Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
NCK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 15
F150/1500/etc

Curious if something like a F150 is enough for me to pull a Geopro with 500lbs of motorcycle in the bed. So realistically 900lbs with me and the other stuff in the truck. The trailers list weights are only like 3300lbs with 409 tongue weight (obviously more in the real world).

So best conservative guess. Trailer weight 4500, tongue 550??, cargo 900. I think the trucks are rated around 1800lbs cargo. Just kinda worried that motorcycle + hitch weight is a lot back there on a little truck???

Thanks
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,030
That should be doable. Note that you can control the tongue weight by how you load the trailer. If you have a 4500 lb loaded traile you can shift the load to arrive at a tongue weight of 450 lbs. You can measure the tongue weight using a bathroom scale and a lever.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 20,575
Blog Entries: 21
First off, use the trailer GVWR for your weights. On a travel trailer, the tongue weight should be around 12% of the GVWR of the trailer. Ignore the brochure dry weights. These do not include any optional items like, microwave, TV, awnings, batteries, and certainly no propane.

Also, do not forget to include about 100# for the weight distributing hitch set up.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
NCK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
First off, use the trailer GVWR for your weights. On a travel trailer, the tongue weight should be around 12% of the GVWR of the trailer. Ignore the brochure dry weights. These do not include any optional items like, microwave, TV, awnings, batteries, and certainly no propane.

Also, do not forget to include about 100# for the weight distributing hitch set up.

Ken
They list unloaded weight 3233 and cargo as 1176. So I guess 4409lbs x .12
So roughly 530lbs tongue weight + 500lbs of motorcycle in the truck bed???
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCK View Post
They list unloaded weight 3233 and cargo as 1176. So I guess 4409lbs x .12
So roughly 530lbs tongue weight + 500lbs of motorcycle in the truck bed???
Really depends on the trailer.

On our mini Lite the TW is running around 14%, but they are tongue heavy trailers and we've seen as high as 15% on some in our group.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s
2021 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 10,664
My knee jerk answer is yes. I towed a 26.5' 5,500 travel trailer with a F-150 with a Drawtite WD Hitch and it towed great with no sway and no effect from Semi's that I passed or the few that passed me. I towed 68 - 72 mph in the right lane keeping up with right lane traffic. I did not get I'm anyone's way.

I think the Geopro trailers are only 7' wide. That will help in towing because a little less wind resistance.

In picking a 150/1500 series truck you will want to look at payload. You will want maybe a XLT with 2,100 pounds of payload. Or a GM truck with 2,100 payload.
You obviously will be looking at the 6.5' beds to fit the motorcycles. I think that will help with getting a higher payload.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
mistercee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Sun City West, AZ
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCK View Post
They list unloaded weight 3233 and cargo as 1176. So I guess 4409lbs x .12
So roughly 530lbs tongue weight + 500lbs of motorcycle in the truck bed???
Yes....so far you have 1030 pounds of 'payload' used. Add to this figure the following:

100 lbs for a weight distributing hitch
xxx lbs for the weight of you and any other persons/pets riding in the truck
xxx lbs for any other gear you will be putting in the truck (firewood, coolers)

Add the above to the 1,030 and compare this grand total to the amount of 'cargo carrying capacity' listed on the yellow/black/white sticker on the driver's side door jamb of your truck.

If you exceed that figure, you are over your truck's carrying capacity.
__________________
2020 Keystone Cougar 'Half-Ton' 29RLKWE, 33'.3", 9500 lb GVWR
2019 Ford F350 CCSB, 6.2L gas, 2WD, 4.30 gears
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,030
The standard safe tongue weight is 10%. This is what truck manufacturers use when certifying their trucks according to SAE standards. In some cases you can safely go down to 8%, according to some manufacturers.

Ford says you don't need a weight distribution hitch for tongue weights up to 500 lbs.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
The standard safe tongue weight is 10%. This is what truck manufacturers use when certifying their trucks according to SAE standards. In some cases you can safely go down to 8%, according to some manufacturers.

Ford says you don't need a weight distribution hitch for tongue weights up to 500 lbs.
maybe but the trailer defines what a safe tongue weight is, not the truck. I use 12 - 15% for tongue weight myself and wouldn't be comfortable at 10.......and I'd never tow a TT at 8%

The OP says the truck load would be 900lbs so with 530 lbs tongue weight he's maybe a hair under 1500 lbs payload all told.



Dave
__________________
Outdoors RV 21RBS, 2003 Dodge 3500 dually, Cummins, 6 spd.
Dave Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
NCK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My knee jerk answer is yes. I towed a 26.5' 5,500 travel trailer with a F-150 with a Drawtite WD Hitch and it towed great with no sway and no effect from Semi's that I passed or the few that passed me. I towed 68 - 72 mph in the right lane keeping up with right lane traffic. I did not get I'm anyone's way.

I think the Geopro trailers are only 7' wide. That will help in towing because a little less wind resistance.

In picking a 150/1500 series truck you will want to look at payload. You will want maybe a XLT with 2,100 pounds of payload. Or a GM truck with 2,100 payload.
You obviously will be looking at the 6.5' beds to fit the motorcycles. I think that will help with getting a higher payload.

Good luck
thanks

It's 92 inch wide, 21 foot long tip to tip. (G19FD)
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 10,664
A 150/1500 series truck will be plenty of truck for what you want to do. As long as you get one with enough payload.

Payload on the 150/1500 trucks will vary from 1,300lbs on a Ram with rear coil springs and even 1,100 lbs on a Nissan Titan. I find the best payload on a Ford F-150 XLT (2,1xx lbs.) or the lightly optioned GM 1500 trucks with 2,1xx lbs. of payload.

I do not see many 150/1500 series trucks with the 6.5' beds. You might need to order it.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #12
NCK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A 150/1500 series truck will be plenty of truck for what you want to do. As long as you get one with enough payload.

Payload on the 150/1500 trucks will vary from 1,300lbs on a Ram with rear coil springs and even 1,100 lbs on a Nissan Titan. I find the best payload on a Ford F-150 XLT (2,1xx lbs.) or the lightly optioned GM 1500 trucks with 2,1xx lbs. of payload.

I do not see many 150/1500 series trucks with the 6.5' beds. You might need to order it.

Good luck
I CAN'T AFFORD NEW


Thanks for the help everyone
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 10,664
I can believe that - if you are patient a used F-150 with a 6.5' bed just might show up.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 Ram 1500 vs 2019 Chevy 1500 vs 2018 F-150 tuffr2 Travel Trailer Discussion 112 11-15-2018 07:01 PM
Tundra SR5 vs F150 vs Chevy 1500 USAMTBR Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 24 05-08-2017 07:22 AM
Ram 1500 vs Ford F150 Towing Question guyofthewest Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 76 05-02-2015 01:05 PM
Can I tow this with an F150 chevy 1500 or do I need a 250 or 2500 Haleions Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 5 07-22-2012 09:05 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.