Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

Finding Specs for used Trucks and Trailers

Back in 2011 we lived in a pop-up camper for seven months. It towed well, but I'm sure I was pushing the limits (Mits. Montero Sport w/ Jayco 14-ft). Mainly it was the cargo that got out of hand. Any way, we're planning to move back to the States some time this year and are already doing the research.

I have found some nice online calculators for making sure all of your weights line up (vehicle weight/cargo/tongue, etc.) but what I can't find are reliable sources for the vehicles and trailers themselves. I can usually find at least *some* of the numbers, but not enough to verify that trailer x will work with tv y.

Are there any good sources out there that I am missing? I've just about Googled until my fingers are down to nubs...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #2

For years trailer life published ratings.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

I think you should be looking at trucks. Anyway it really does not matter much if you have a Ram 1500, GM1500 or Ford 150 truck. They can all tow 6,500lbs comfortably. As you increase weight the less comfortable you will be. Decrease in weight the more comfortable you will be.

Ram 2500, GM 2500 and Ford 250 can tow 10,000lbs comfortably.

For more than 10,000 IMHO you need a Ram 3500, GM 3500 or Ford 350.

For more than 13,000lbs you need a dually unless a 5th wheel. You can tow around 14,000lbs with a SRW 3500 or 350 series truck. Example - if I had a 13,000lb 5th wheel I would use a Single Rear Wheel (SRW) truck. At 15,000lbs for a 5th wheel you are pushing the limits of a SRW truck.

So what kind if RV are you thinking about getting?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think you should be looking at trucks. Anyway it really does not matter much if you have a Ram 1500, GM1500 or Ford 150 truck. They can all tow 6,500lbs comfortably. As you increase weight the less comfortable you will be. Decrease in weight the more comfortable you will be.

Ram 2500, GM 2500 and Ford 250 can tow 10,000lbs comfortably.

<snip>

So what kind if RV are you thinking about getting?
Mainly looking at 25-ft trailers, something in that range. Also looking at Toyota Tundras, which have configurations up to 10,000 towing capacity. But trailers that size can push the weight limits, thus I am looking for detailed specs...
Old 05-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

Just so you know a Thunda can not tow a 10,000lb travel trailer on the highway at 72mph. Neither can any truck in that class. It does not matter the detailed specs as much as you think.

I would not tow a 10,000lb travel trailer with any 150/1500 series truck except maybe the F-150 with the tow package with the HDPP (Package) as that is a very special truck.

I doubt I would tow a 10,000lb travel trailer with the Nissan HD truck either.

With a travel trailer there is way too much side service that catches the wind and makes it tough for a truck to control.

A 10,000lb boat on a trailer does not need sway control but a travel trailer sure does.

If you stay at 25' and 6,500lbs you will be good with a Toyota Tundra.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
If you stay at 25' and 6,500lbs you will be good with a Toyota Tundra.
I finally found a good source for tow safety data, including brochures for Tundras back to 2007

Tundra tow ratings

One trailer we're looking at is a 2002 Coachmen Cascade 26TB:

Dry - 4,995
GVWR - 7,600
Hitch weight - 650

2002 Coachmen Cascade brochure

We plan to remodel anything we buy, keeping an eye on weight reduction. For example, in the Cascade we would replace dinette w/ small table and barstools, replace fridge w/ smaller chest freezer (run at fridge temps), replace bunks w/ lightweight desk/chair (or something else). Run w/ water/grey/black tanks empty, of course. Add WD/sway hitch if needed.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #7

That would be an ok trailer for the Thundra if you do not pack it full to the GVWR. Even at the GVWR you will be kinda ok.

You will know how comfortable you are. Like ex truck drivers are more comfortable towing heavier than the normal dude like me. A ex trucker diver might tow 8,000lbs with a Toyota Tundra where I would not.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #8

I have a couple of Toyota Highlanders (2002 and 2013) and love them. I wanted to by a Tundra. I started looking at dealers and found out the actually door sticker available payload. Most crew cabs have less than 1200 pounds payload. A double cab may have about 1450. Don't believe the web site specs, you need to actually look at the door stickers on the vehicles.

By the time you add 2-3 people you don't have a lot left for the true loaded trailer tongue weight.

I ended up buying a GMC2500HD double cab because I wanted the 6.5 foot truck bed. I feel very safe towing my 24 foot Arctic Fox 22G.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
We plan to remodel anything we buy, keeping an eye on weight reduction. For example, in the Cascade we would replace dinette w/ small table and barstools, replace fridge w/ smaller chest freezer (run at fridge temps), replace bunks w/ lightweight desk/chair (or something else). Run w/ water/grey/black tanks empty, of course. Add WD/sway hitch if needed.
Doing this to reduce weight is a waste of time and resources. If you plan on doing that, just buy a cargo trailer and put a porta potty in it and a jug of water. Any weight reduction will be minimal and create inconvenience that is simply not worth the slight weight savings.

Most trailers in the 26 ft range are equipped with 3500 lb tandem axles and generally have gross weights in the 6800 to 7700 lb range. A properly equipped Tundra probably can tow such a trailer OK, and a "3/4 ton" truck will tow it just fine.

Charles
Old 05-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #10

CharlesinGA brings up a good point as the RV factory is building travel trailers as light as they can. You will find staples being used where you should be using screws. You will find thin plywood where you should be replacing with thicker plywood.

I do not know anywhere where I would use lesser material than the factory.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Doing this to reduce weight is a waste of time and resources.
While we will 'keep an eye' on weight reduction, it is not our primary motive. These are all mods we would do any way. The fridge is primarily for energy conservation...
Old 05-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #12

I am a bit worried that you are putting too much faith in a little truck. What scares me the most is when I click on the link you provided the 1st thing I see is the Toyota Tundra in front of the space shuttle. You know that is as bogus as it gets...right?

The tow ratings are also bogus as far as towing a travel trailer.

What the manufacturers need is 4 tow ratings.

1. 10,000lbs for flat bed trailer with re-bar.
2. 8,000lbs boat on a trailer
3. 7,500lbs for a cargo trailer
4. 6,500lbs for a travel trailer.

You will not like towing a travel trailer with a Toyota Tundra that weighs more than 6,500lbs and is more than 28' long.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:
I am a bit worried that you are putting too much faith in a little truck. What scares me the most is when I click on the link you provided the 1st thing I see is the Toyota Tundra in front of the space shuttle. You know that is as bogus as it gets...right?

The tow ratings are also bogus as far as towing a travel trailer.

What the manufacturers need is 4 tow ratings.

1. 10,000lbs for flat bed trailer with re-bar.
2. 8,000lbs boat on a trailer
3. 7,500lbs for a cargo trailer
4. 6,500lbs for a travel trailer.

You will not like towing a travel trailer with a Toyota Tundra that weighs more than 6,500lbs and is more than 28' long.
If you re-read my post you will see that I linked to that page because it contains links to many years of Tundra brochures with specs. I have said nothing about Toyota PR stunts.

The only trailer I have mentioned was GVWR of 7600 and length of 26'

So - no reason for fear or worry! And to be honest, I'm rethinking this as the size of living space we want, which *feels* pretty conservative, is a bit more than we could probably feel safe in using a half-ton. So maybe 3/4 ton and a 5er? Not sure now...
Old 05-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #14

My point was even the manufacturers tow ratings are bogus for travel trailers. Notice when they say our truck can tow 10,000lbs. they do not mention which type of trailer they are talking about.

I have a Keystone Vantage 25RBS travel trailer. That trailer is plenty big enough for me. But when my wife is with me that trailer is way too small.

It is easy to find a short 5th wheel 30 - 32 feet with three slides. For two people a 5th wheel with opposing slides that open up the living area gives enough room for people. A wardrobe slide in the bedroom gives good wardrobe space and room in the bedroom. A bed slide gives even more room.

I had a 5th wheel and 2 travel trailers. The advantage of a 5th wheel is how they tow going down the highway. The other advantage is they typically offer more room and much better storage.

A 5th wheel I would recommend is a short 2008 Nuwa 29'. This 5th wheel has 3 slides and opens up to give room for two people and us easy to tow. Excel also made a short 30' 5th wheel. Both these companies are out of business but built 5th wheels with good bones.

Good luck

Tags
trailer