Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Its not nearly the same as cruise control. I drove from pittsburgh to wyoming this summer and up to williston. In my long trip across mostly flat land i saw 5 or 6 trailers with smoking breaks and 2 with brakes on fire. There are people who arent able to figure it out, and alot of them for that matter. The only nanny system im ok with is abs.

Highly doubt any of those trailer brakes smoking/on fire had ANYTHING to do with Exhaust Brakes

Sounds more like Brake controller OR Trailer Emergency Brake circuits
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Its not nearly the same as cruise control. I drove from pittsburgh to wyoming this summer and up to williston. In my long trip across mostly flat land i saw 5 or 6 trailers with smoking breaks and 2 with brakes on fire. There are people who arent able to figure it out, and alot of them for that matter. The only nanny system im ok with is abs.

Why do you suspect the brakes were smoking ...... I'd be willing to bet there wasn't a single case where the troubled motorist had learned to drive a vehicle that took care of braking for them and now because the exhaust brake system was not working properly they couldn't figure out how to drive.
4x4ord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Highly doubt any of those trailer brakes smoking/on fire had ANYTHING to do with Exhaust Brakes

Sounds more like Brake controller OR Trailer Emergency Brake circuits
Or people not knowing how to adjust their trailer brakes, their controllers, or not knowing how to brake in general. Ive prepared quite a few people for their class a cdl and youd be suprised how many people think theyre just going to ride their brakes down a 10% 5 mile hill.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #18

If they have features to paraellel park now or boat backing ability. You can bet these clowns dont know how. How many need an hour to back a boat in the water. How many RVers will pass up a back in site because they dont know how. Ive backed in so many rv for customers its crazy. Id say 2 in 10 can back up. So yeah they will learn to use the drive by wire exhaust braking system and either burn up the brakes or crash when it fails. To many depend on too many electronics. Brake controllers included. Wait till it blows a fuse or the cord becomes detached and dragging the highway. Oh crap panic stop in the ditch or someones in a black bag. Best learn to descend with a foot on the pedal then learn electronco way to do it.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, exhaust, trailer