurred shopping awareness in people" that weren't aware before.

He's just another YouTuber who takes himself too seriously.

thats a WHOLE lot of trailer behind the axles, talk about rear end swiiiiiing
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis2 View Post
Originally Posted by laj
not even close to being true. without exceeding gawr on either end, or exceeding any max tire load i have 1400lbs more load then gvwr.

all of my p/u’s have varying room of at least 1k lbs.
If you are exceeding your gross weight rating, you WILL be over on an axle.
Doesn't matter. You cant cherry pick your numbers. The max is either an axle or the GVWR. You are not supposed to exceed any of the numbers.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #116
laj

i use axle or tire max. those are the legal limitations, unless your in a state that uses licensing . everyone should do what they think best.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
i use axle or tire max. those are the legal limitations, unless your in a state that uses licensing . everyone should do what they think best.
Yeah using the trucks RAWR is the safest route and its legal.

According to my state size and weight officers a out of state non commercial truck may have a high or low registration number. This department could care less about any kind of weight number on the vehicle registration papers. This state has no type of number for registering a non commercial vehicle. Just the tow vehicles mfg steer and drive axles and the trailer mfg axle ratings will be enforced.

I see where some one always saying his gas 3/4 ton 10000 gvwr has a 3600-3800 lb payload.

Or a one ton SRW with 12k+ gvwr and a 4xxx lb payload.

And Fords F150 HDPP with a 7850 gver and 3200 lb payloads.

Add those high gvwr based payloads in the bed or behind or over the rear axle to those trucks above can overload the trucks RAWR numbers.

RAWR is the lessor of the trucks rear tires/wheels/spring pack and the axle ratings.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaa53 View Post
You know it's not the everyday driving that may be effected from overload of any axle, CCC, GVWR, GCWR, etc. It's the "holy crap" we are in "deep do-do" and it's to late to adjust the load. As a old(er)mechanical engineer I say watch and respect the numbers. Better men and women then me spent time figuring them out. Peace Out. Ed
I have had many of those "holy" experiences driving commercial vehicles in the feed business, and steel industry. Many of the same principles apply, and the rules are the same. I know the feeling of losing an axle while driving (loaded) I know the feeling of losing my brakes (and seeing a bus pass through the intersection just before I blew through). Please people, educate yourselves and use the best equipment you can afford. And I was a Volunteer Firefighter for almost 10 years, and have seen some nasty injuries from all sorts of "mistakes" and "miscalculations". It sucks learning the hard way!
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Doesn't matter. You cant cherry pick your numbers. The max is either an axle or the GVWR. You are not supposed to exceed any of the numbers.
That's what I was trying to say to the poster I responded to.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #120
laj

that is a manufacture position, and personal opinion/ position. not a legal one. people keep trying to make their opinions law. [emoji849]
Old 01-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #121

Quote:
you’ve got a real funny math. so you work it out. anyone with a ‘17-19 gm 1t can look and know the truth.

frt axle max - 5600
rear axle max- 7050
combined - 12650
max gvw - 11600

yes??????
Obviously we are talking about two different things. My math is fine. Reread my post. I wasn't speaking to your specific vehicle.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #122
laj

you said If i exceed my gvw its mandatory for me to be over on at least one of my axles. gvw is 11600, if i max out my axles my gvw is 12650. where did i exceed my gawr? all my p/u’s are that way. the manufacture’s do that on purpose. its called margin
Old 01-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #123

Quote:
you said If i exceed my gvw its mandatory for me to be over on at least one of my axles. gvw is 11600, if i max out my axles my gvw is 12650. where did i exceed my gawr? all my p/u’s are that way. the manufacture’s do that on purpose. its called margin

You are still overweight. Your gvw should be the sum of both axles...
Old 01-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #124

Quote:
It used to be like that, but they aren't like that anymore for all pickup trucks. In fact, that's how GVWR was figured out. Just add up your axle ratings.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #125

To fat, ie overweight

Quote:
Quote:

I am not a gross weight expert or really even moderately knowledge.

My question is max weight the sum of the axles? But what if the manufactured of a vehicle that the axle is not the weak link?. For example if the manufacture supplied the vehicle with lower rated tires, for example, to reduce cost and sell to a specific market. Then the max numbers would be lowered by the manufactures, with tires as the cause. In that case the sum of the axles would be incorrect. Do the manufacture consider all things when specifying a max number, ie axles, tires, braking, chassis and so on?

It is a question, I do not know answer.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #126
laj

Exceeding 80% of tow capacity

this is why i don’t exceed tires or axles. on all the srw 250, 350 p/u’s i have had the max tire load was always above gawr

Tags
tow