Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbob View Post
Hello All,
Embarrassing I must say about this weight distribution, pull weight on my 5th wheel. I am pulling a 5th wheel with a dry weigh (by plated located in the kitchen) of 9100 lbs. Not sure if that is correct weight as someone told me it does not include appliance etc. So I loaded up and went to the scales. My front axle weight is 4,250. My rear axle with 5th wheel hitch loaded is 5,800. My 5th wheel weight at the axles are 7,900. OK lol. This doesn't help me. I am admitted a little confused about the area and if I am overloaded. I have a 97 Dodge dually 12 valver. The GVWR is 11k. The GAWR of the front is 4,850. The rear is 7,500. Am I in trouble lol. And in this calculation is it close to the 9100 lbs of the 5th wheel GVWR. I know this is all approximate due to fuel, hitch etc. Any help would be appreciated in advance.
As you have probably already figured out your under on all of your axle and GVW weights. Your under the trucks front and rear axle weight ratings. Your under the truck 11000 GVWR (4250+ 5800 = 10050 GVW.

The 2nd gen 3500 DRW Dodge truck rear axle weigh approx 3000 lbs unladin. Subtract that from the truck 5800 lb ladin rear axle weight leaves approx 2800 lbs for your pin weight.

Enjoy your combo.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbob View Post
I am pulling a 5th wheel with a dry weigh (by plated located in the kitchen) of 9100 lbs....My front axle weight is 4,250. My rear axle with 5th wheel hitch loaded is 5,800. My 5th wheel weight at the axles are 7,900. .... I have a 97 Dodge dually 12 valver. The GVWR is 11k. .
4250 + 5800 = 10,050 GVW. Compare that to the 11k GVWR and you're not overloaded over the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

10,050 GVW + 7,900 trailer axles weight = 17,950 GCW. Compare that to the GCWR of the tow vehicle.

I can't find the GVWR for a '97 Dodge 3500 diesel, but the similar Ford F-350 dually diesel had a GCWR of 16,000 pounds with 3.55 axle or 20,000 pounds with 4.10 axle ratio. So assuming the Dodge Boys were competitive with the Ford folks, then your truck probably has the 4.10 axle ratio and 20,000 pounds GCWR. If it does, then you're not overloaded over the GCWR either.

Those other weight ratings are nit noid. If you don't exceed the GVWR or the GCWR, then you're not going to exceed any other weight rating either.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I can't find the GVWR for a '97 Dodge 3500 diesel....
Sorry, I had to run, and when I returned it was too late to edit my post. So here's my edit and additional comments:

Brain fade. Make that GCWR that I can't find. I found the GVWR of 10,500 for that truck, but if your door sticker says 11,000 then go by the door sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbob
And in this calculation is it close to the 9100 lbs of the 5th wheel GVWR?
The GVWR of the trailer is not important when on the road. Use the trailer's GVWR only for calculating estimated wet and loaded hitch weight and estimated gross combined weight (GCW) when matching trailer to tow vehicle.

Compare the combined trailer axle weight to the combined GAWR (gross axle weight rating) of the trailer to see if the trailer is overloaded over the GAWR. The trailer's GAWR is probably on the same sticker as the GVWR. The GAWR is probably for each axle, so you have to double it for a tandam-axle trailer. My guess is you have two 4,000-pound axles, for a combined GAWR of 8,000 pounds. If that's what you have, then the actual 7,900 pounds axle weight means you were not overloaded over the GAWR.

But for grins, the following is not important when on the road, but is interesting nonetheless.

The typical medium-sized 5er has a hitch weight of about 17% of total trailer weight. 17 percent of 9,100 = 7,553 expected axle weight and 1,547 expected hitch weight when wet and loaded for bear.

Your trailer axle weight (GAW) of 7,900 pounds compared to a GVWR of 9,100 GVWR means your trailer was probably overloaded over the 9100 pounds GVWR of the trailer, or else you didn't distribute the load in the trailer properly - too much weight behind the axles that needs to be moved forward in front of the axles.

9,100 GVWR minus 7,900 axle weight = 1,200 hitch weight. 1,200 hitch weight is only 13.2% of 9,100. It would be a rare 5er with only 13.2% hitch weight when properly loaded. So with the weight in the trailer properly distributed, you probably had a bit more hitch weight than 1,200, which means means your trailer probably grossed a bit more than the 9,100 GVWR.

But again, the GVWR of the trailer is meaningless when on the road. Compare trailer axle weight to the trailer's GAWR to determine if your trailer is overloaded, and ignore the trailer's GVWR.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #18

Thanks Billieg and the rest for all the input on this subject. Fortunately I have the luxury of not sitting in front of my computer all day just browsing the internet. I am enjoying LIFE. I am opting for an upgraded transmission from one of the tranny gurus. Again thanks for the input and knowledge on this matter.

Rangers Lead the Way!!!
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight