Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #15

Wasn't the expedition built on a truck chassis?? If the payload of the Expedition equals or exceeds the Tundra...go with it 'cause you like it. You'll be towing less than 7000 lbs., so either vehicle should handle it. I towed 6500 lbs. with my 2007 Tundra and it was a great combination. I was amazed how well it performed even in the mountains out west on our trip to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. Good luck and enjoy!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post
For respect to UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and our MILITARY I would choose the Ford. It is the right thing to do.

Mike
Deepest respect for your allegiance BUT if you knew how many parts of a Ford Truck in comparrison to a Toyota that are built in Canada and Mexico you would be shocked.
Years ago I drove over the road hauling mostly Ford parts to the Ford Truck Plant in Claycomo MO. My loads originated in Detroit but they were parts made in Canada. Chrysler and GM were the same also. A Cartage Company brought them over the border and I would haul from there.
Then a few years ago I picked up a car hauler in the hills of Kentucky. Nest to the trailer plant was a huge plant. I asked the salesman what it was......... he said that is where your truck is from.....I was in my Toyota Pick-Up. Here is a list of where Toyota is built in America:
Toyota Kentucky Plant: Avalon Hybrid, Camry, and Camry Hybrid.

Toyota Indiana Plant: Highlander, Highlander Hybrid, Sequoia, and Sienna

Toyota Mississippi Plant: Corolla

Toyota Texas Plant: Tacoma and Tundra

Indiana Plant: Camry

Toyota Canada Plant: Corolla and RAV4

Toyota California Plant: Tacoma

Mexico Plant: Yaris and Yaris iA
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstyles View Post
Many would contest your “known fact” that trucks handle trailers better than SUVs....there are a lot of variables there that may make that statement wrong!

It was a general statement. On average trucks tow more and better than an suv can. Yes there are some suvs that can tow better than some trucks. If you take everything as a whole. Trucks bet out suvs for towing on any day of the week. Facts are facts. If you do not believe it then your choice. Free country.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Payload of the Tundra and Expedition are both just shy of 1700 lbs. Tundra has leaf springs. Expedition has multi-link, independent rear suspension

I like the Expy. Just don't want it to crap out at 150,000 miles.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #19

Both are good, I’d go with the one you would prefer to drive everyday.
But, I wish Toyota would get rid of those cheap plastic ET air vents.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Deepest respect for your allegiance BUT if you knew how many parts of a Ford Truck in comparrison to a Toyota that are built in Canada and Mexico you would be shocked.
Years ago I drove over the road hauling mostly Ford parts to the Ford Truck Plant in Claycomo MO. My loads originated in Detroit but they were parts made in Canada. Chrysler and GM were the same also. A Cartage Company brought them over the border and I would haul from there.
Then a few years ago I picked up a car hauler in the hills of Kentucky. Nest to the trailer plant was a huge plant. I asked the salesman what it was......... he said that is where your truck is from.....I was in my Toyota Pick-Up. Here is a list of where Toyota is built in America:
Toyota Kentucky Plant: Avalon Hybrid, Camry, and Camry Hybrid.

Toyota Indiana Plant: Highlander, Highlander Hybrid, Sequoia, and Sienna

Toyota Mississippi Plant: Corolla

Toyota Texas Plant: Tacoma and Tundra

Indiana Plant: Camry

Toyota Canada Plant: Corolla and RAV4

Toyota California Plant: Tacoma

Mexico Plant: Yaris and Yaris iA

So tell me when all those parts are assembled & the vehicle is sold Were dose the profit go what country & what car company?

Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Money View Post
The burb specs say yes to towing my trailer, but reality says not quite.
That's why most of the old foggies on IRV2.com recommend you have at least a 20% fudge factor between tow rating and actual gross trailer weight.

My tow rating on my new F-150 is 11,900, and the actual weight of my TT when wet and loaded for the road is about half the tow rating. Needless to say, I have no problem with power and torque to tow my TT over the Rockies.

The new regular Expedition 4x4 with HD towing pkg and 3.73 axle has tow rating of 9,200, and 80% of 9200 is 7,360. 7,360 pounds gross trailer weight is plenty for most reasonable folks to try to tow with a half-ton tow vehicle. The Expedition EL (extra long), now called the Expedition Max, weighs about 200 pounds more than the short version, so tow rating is 9,000, and 80% is 7,200.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
It was a general statement. On average trucks tow more and better than an suv can. Yes there are some suvs that can tow better than some trucks. If you take everything as a whole. Trucks bet out suvs for towing on any day of the week. Facts are facts. If you do not believe it then your choice. Free country.
It’s too bad the OP didn’t ask about a specific SUV and a specific truck, like, say a 2015-2017 Expedition with the 3.5L EcoBoost, max tow package and the 3.73 rear axle compared to a Toyota Tundra Maxcrew Cab, 5.7L V8 and the 4.10 rear axle...
Old 01-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post
So tell me when all those parts are assembled & the vehicle is sold Were dose the profit go what country & what car company?

Mike
exactly where do all the profits go back to
as to the op we really like our expy even though its the 5.4
Old 01-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
It’s too bad the OP didn’t ask about a specific SUV and a specific truck, like, say a 2015-2017 Expedition with the 3.5L EcoBoost, max tow package and the 3.73 rear axle compared to a Toyota Tundra Maxcrew Cab, 5.7L V8 and the 4.10 rear axle...
2017 expedition el with 3.5L ecoboost, 3.73 rear axle, max tow package vs. 2018/19 tundra. 5.7L, 4.10 rear axle
Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
2017 expedition el with 3.5L ecoboost, 3.73 rear axle, max tow package vs. 2018/19 tundra. 5.7L, 4.10 rear axle
Yeah, that was sarcasm, I knew exactly what you were asking about... Get the Expedition, unless you can afford a 2018 Expedition with the 10 speed.

(... and the driver's assistance package, and that awesome panoramic sunroof, and... holy cr@p that's a lot of money! That 2017 will be just fine.)
Old 01-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I can't afford a 2018 expedition. I can afford a 2017 with 52,000 miles and an after market warranty.

I'm shocked. I thought the consensus would be the Tundra. The Expedition I'm looking at does not have the self-leveling rear end. But, I figure my blue ox WD, if setup correctly, will prevent the Expy from squatting too much in the rear. My suburban has the auto-level in the rear. It's very nice and I'll certainly miss that.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm shocked. I thought the consensus would be the Tundra.
The Tundra for long trouble-free life of a grocery getter and light hauler - typical half-ton use. The 3.5L EcoBoost drivetrain for dragging a 7k RV trailer over the Rockies. I knew that when I ordered my 2012 F-150. But that towing machine turned out to be trouble-free for the 6+ years and 66k mostly towing miles I owned it, so it was as reliable as a Toyota. But Consumer Reports reliability charts say I was lucky.

My only regret with that 2012 was the MPG was lower than I hoped for. But it was a wonderful towing machine with the 6-speed tranny. I haven't towed with the 2019 yet, so I haven't experienced towing with the 10-speed tranny. But unloaded it's a very fast pickup that should satisfy the Saturday night street racer.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow. Maybe Ford got it right? I've had SO MANY repairs on my suburban. Ugh. Only 1 of which was towing related ( new rear diff). It's made me concerned about towing with an American made SUV. I'd love to get it and have 7 years and 150,000 miles without seeing a mechanic outside of routine maintenance.