Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Fifth Wheel Hitch

So - Tow vehicle is a long bed F350 4x4, and I need to choose a hitch. I have the factory puck system, and would like to use it, either directly or with an adapter. Interested in one of the dampening systems, as I'm probably going to end up with a trailer that's close to the tow limits on the truck. Thinking about the following, open to suggestions:

BW Companion

Comfort Ride

TrailerSaver
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
So - Tow vehicle is a long bed F350 4x4, and I need to choose a hitch. I have the factory puck system, and would like to use it, either directly or with an adapter. Interested in one of the dampening systems, as I'm probably going to end up with a trailer that's close to the tow limits on the truck. Thinking about the following, open to suggestions:

BW Companion

Comfort Ride

TrailerSaver
We have the Trailer Saver BD3. Very happy with it. Very easy to hitch and unhitch. Friends went from DP to a 5th wheel and bought one also on my recommendation and are also happy with there's.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a BD3 as well, use a Reese adaptor with the puck system, works like a dream. A little spendy but worth it.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2. The current models use either a gooseneck ball or standard rails. They are developing a new model which will use the OEM pucks.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2. The current models use either a gooseneck ball or standard rails. They are developing a new model which will use the OEM pucks.
How does that tow with the Hathaway? That's one of the trailers that's on my list of finalists.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
How does that tow with the Hathaway? That's one of the trailers that's on my list of finalists.
I'm new to the Hathaway and the Andersen but so far it is great. I was concerned about clearance with my short bed RAM but its not really an issue. Smooth towing, no chucking or noise. Easy install and easy removal. It fits under my bed cover and I'll probably put in an Aux fuel tank down the road.

On edit: forgot to say that I got the standard pin box, not the Trail Air and glad I did; don't need it.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
I'm new to the Hathaway and the Andersen but so far it is great. I was concerned about clearance with my short bed RAM but its not really an issue. Smooth towing, no chucking or noise. Easy install and easy removal. It fits under my bed cover and I'll probably put in an Aux fuel tank down the road.

On edit: forgot to say that I got the standard pin box, not the Trail Air and glad I did; don't need it.
Good to hear, will have to check it out. You in the Pcola area? I'm headed there for work next month, will be staying in Blue Angel Park. I'm renting a friends Cyclone for a few months and having it delivered there....while I figure out what I want for myself. This is gonna allow me to try out the lifestyle prior to committing to it. Need to figure out the hitch so I can take it back to Texas when I'm done there.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Good to hear, will have to check it out. You in the Pcola area? I'm headed there for work next month, will be staying in Blue Angel Park. I'm renting a friends Cyclone for a few months and having it delivered there....while I figure out what I want for myself. This is gonna allow me to try out the lifestyle prior to committing to it. Need to figure out the hitch so I can take it back to Texas when I'm done there.
Let me know if you want to take a look at the hitch and I can meet you somewhere in the P'Cola area. I purchased it on Amazon, so you can go there and read a lot of reviews on the hitch. Most RV dealers don't know anything about this hitch since it is a owner purchase and install product and don't need a dealer.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #9

X2 for the Andersen Ultimate 2
Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #10

Just in case you haven't gotten enough in the way of varied opinions, I'll toss one more out there. I put a B&W Companion 3600 in my Ram which also uses the puck system. Hitch is rated to #24,000. My 5er has a Trailair pin and I use a 3/16 nylon disc to avoid a grease bath. Like the hitch. My only issue is the arm to lock and unlock the jaws is a little short to reach over the side of a dually, however, I have read on here somewhere that knuckleheads have played games with folks by reaching in the bed and unlocking the jaws while the owner is away so I won't be replacing for a longer one.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #11

Fifth Wheel Hitch

I have the b&w puck hitch and the only one I would rather get (now that I have towed 12k miles) is the bd3. An air ride hitch would really soften the pounding these fivers take going down the road I believe
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Just in case you haven't gotten enough in the way of varied opinions, I'll toss one more out there. I put a B&W Companion 3600 in my Ram which also uses the puck system. Hitch is rated to #24,000. My 5er has a Trailair pin and I use a 3/16 nylon disc to avoid a grease bath. Like the hitch. My only issue is the arm to lock and unlock the jaws is a little short to reach over the side of a dually, however, I have read on here somewhere that knuckleheads have played games with folks by reaching in the bed and unlocking the jaws while the owner is away so I won't be replacing for a longer one.
The BD3 comes with a separate rod and a longer lever so you can unhook without climbing up on the tire or use a stool etc. Also should mention that there is way to lock the jaws with a padlock. We always throw a padlock on if we plan to stop anywhere. Had a B & W before the BD3 and the ride was greatly improved with the BD3.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #13

So the consensus so far is the Andersen Ultimate and the BD3. Does the Andersen soften the ride like the BD3? Anybody made the switch from a Companion or BD3 to an Andersen and have a comparison?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #14

Evergreen Owners Club
I also have the BD3 with the puck system adapter plate. Air ride on this hitch is very nice. We really like it and are presently towing a 16,500 lb 43 ft 5th. Only drawback is it is heavy to remove but I would not want it any other way. It is built to take the punishment and don't have to worry about it. I also like the fact it comes with handle extensions to lock and unlock making it much harder for a prankster to unhook you at a rest stop.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote