Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #15

I've had that message a couple times and each time it was just the plug. Unplug it and plug it back in and the error goes away, I also shoot some contact cleaner in there at the next stop.

If you're concerned about your trailer brakes, just use your brake controller to apply the trailer brakes. I do this every time after hooking up, as you're pulling out of your site I just apply the trailer brakes to see if they're working or not.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
possible recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Dave View Post
I have a 2016 F-150. Last summer (2019) for the first time I started getting the "trailer disconnect" warning when towing my Coleman Niagara Camper. Lights on the trailer stayed on and the trailer/truck connections appeared solid. Eventually the warning stopped. I will soon be towing a trailer that weighs almost twice as much. First, I need to know will my trailer brakes be working (at their optimal levels) if I get this warning again (and my connection appears solid)? Second, if you have had this message appearing my error what have you done to resolve this problem? Thanks in advance for reading the above and responding - Len Dave
Hi, something for you to check maybe?? NHTSA (18E014000) safety recall on some trailer - camper shell wiring harness connectors. Mine was on a Leer. On mine, this was definitely the problem and was testable using a water hose on a sunny day.

If you had a camper shell on it at some point in the past, the shell's harness may have been still left in place as it is out of sight and out of mind.

ioski
ioski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #17

I have had the error on several Fords

Wiring was new and sealed in all cases

Spraying a good dielectric such as WD40 on the plug and receptacle usually stops it

Also wiggle firmly the plug when it is fully engaged after spraying
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
KCJ

A friend asked for help. Vehicle was a 2008 F-350 diesel. Bought used so didn't know full history. Problem was an intermittent brake disconnected warning that eventually became continuous which I notice is very common. Trailer worked okay with a different Ford truck. Connectors had been cleaned with WD-40 and looked good. Nothing obviously wrong. Resistance of trailer brake wiring looked reasonable. Re-cleaned connectors several times with contact cleaner while connecting and reconnecting connectors. Cleaned truck brake and ground connector contacts with an abrasive pad. Problem still there. Was about to give up when decided to look closer at truck connector. Nothing obvious but noticed that it seemed pretty easy to bend the truck connector contacts. Decided to bend the brake contact outwards very slightly to provide more contact pressure with trailer connector contact. PROBLEM WENT AWAY. Conclusion: Truck connector contacts were probably bend slightly out of position.

Note: In addition to "bending outward" it is also possible to (carefully) "expand" the truck contacts to make them fit tighter in the trailer connector.
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
KCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer