Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post

Lots of pre-made transfer tank installation kits for diesels, none or very few for gas. They are not all that expensive either.
Yeah, no kidding; I didn't realize that until I started looking. I think I will prefer to have a auxilary tank with a pump and nozzle so I can fill my motorcycles and generator as well as top up the truck.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Yeah, no kidding; I didn't realize that until I started looking. I think I will prefer to have a auxilary tank with a pump and nozzle so I can fill my motorcycles and generator as well as top up the truck.

Dave
One thing to consider; if ,like me, you live near the U.S. border and take advantage of cheaper gas and fill both tanks, a separate, non plumbed transfer tank can be considered taxable fuel.

I got into it once with a CDN border agent. I showed him the plumbed line and transfer switch then he started saying how that cannot be legal. I gave him hell and said "WTH, are you DOT or are you a tax collector". I was lucky he let me go.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
One thing to consider; if ,like me, you live near the U.S. border and take advantage of cheaper gas and fill both tanks, a separate, non plumbed transfer tank can be considered taxable fuel.

I got into it once with a CDN border agent. I showed him the plumbed line and transfer switch then he started saying how that cannot be legal. I gave him hell and said "WTH, are you DOT or are you a tax collector". I was lucky he let me go.
good point and yeah, you are lucky; those guys have zero sense of humor and many/most have big chips on their shoulders....

Years ago I was going to Baja and I had two 5 gall diesel tanks on the back of the camper....turns out you aren't allowed to carry fuel into Mexico so the border guys were giving me grief.....My Spanish isn't very good but a girl traveling with us was fluent so after a brief back-and-forth and some arm waving, I was let through.

Dave
Old 01-05-2022, 06:22 AM   #32

From the RDS website

"Auxiliary tanks connect to your vehicle’s fuel tank. Diesel fuel can “gravity feed” from the bottom of your RDS tank.

An optional Diesel Install Kit contains the necessary items to economically and easily connect your RDS tank to your OEM fuel tank.

Gasoline auxiliary fueling is allowed, if siphoned from the top of the tank by using an electric fuel pump."

Contact RDS
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
From the RDS website

"Auxiliary tanks connect to your vehicle’s fuel tank. Diesel fuel can “gravity feed” from the bottom of your RDS tank.

An optional Diesel Install Kit contains the necessary items to economically and easily connect your RDS tank to your OEM fuel tank.

Gasoline auxiliary fueling is allowed, if siphoned from the top of the tank by using an electric fuel pump."

Contact RDS
That's my brand of auxiliary tank. There's a lot of misinterpretation of regs. A lot of regs are based on long defunct carbureted vehicles.

AFAIK the rule is that you're NOT allowed to directly gravity feed the fuel system. What I mean is you can't put a tank and gravity feed it directly to, say, a carburetor. I see nothing that states it is illegal to gravity feed/fill the OEM tank. Some say you need to manually transfer or use an electric pump to transfer to the main OEM tank. In fact, that can be a whole lot more dangerous than any gravity feed setup if performed incorrectly.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:32 PM   #34

Aux tank

I installed a RDS 51 gal. tank/toolbox combo, this is my second one and wouldn't be without it. Gives me almost 100 gal of diesel and I never go to truck stops and pay exorbitant prices, gas buddy is my friend. Just drove from OH to FL, stopped at many rest areas for a equipment check and a good stretch but only purchased fuel once. Also, great peace of mind incase of contingencies.
damonessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #35

We have a RAM 3/4 ton. Got a 55 gallon bed tank with tool box on top. Couldnt be happen. We have the gravity feed into main tank and it is great. Fill the tanks and just drive and forget about. 800 miles towing, 1500 miles Bob tailing. Top of tank is just below bed sites so we could put a cover over it. I was worried about exceeding cargo capacity with trailer so avoided bigger tanks. With a short bed our Anderson hitch barely fit behind the tank. Ordered tank from RDS. RDS tanks always arrive with dents. Their packing sucks. Otherwise a great tank.
Charlesland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:18 PM   #36

xtra fuel tank

I use to have a 120 gallon tank under the sleeper in a one ton crew cab dually. LOVED IT!!! Would carry 160 gallons total. If you plumb it to run off of....be sure to run the return line back to the tank you have the selector on. I ran over a side tank the first time I did this in the'80s. Bob Gilbertson in Charlotte NC use to keep 90 gallon tanks that were really reasonable. GOOD LUCK and DO IT. MOMCAT
Old 01-07-2022, 07:18 AM   #37

Extended range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantobon View Post
I have a new F-350 diesel on order and I believe that comes with a 48 gallon tank. I live in San Antonio and [moderator edit ]fuel prices here are pretty bad and when I go elsewhere it's even more shocking. So I'd like to bring as much as can to at least skip over some of the super ridiculous places if possible. I know I can swap the factory tank with maybe an 80 gallon tank but I think it around $2K for the extra 32 gallons. Is there a good tank to put under the bed or in the bed just behind the cab 60-80 gallons? I don't want to muck with trying to connect the reserve to the stock tank and would just need some way to pump it over.

What are the best options.
Truck bed fuel tanks have been around since pickups themselves. Easy to install and remove, my neighbor has a 43 year old 80 gallon tank in his truck. Thats the best choice in my opinion.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #38

dont buy steel tank they will rust
dstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #39

steel fuel tanks

most standard fuel tanks are steel. MOMCAT
Old 01-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
most standard fuel tanks are steel. MOMCAT
Strange, the main tank on mt F350 DRW truck is plastic and my RDS auxiliary tank is aluminum.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #41

Years ago almost all fuel tanks were galvanized steel; now most are plastic:

Before 1990, most car gas tanks were made of steel. By 1996 plastic had replaced steel in one out of four fuel tanks manufactured in North America. Last year plastic gas tanks had taken over an estimated 72% of the market in North America, and almost 50% worldwide.

Diesel helps prevent rust as well compared to gasoline.

Dave
Old 01-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #42

With my S&B 60 gal tank I can do LA to SLC towing my ORV
and I have full use of my truck bed.

Tags
diesel, tank