Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Factory Bed Prep & Andersen Gooseneck Mount Ultimate hitch

We're strongly considering using the Andersen Gooseneck Mount Ultimate (Toolbox Model) hitch with our truck.
This setup seems to make the most of the factory gooseneck ball/5th wheel preparation we have. Drop a gooseneck ball into the bed, and the hitch locks onto it.
This setup also shaves roughly 100 pounds of weight from the payload total.

We're interested in hearing from those who've used the gooseneck mount version of this hitch with factory bed prep. How did it go and with what truck and 5er?
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

Getting our Gooseneck mount tomorrow.
2018 GMC 3500 Sierra diesel dually factory prepped, 2019 Grand Design Momentum MClass 351 5th wheel toyhauler!
Can't wait!!!
coachkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkids View Post
Getting our Gooseneck mount tomorrow.
2018 GMC 3500 Sierra diesel dually factory prepped, 2019 Grand Design Momentum MClass 351 5th wheel toyhauler!
Can't wait!!!
I have the same truck. And put a goosebox on our new 2018 Cedar Creek 38BFD. Nothing but the ball and chain attachment eyes in the bed
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #4

Owning an Andersen Ultimate, along with a B&W puck mount hitch, finally moving to a GooseBox, my recommendation would be to go with a Reese GooseBox pin box and use the Gooseneck ball in the bed of the truck without need for a hitch. It's easier to use than the Andersen hitch, and when disconnected you have the clean bed without having to remove and re install the hitch. In addition, the GooseBox is approved by Lippert so you won't run in to warranty issues like you can with the Andersen Ultimate if it does cause damage to your trailer (Personal Experience)

Some of the things I didn't like about the Andersen Hitch:

First of course, the pin box adapter puts all the pin weight on two of the 4 set screws that mount it. This caused my pin box base plate to buckle resulting in my having to replace the pin box.

While the hitch is lightweight, it shifts the pin weight aft by 4 inches which when hooked up takes a couple hundred pounds of weight off the front truck axle and moves it to the aft. As a result, my rear axle weight was higher than when using a heavier B&W puck mount hitch adjusted more forward. That said, you can move the pin fore and aft on the B&W which change the math depending on settings, and a lighter hitch does result in lower total vehicle weight. The GooseBox is heavier due to the suspension system than a regular pin box, so depending on the pin box you're replacing it may be heavier than the factory pin box/Andersen hitch combination.

With the Andersen, you don't get to keep the effective length of the factory pin box. When you install the pin adapter, it either essentially lengthens, or shortens the pin box by 4 inches. With my trailer 4 inches longer resulted in the back of the pin box mount hitting the truck bed rails in tight turns. It's sloped somewhat, so how tight I could turn varied with how level the truck was. With my fifth wheel the factory actually got it right with the pin box length so changing it caused issues. The GooseBox keeps the lengths the same as the factory when replacing a Lippert 1621 Series pin box.

With the Andersen, when hooking up or unhooking in unlevel terrain, especially where truck and trailer were at different angles resulted in binding of the ball going in to the pin adapter. If it slid hard along the portion of the adapter where the locking pin slid it would result in a lip/dent that would prevent the lock pin from sliding. You would then have to lift the trailer back up and grind it off. My pin adapter was replaced once because of this issue by the dealer, and I've had to help someone at a campground with his because of this issue and him not having anything to take the burr off with. You can also sometimes have issues pinning the ball due to binding when at angles.

I also had issues with the base of the hitch sometimes slipping on the spray in bedliner of the truck. It only moves less than a quarter inch, and only when pulling or braking hard, but you could hear and feel it. Over the course of my having the hitch, Andersen changed the torque value of the top bolt, and changed proceedures for installation to have the weight of the trailer on the hitch prior to final torque of top mount bolt. When the pin box is in the position that shortens the pin are, the top bolt is hard to access with a torque wrench when hooked up without and crows foot or other adapter. The newer torque procedure helped, but my final fix for hitch slipping was a thin rubber mat under the hitch.

My 3500 Ram with the factory fifth wheel prep had much more bed flex than I expected when using the Andersen hitch. I discovered this while standing on the side step while pulling/backing in soft terrain to identify what the popping was. The popping was the hitch base slipping slightly maybe a quarter inch at most, which probably isn't a real issue. The bed flex however concerned me as to what the long term effects would be. With the GooseBox, using my factory mounts all the weight is carried on the truck frame rather than the truck bed.

Finally, with a Reese GooseBox you get an airbag/shock absorber suspension system built in to the pin box which helps significantly with chucking and jolting. Very worthwhile for improving comfort, and taking some of the shock off the hardware. Only downside is the cost, with Andersen Hitches running around $750 while the GooseBox is around $950 for a 16k pin box replacement and $1200 for 20k
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
SNIP
Only downside is the cost, with Andersen Hitches running around $750 while the GooseBox is around $950 for a 16k pin box replacement and $1200 for 20k
Thanks Searching UT.

In my few days of researching this, I've seen some of your past posts regarding this comparison. I've also watched a few install videos for each.
I'd add another couple of advantages for the Andersen (of which I have no affiliation and don't know what I'm going to end up with yet).
1) I could install the Andersen by myself quite easily, as well as completely remove it. The Reese is substantially heavier and will require help to do both.
2) Given the weight of the Reese, it largely removes the weight savings found in going with the gooseball mount over a standard 5th wheel hitch.

That's how I understand it from what I've seen so far. I'll see if I can find trend data for damage while using the Andersen hitch.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingOn View Post
Thanks Searching UT.

In my few days of researching this, I've seen some of your past posts regarding this comparison. I've also watched a few install videos for each.
I'd add another couple of advantages for the Andersen (of which I have no affiliation and don't know what I'm going to end up with yet).
1) I could install the Andersen by myself quite easily, as well as completely remove it. The Reese is substantially heavier and will require help to do both.
2) Given the weight of the Reese, it largely removes the weight savings found in going with the gooseball mount over a standard 5th wheel hitch.

That's how I understand it from what I've seen so far. I'll see if I can find trend data for damage while using the Andersen hitch.

You swap out the pin box of the fifth Wheel with the Reese GooseBox. You only install it once. The only thing you install in the truck are the Gooseneck ball and chain mount brackets which drop into the factory prep holes. Only takes a couple minutes and you have to install these with either the GooseBox or the Andersen. With the Andersen, to get a clean truck bed you have to remove the hitch, and of course re-install is you want to tow again.

As for installing the Reese GooseBox, I found it relatively easy to install by myself. I just put some carboard in the back of my truck, and backed it under the existing pin box, loosened the bolts, then lowered the trailer till the pin was basically on a couple of blocks. Then removed the bolts and lowered the back of the pin box into the truck so I never had to lift the entire weight of the pin box. With Andersen, you have to lift the hitch in and out of the truck. You don't deal with a hitch with the GooseBox.

I personally didn't have any issues installing the GooseBox on the fifth wheel myself, even having had major stomach surgery less than 4 months prior to my installing it. I could give you pointers should you require.

As for weight, again, you probably end up about the same as the existing pin box with the Andersen Ultimate, and end up lighter by far than the regular pin box with a more solid and better hitch like the B&W. Also, in comparison with the Andersen weight wise, the Andersen Hitch forces the weight aft of the rear axle, which takes some of the weight off the front axle and shifts it to being carried on the aft. With a fifth wheel, you're most likely to overload the rear axle prior to exceeding your total cargo capacity or max tow rating, meaning the GooseBox is more helpful in this area weight wise.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Here is my setup. I love it, great ride, easy install/removal, room for aux fuel tank and all fits under my cover. Added the rubber mat to protect the bed but not necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_72e7.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	222748   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7313.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	222749  

Old 10-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #8

No personal experience with the AUH but I did talk to a fellow camper with a busted out rear window and dented cab with one. He had a Newer Ram short bed truck. With the adapter facing rearward his pin box was biting chunks out of his tailgate. He reversed the adapter and happily towed many thousands of miles with no issues. He found himself backing sharply combined with a driveway slope and then - exploded rear window. If you have a long bed, go for it.

I would look at the Blue Ox Super Ride if you have a short bed; Cushioned head for comfort, fits your gooseneck ball, breaks down for easy removal and articulates for tight spot backing.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Here is my setup. I love it, great ride, easy install/removal, room for aux fuel tank and all fits under my cover. Added the rubber mat to protect the bed but not necessary.
Nice looking setup. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 10-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #10

The second photo by FloraBama shows the configuration of the truck for towing with the Reese GooseBox. No hitch of course required.

From personal experience I don't know where the idea of not having to watch your turns if using a short bed truck with the Andersen Ultimate came from. I towed a couple different trailers with mine and you will get contact if you turn too sharp with the pin adapter configured either way. In fact, on mine the way I had to configure, you could turn sharper with a conventional hitch as I too had to turn the adapter around to prevent the back of the pin box mounts from hitting the bed rails in tight turns. That said, the difference between the worse which was Andersen, ball aft of pin, and the best, B&W set full aft using a regular pin box was maybe 3 degrees of difference. This on a trailer with the longer pin box and front cap cutouts common now with fifth wheels. The rounded hitch for me makes a huge difference, the hitch not so much.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #11

UT,

Great info on AUH negatives, especially the binding while unhitching under certain conditions. Got me wondering if the PullRite SuperLite system would behave the same under similar circumstances.