Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #1

Exhaust brakes in the overall brake system

I've been reading about the various brake systems on a 5th wheel and its tow vehicle.
I understand that (when operating properly) the 5th wheel brakes will slow the 5th wheel to the point of not 'pushing' the tow truck! That is because the 5th wheel 'senses' the tow vehicle's brakes being applied!
With an exhaust brake, the engine and gearbox provide the (downhill) braking but doesn't apply the hydraulic system (is this assumption correct?).
My question.....Is it unnecessary to have the 5th wheel brakes applied in an exhaust brake scenario?
Some of the lesser after market brake controllers which use a pendulum system might sense the exhaust braked tow vehicle slowing down and thereby apply the 5th wheel brakes!
I may be a four year old here but what happens in this situation?
I'm considering either a Brakesmart or Maxbrake!
Tom
Shekinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
CD

Shekinah
The trailer brakes will not be applied until the brake light is energized requiring some movement of the brake pedal. No, that wasn't a dumb question.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm running the Hensley True Control and an BD Exhaust brake and no, the 5th wheel does not sense the use of the exhaust brake until you step on the brake pedal. Even the Prodigy what not apply the 5th wheel brakes until you step on the brake pedal.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #4

Super I am not sure how your prodigy works, but mine will definitely apply the 5th wheel brakes without applying the truck brakes by using the lever on the brake controller.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Super I am not sure how your prodigy works, but mine will definitely apply the 5th wheel brakes without applying the truck brakes by using the lever on the brake controller.
That is the manual override that will energize the trailer brakes anytime even when you are stopped. They all have that.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote