Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 06:12 AM   #29

With a 250 you can tow pretty much any travel trailer out there with the exception of some of the absurdly long ones that are really designed to be parked somewhere. With a 150 you are always going to be limited by something. So a 250 is future proof.

Now if you want a 5th wheel you need a 350.
Matt313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2020, 05:53 AM   #30

Here is a person towing a 7,000lb trailer up a mountain with a 2017 F-250 6.2 then he uses a 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost with max tow.

Bottom line - says the 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost has more power with less RPM. This shows how good the Eco-Boost tows. He says the F-250 6.2 is more stable. Both trucks tow up the mountain at 60 mph with more throttle available. This does not show what happens at 72 mph with a semi truck passing.

Each video is about 3.5 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/Za00noq0_vc

https://youtu.be/-jEIIbbPFss
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Here is a person towing a 7,000lb trailer up a mountain with a 2017 F-250 6.2 then he uses a 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost with max tow.

Bottom line - says the 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost has more power with less RPM. This shows how good the Eco-Boost tows. He says the F-250 6.2 is more stable. Both trucks tow up the mountain at 60 mph with more throttle available. This does not show what happens at 72 mph with a semi truck passing.

Each video is about 3.5 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/Za00noq0_vc

https://youtu.be/-jEIIbbPFss
I've always loved the way my Ecoboost tows, the low rev nature, especially after coming off our class A with the screaming Ford V10. Good to see it compares well with a big V8. Nothing wrong with either motor and pretty much down to personal preference.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #32

The V-10 had to be geared so low to move a huge motorhome that turned it into the screamer that it is known for. The new 7.3 Godzilla in a motor home will be less of a screamer.

Agree that the 3.5 Eco-Boost is the best towing engine in half ton trucks. That it tows like a diesel engine with all the low end torque.

That is where the F-150 3.5 Eco-Boost with max tow and HDPP comes in. I am sure this truck would tow the OP's trailer with more control. But so would a F-250. Actually between these two trucks the F-250 is a much better tow vehicle and a lot easier to find. Plus you can get a F-250/350 with a 7.3 gas engine or the crazy powerful 6.7 turbo diesel engine.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Dave View Post
Hello All,

Looking for your advice again. Just traveled from Oregon to IN with an approximately 7000 lb., 26 ft. trailer with my 2016 F-150 XLT (145 inches) supercab with 3.5 ecoboost, 3.55 axle ratio engine with max tow and equalizer 1200 4 point sway weight distribution. I also had new E ply LT tires at 80 PSI and was at my weight max. The combination did the job even over the Rockies. I didn't sway. Typically drove around 62-65 mph. But, I did feel the 18 wheelers and when the wind hit 20-25 mph, I felt that too. More than I liked. (Perhaps, I'm just too new at this?) I had new E ply LT tires at 80 PSI and was at my weight max. Would have liked to have brought my inflatable paddle boards and an extra generator for AC but too much weight. I didn't like the slightly floaty feelings and a bit of a pull (depending on passing truck side or wind) but I survived with both hands firmly on the wheel. Would my experience be better with a F-250. Would I also be able to bring two paddle boards, extra generator and an inflatable boat (300 pounds more) with a F-250. I am also hoping in the future to do lots of national parks which means I will often be out of the flat midwest. Looking forward to hearing of your experiences. Thanks again, ahead of time. Will provide an update later on my own experiences, soon. - Len Arthur
It won't help your payload concerns but if you're looking to greatly improve stability in windy conditions and even lessen the effects of passing semis, consider a Tuson Electronic Sway Control. This device works very well at sensing sway and correcting it before the TV is affected by it. It applies a pulse of trailer braking on the appropriate trailer wheels to always bring the trailer back in alignment with the TV. I'm towing a 28ft 7000# TT with an F150 and find this device has greatly improved the experience.
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #34

Ford already has factory programmed sway control that applies trailer brakes and truck brakes according to help stop a sway condition.

OP - you might need to use tow/haul mode to activate the Ford sway control feature.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:36 AM   #35

One of the great advantages of a 3/4 ton tuck over a 1/2 ton pulling a 7000 lb trailer is that you won't need to fiddle with a weight distribution hitch, and you won't experience trailer sway as your tow vehicle will be heavy enough to control the trailer without a sway control device.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #36

An improperly loaded trailer would sway behind a Kenworth tractor. Thinking you are stopping sway because of a bigger truck is not right.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #37

Yes. You should always try to load the trailer for a 10% tongue weight. But given that, the most important thing is the weight of the tow vehicle.

Also make sure you have enough tire pressure, especially the rear truck tires.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #38

Nevada - I strongly have to disagree with you again. I am not sure your towing experience but you have to know there are trucks too small to tow a given load right?

If you are a professional driver, you have to realize the weekend camper is not as experienced as you.

A 7,000lb trailer behind any half ton truck is going to max that truck out. I am not surprised the OP is having an issue. And what are you recommending? He take out the dishes and silverware and put that stuff on the bed?

Explain to me when I had terrible sway with a 1st gen Honda Ridgeline and then used the exact same loading and WD hitch on the same trailer with a F-150 I had zero sway? Zero push/pull from Semi Trucks. Was it the longer wheelbase on the F-150 or the heavier truck? Again the F-150 was so stable I let the wife drive for a few hours.

We don't agree with you because I think a F-250 will tow his trailer better with no sway.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #39

In your original post you said that you are maxed out on weight and are not able to carry the things that you want. You have answered your own question. You need a bigger truck. Do your own research and then decide what is the best choice for YOU. the f150 while a great truck is not enough truck for what you want to do.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #40

Tuff, maybe you don’t know what sway really is. A trailer that sways is loaded wrong and the truck will not correct it. Sway is not the same as being overloaded for a particular tow vehicle.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #41

Old 08-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #42

https://www.weigh-safe.com/towing-sa...tongue-weight/