Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Exhaust Brakes on new Ford Power Stroke

I am in the process of searching for a new tow vehicle and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the new integration between the transmission and exhaust brakes in Tow/Haul Mode on the Super Duty
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

I am disappointed but I often tow heavy on steep grades. Your results may vary.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

This is what DieselPower magazine had to say about all three trucks.
2011 Ford vs. Ram vs. GM Diesel Truck Shootout - Diesel Power Magazine

A very good artical to read and review.
Jim W.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
This is what DieselPower magazine had to say about all three trucks.
2011 Ford vs. Ram vs. GM Diesel Truck Shootout - Diesel Power Magazine

A very good artical to read and review.
Jim W.
Jim - Thanks for posting the link. I concur with their assessment of Ford's brake assist.

The consensus among the koolaid drinkers over at the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum is that my complaint was a case of operator error I've given up the battle trying to convince anyone over there but I'm on a mission to share my experience so that prospective owners have good information to help with their decision. Internet forums are great for that.

Steve
Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Take a look at this test Chevy vs. Ford in Heavy-Duty Rumble in the Rockies - PickupTrucks.com News

I am not sure who it being the most honest.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Take a look at this test Chevy vs. Ford in Heavy-Duty Rumble in the Rockies - PickupTrucks.com News

I am not sure who it being the most honest.
Thanks, I read that one too. The conclusions about the effectiveness of Ford's brake assist seem very similar between the two comparisons and my own experience.

On many grades when towing I can't hold highway speeds with brake assist alone. I have to slow way down to feel anything at all and at that point, it's probably just normal frictional resistance from being in a very low gear in two mode. My experience towing the same trailer, same grades with an e-braked 2006 Dodge was quite different. I could hold highway speeds on grades with minimal use of service brakes. I am thankful now more than ever for the disc brake upgrade I performed on my fiver.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #7

Steve R.
This is what the Cummins Home page advertises for the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and braking horsepower. An I quote" The Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel continues to offer the most powerful integrated exhaust brake available in a heavy duty truck. Cummins best-in-class integrated exhaust brake, with a full 225 braking horsepower at the wheel, gives Ram Heavy Duty pickup customers more confidence while towing the heaviest loads down the most severe grades. "
I have towed my 5er in the Black Hills in SD and the Appalachian Mountains and hardly have use my wheel brakes to hold the truck and trailer at speed. I feel very comfortable with the Cummins engine. Another feature that I like about the Cummins is you do not need to use Tow/haul mode to activate the Exhaust Brake. I use mine all of the time when driving the truck, in fact Cummins encourages you to activate the brake to help keep the VGT clean.
Jim W.