Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Thank you all for the great insight. I’m torn between the Trailersaver BD5 and B&W Companion.

I know the Trailersaver would most likely be a better ride, but with the MorRyde cushion pin box, I don’t know if the Trailersaver is worth the extra $2300 for the 4 or so trips we take a year.

But, we are trying to keep this one for 10 years while little man is growing up, so maybe the Trailersaver is worth the $230 a year investment.

This is hard!

NO its easy , both hitches are very good BUT the BD5 is more money but the ride quality and less stress on the trailer frame is well worth the extra money. I am buying a new truck this month , currently have a demco premium autoslide in my 6.5' truck and have placed my order for a BD5 already. My new truck will be a 8' bed and don't need a slide hitch. I have a Morride pin box and morryde IS in the trailer now. The trailer is just under 17,000 lbs and 3600 lbs on the pin. as far as hitch removal , leave it connect to the trailer with a pad lock in the pin release and disconnect it from the truck pucks. leave it hanging on the pin box pull the truck out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman77 View Post
What are you talking about? Source? Or are you just spouting nonsense.

Other posts on here. Dealership told me Anderson should not be used.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
NO its easy , both hitches are very good BUT the BD5 is more money but the ride quality and less stress on the trailer frame is well worth the extra money. I am buying a new truck this month , currently have a demco premium autoslide in my 6.5' truck and have placed my order for a BD5 already. My new truck will be a 8' bed and don't need a slide hitch. I have a Morride pin box and morryde IS in the trailer now. The trailer is just under 17,000 lbs and 3600 lbs on the pin. as far as hitch removal , leave it connect to the trailer with a pad lock in the pin release and disconnect it from the truck pucks. leave it hanging on the pin box pull the truck out.

I’m thinking that or an engine hoist.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #60

Quote:
Other posts on here. Dealership told me Anderson should not be used.
My dealer recommended the Andersen. Internet rumor is just that. Show me the proof.
flashman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #61

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
5th wheel hitch.

If we could have bought a hitch that would eliminate that horrible chucking we would still have our 5th wheel. We had a beautiful 41 ft. front living room that was like a home on wheels. We miss the floorplan but just could not put up with the horrible chucking. Traded it in (took a $30k hit) for a Class A....third RV...this is the last one.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #62

OP have you considered the Reese Goosebox? I switched over about 2 years ago from a B&W to the Reese GB and we love it. Cost is comparable, but there is nothing to take out of the bed but a ball. I usually don't even take mine out. Hitching up takes some getting used to but I can hitch up on the 1st or 2nd try at this point. We're installing a 3rd brake light camera to make it even easier.

Worth a mention at least. The airbag and shocks reduce chucking considerably. It takes a lot to feel anything on mine.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
OP have you considered the Reese Goosebox? I switched over about 2 years ago from a B&W to the Reese GB and we love it. Cost is comparable, but there is nothing to take out of the bed but a ball. I usually don't even take mine out. Hitching up takes some getting used to but I can hitch up on the 1st or 2nd try at this point. We're installing a 3rd brake light camera to make it even easier.

Worth a mention at least. The airbag and shocks reduce chucking considerably. It takes a lot to feel anything on mine.

I appreciate it. I believe that was mentioned early on. I really like it and the concept, but I’m worried about pin weight. The Goosebox has a max pin weight of 4,000 lbs. I’m on a 16,800 lbs. front bedroom, 42’ fifth wheel. Our unit has a stacked washer and dryer and under bed storage, so I think 20% might be a little low for what it actually is. At 24% on the pin, I’m over 4K lbs. I always like to have wiggle room in max ratings, and that seems a little close for comfort to me.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #64

Quote:
I appreciate it. I believe that was mentioned early on. I really like it and the concept, but I’m worried about pin weight. The Goosebox has a max pin weight of 4,000 lbs. I’m on a 16,800 lbs. front bedroom, 42’ fifth wheel. Our unit has a stacked washer and dryer and under bed storage, so I think 20% might be a little low for what it actually is. At 24% on the pin, I’m over 4K lbs. I always like to have wiggle room in max ratings, and that seems a little close for comfort to me.
I get that for sure.

At 24% it's barely over on pin weight by about 32ish lbs. If you manage how you load your trailer and can get the pin weight down to 20% you'll be at 3,360 lbs... well below the max pin rating on the GB. By all means choose what you're comfortable with, but something to consider.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #65

Is a new pin box by Gen-y which eliminate the hitch in the bed.The concept is nice if it work.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #66

So after a truckload of research and reading through opinions here, I have decided to stick with a traditional hitch, as our RV came with the nice MorRyde cushion pin box. I considered the Trailersaver very heavily, but was impressed with the Blue Ox Super Ride. It took some digging to get real world experience, but it seems like a great in between option when looking at rigid vs. air ride hitches. Cost was an important factor for us and we were able to get it for about $100 more than the 25K Companion, so still very reasonable. I’m not wild about not being able to utilize the puck system, but we went with the gooseball connection model.

More to follow once we receive it and tow with it.

Thanks to everyone for the input and opinions; you gave us a lot to think about and consider!
Old 09-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #67

Nice choice. The Super Ride has received very few reviews here but all positive. I didn't mention it as you won't need the articulating feature with the long bed. Please bounce back after a couple of tows and let us know how you like it.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Nice choice. The Super Ride has received very few reviews here but all positive. I didn't mention it as you won't need the articulating feature with the long bed. Please bounce back after a couple of tows and let us know how you like it.

Definitely will Cecil. I don’t plan to need the swing function. I was back and forth between the Super Ride and the BD5. A friend helped me out towing it to the shop for warranty work and he runs the Curt Q24. That ride very well for a rigid hitch, so I’m hoping the Super Ride is even smoother. No Teflon ring needed is a nice bonus, too.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #69

Blue Ox Super Ride

Hi Hambone,

You won't be sorry with that Hitch!!
Terry.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #70

16K or 20K

New to towing a 5th wheel. Our Keystone 3570fwlft has a gross weight of 14k. Is the 16k okay or should I go with the 20k.
falcon404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch