Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #1

I had a white knuckle experience on our last adventure. Our rig does not exactly stop on a dime. Does anyone know where to find an exhaust brake for my truck ?

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins
Trailer trash Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #2

I had a white knuckle experience on our last adventure. Our rig does not exactly stop on a dime. Does anyone know where to find an exhaust brake for my truck ?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Sure, you can get a Jacobs exhaust brake at your local Cummins shop or at your Dodge dealer. Now, if your truck is a 48RE automatic, it may or may not be able to utilize an exhaust brake and retain the factory warranty - you'll have to check with your Dodge dealer to see if it has the necessary mechanical and software upgrades. No problem if it's a manual.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

According to the Jacobs website, they do not make one for an automatic transmission.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I believe that's a blanket statement that's carried too far since the basic Jacobs exhaust brake for the 3rd generation Dodge is the same for an automatic or manual transmission. In point of fact, the 2006 48RE can handle an exhaust brake - whether or not your 2005 can depends on its configuration. It's worth a check with a knowledgeable Dodge dealer or over at TurboDiesel Register.

Take a look HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #6

Exactly what happened? Even without an EB you should be able to stop the combination with no problem.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #7

Nothing happened. The stopping distance was longer than expected. That was my first experience towing a fifth wheel so maybe I just need to get use to the extra weight. I'm not looking to spend money,but from what I have read on this website an exhaust brake would make my next trip more enjoyable.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
CD

The main thing an EB does is reduce the braking needs on a long grade. It's like shifting down 1 or 2 gears without shifting. I am a big fan of the EB but it doesn't replace good braking on the truck & trailer. There may be a couple of things that come into play with your rig. One you may not have trailer brakes set up enough and the other you may have too much load.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #9

I do know that if my trailers brakes are not set properly that I feel the truck being pushed during braking. I think I would first be sure the trailers brakes are adjusted and then go for a drive to get a feel for them. If you still don't feel right, then invest in an EB. But before that, check with Dodge, I seem to remember reading some posts about not being compatable with the 05 automatic?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #10

I owned a 2004.5 dodge diesel automatic that I tried to get an exuast brake for,no dice.I am pretty sure 2005 was in that no dice .That was 2 years ago.
450donn hit the nail on the head,sounds like you need to check your trailer brakes and your weights.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #11

I had a BD brake on my 2001 Dodge with an auto. It worked fine holding back the truck/camper weight on down hill runs or while decelerating. I know of others who used an exhaust brake on their 5 and 6 speed stick as well. BD makes exhaust brakes for '89 - '06 5.9L Cummins.

Cheers!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #12

I have a Jacobs on my '02 with the dreaded 47RE, it was installed by my dealer when I bought the truck new. Good dealers do make a difference.

I also have a Torc-Lock from BD that locks and unlocks the torque converter, and that it is important.

At least with mine, they are really only effective above about 30-35 MPH.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a 2004.5 Ram 2500. It my understanding that there was a plastic part in the 48RE automatic that could not stand up to the extra presure that a EB put on the drive line. That part was changed in the later 48RE, but I do not know when. It is possiable to replace it with a metal part, but it involves a compleat teardown of the transmission. You could call Goerend Transmission and ask them about the 48RE. They are susposed to be experts and friendly.
http://www.goerend.com/

Bill