Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #1

Extra capacity Fuel tank for a Gasser

Stopping every 140 miles for fuel is a pain. 32 gallons doesn't go far. Anyone running an aftermarket 50 gallon or larger tank?
Everything advertised seems to be for Diesel.
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #2

A frame mounted aftermarket tank for your Dodge , might not be different gas/diesel .
Starting in approx 2004 Dodge /Cummins with HPCR fuel system used an in tank electric fuel pump , so tank opening for the pump should be the same.
If you can find a tank manufacturer , contact them for more info.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #3

This was the same question a few months ago. I think they do make one that fits in the bed of the truck but you might be better off with replacing your gas tank with a bigger after market gas tank. I think this was the best option for volatile gasoline.

I think there was also a software change needed to do calculations with the bigger gas tank.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinjunior View Post
Stopping every 140 miles for fuel is a pain. 32 gallons doesn't go far. Anyone running an aftermarket 50 gallon or larger tank?
Everything advertised seems to be for Diesel.
So... your only getting around 5mpg? How fast are you driving?
You could just throw a couple of 6 gallon gas cans in the back for now.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

Why are you stopping so early? You should be getting 8-10 mpg. You should be able to go 190-200 before looking for a gas station.
I had a 2018 6.4 and got 8-10 towing 9600 lbs. I started looking around 150-180 miles. But I didn't need gas till 200 miles on the tank.
You have some mechanical issues if you need gas at 150.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #6

For those who asked. I run at 65 MPH. Truck normally gets 12 MPG.
6.4 w/4.10s
My worst tank was 5.6 going up towards Flagstaff on Rt 17. My best tank was 9.8 coming out of Gallup into AZ at 6 AM with no ac. That was the only tank to get above 8.5, the rest were all 6s and 7s
The computer turns on the low fuel warning just past the 1/4 mark on the gauge.
All my mileage figures come from the dash display.
I haven't weighed the trailer but it's a 30.Ft Desert Fox toy Hauler.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...n_2021_103.JPG
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:09 PM   #7

You can buy a bed mounted aux. tank for GASOLINE....there are several companies that make them, and in various sizes. The caveat to that is that they CANNOT be piped up to be gravity fed tanks like the ones that people use for diesel. The gasoline tanks have to be used by pumping fuel out of the tank with an aux. pump and into the regular fuel fill pipe that is presently on your truck (where you normally put gas in the truck), They aren't cheap by any stretch, but they are certain effective if you need to carry more fuel onboard. You will still have to pull over and get out of the truck and pump gas, but at least you can do it maybe at an exit ramp....or better yet, at an entrance ramp before you actually get on the interstate.... or in a rest area along side the interstate.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #8

I’ve been looking at tanks and man, they’re pricy. I’m going to get four 5 gallon cans and secure them in the back.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I’ve been looking at tanks and man, they’re pricy. I’m going to get four 5 gallon cans and secure them in the back.
Pricy? Compared to the truck and RV cost? I think I paid around 550-600$ for mine and installed it on my gas pickup. 40 extra gallons plus a nice toolbox was worth it to me. I only kinda hate giving up some bed space sometimes but overall it's a good decision. Mine is gravity fed BTW, couldn't find any regs preventing me from doing so. I installed a normally closed fuel solenoid to shut tranfer off.

FWIW I get anywhere from 750-1200km range now. Sorry to say your fuel mileage sucks. I'm guessing your trailer design is the issue.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Pricy? Compared to the truck and RV cost? I think I paid around 550-600$ for mine and installed it on my gas pickup. 40 extra gallons plus a nice toolbox was worth it to me. I only kinda hate giving up some bed space sometimes but overall it's a good decision. Mine is gravity fed BTW, couldn't find any regs preventing me from doing so. I installed a normally closed fuel solenoid to shut tranfer off.

FWIW I get anywhere from 750-1200km range now. Sorry to say your fuel mileage sucks. I'm guessing your trailer design is the issue.
Would love to know more about your setup. An extra 40 gal would be really nice and I need a tool box anyway. Would also like to know how you did the gravity feed.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Would love to know more about your setup. An extra 40 gal would be really nice and I need a tool box anyway. Would also like to know how you did the gravity feed.
It's an RDS (from Florida) aluminium tank/toolbox combo. It fits just below the bedrails. You have to unlatch the cover to get to the tank fill and gauge on the driver's side. Super secure for what it is, the tank cap locks as well as the hinged cover.

I removed the factory section of hose between the filler neck opening and tank. I sourced a steel male-male union at the hardware store and cut the hose so the steel pipe fits an accessible location. I welded 2 male-male couplers into holse drilled in that union to plumb gravity fill and vent lines so both tanks get EVAP venting and monitoring. The fill line out the tank plumbs straight into a normally closed solenoid. I fill both tanks and drive. When the vehicle's factory tank gets to 1/4 or so left, I switch on the transfer solenoid. I fill up as I drive.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
It's an RDS (from Florida) aluminium tank/toolbox combo. It fits just below the bedrails. You have to unlatch the cover to get to the tank fill and gauge on the driver's side. Super secure for what it is, the tank cap locks as well as the hinged cover.

I removed the factory section of hose between the filler neck opening and tank. I sourced a steel male-male union at the hardware store and cut the hose so the steel pipe fits an accessible location. I welded 2 male-male couplers into holse drilled in that union to plumb gravity fill and vent lines so both tanks get EVAP venting and monitoring. The fill line out the tank plumbs straight into a normally closed solenoid. I fill both tanks and drive. When the vehicle's factory tank gets to 1/4 or so left, I switch on the transfer solenoid. I fill up as I drive.
That is so cool! I want that in my truck.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
That is so cool! I want that in my truck.
I live 30km from the U.S. border. Pre-covid I used to get my tanks filled in the USA, just a 1hr drive back and forth. Border guards sometimes give me a puzzled look when I say I went to get gas. Since it's all in the vehhicle tank they can't charge duties on it. If I had 6 or 8 5 gallon cans i'd be paying duties. Since it's a fixed tank with plumbing and bolted down they can't do squat. I save anywhere from 50-100$ per fillup vs gas prices here.

It IS cool. I always get a smile when the tank fills while driving. It's not as much fun paying the fillup bill though, but I don't go as often.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #14

On our ExpeditionVehicle I built on a commercial truck, we have a factory 50-gallon tank.
I supplement this with a 140-gallon 'saddle' tank I acquired from a heavy-truck dismantlers (aka 'wrecking-yard').
On the toy-hauler I built on a commercial chassis, I mounted a 120-gallon tank I acquired from the truck wreckers.
In theory, our range is Anchorage-to-Acapulco.
For your rig, I think the first tank of gasoline through a retired diesel tank worshes all the petroleum-based differences into the filters between it and your factory tank.
Your shake-n-shimmy down the road probably agitates everything stuck to the interior, the gasoline acting as a solvent dissolves everything else into solution.
Change those between-tanks filters a couple-three times, and I would feel comfortable with the output.
We only use diesel engines.
If my suggestion is not realistic, please enlighten me.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, tank