Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

First diesel, tips, hints and definite DON'T

Picking up our first diesel truck tomorrow. I'm looking for any do's or don't's I should be aware of from others that have owned one or many. I'm going to be very aware of what fuel nozzle I'm grabbing and what fuel selection I'm pushing, thanks to a previous post on here. I also understand that getting to normal operating temp is highly recommended, meaning short quick trips better to leave it running. Other than that basic knowledge I'm below the curve until I learn it or worse yet, experience it. The truck is a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6-Speed 850 Torque Output Aisin w/3.73 gear and 38,000 miles. Not even quite sure of the oil change duration. Appreciate any insight, thanks

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er2life View Post
Picking up our first diesel truck tomorrow. I'm looking for any do's or don't's I should be aware of from others that have owned one or many. I'm going to be very aware of what fuel nozzle I'm grabbing and what fuel selection I'm pushing, thanks to a previous post on here. I also understand that getting to normal operating temp is highly recommended, meaning short quick trips better to leave it running. Other than that basic knowledge I'm below the curve until I learn it or worse yet, experience it. The truck is a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6-Speed 850 Torque Output Aisin w/3.73 gear and 38,000 miles. Not even quite sure of the oil change duration. Appreciate any insight, thanks

Dave
First, congratulations on your new-to-you diesel truck!

Don’t be afraid of them, diesels perform differently than gas, but you’ll adjust quickly.

One thing, however. You have a 2014 so it will have DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid), a DPF (Diesel Particle Filter), and EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), as emission systems. You will need to read up on DEF usage and maintenance, as well as DPF regeneration.

Though short trips are not the best for a diesel, neither is extensive idling of DPF equipped engines. It clogs the filter with soot leading to more frequent regerations, and adds soot to the EGR valve as well. The days of diesels idling for hours at a time is over newer engines.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #3

Years ago the "leave it running" was because of the high demand on the starter motor and starting battery.
Today that is no longer true, in fact Cummins engine states extended idling is harmful to the emissions components; they then define extended idling as over 6 minutes.
An idling diesel engine will never reach operating temperature at normal idle RPM=700 RPM.
It's best to drive for 20 miles to reach normal operating temperature.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #4

If ambient air temps drop below 65*F you should get a 'squiggly' indication on instrument panel when you turn key ON (not start)
That is the 'grid heater' icon.....turn key on and wait for light to go out before starting
Grid Heaters warm the intake air at manifold to help in ignition

*Watch Battery Volt Meter...grid heaters pull lots amps and voltage will drop low when grid heaters are energized

Engine uses a VTG ( Variable Turbine Geometry )
utilizes an internal sliding nozzle to cause back pressure for additional braking via an actuator for 'exhaust braking'
Use it or it can bind up
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #5

Watch this as I think it will help you understand the ever so important emissions system. I would recommend 5,000 mile oil changes to remove soot going back into the engine from the EGR.

There are dozens of videos on YouTube about diesel engines.

https://youtu.be/yzRR8BTVsyw
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er2life View Post

Dave
Well what trim level? We have a 2016 Laramie 3500 DRW HO/Aisin and 3.73’s.
Oil change book states 15,000 miles, our 2001 we did 10,000 or once a year.
I have extended warranty so every six months no mater mileage has averaged about 7,000 miles.
Get Fleetguard filters, for oil, fuel and air.
Your Aiskk in n transmission would have had a drain and fill at 30,000 miles, at 60,000 miles drain, drop pan and replace filter.
Fuel filters every 15,000 miles there are two of them one near the rear axle and one on the drivers side of the engine.
I try to avoid short trips, if I do have more than a few, I go for a long drive on the weekend.
If you do some of your own maintenance Geno’s Garage is your friend.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:15 AM   #7

It might seem too obvious, but don't put gasoline into your diesel tank. It can happen easier than you think especially if you let someone else do the filling. Always check the pump handle. There are usually different colors for different fuels but the colors may be different in different parts of the country. A service station I used frequently had a yellow handle for diesel (most diesel handles are green). Then one day they changed the tank to E-85 fuel without notice and without changing the color. As I grabbed the handle I noticed a small sticker that said E-85. Fortunately I caught it on time. Never went back to that station.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #8

Follow your trucks owners manual for maintaining your new to you diesel truck.

For fuel...air...oil filters I use Fleetguard /Mopar https://www.genosgarage.com/category...campaign=MOPAR

In a pinch for time I sometimes use my local Cummins dealer for items for the engine. Dodge/Ram dealers like all dealers can be quite high on engine parts/filter prices.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #9

Try not to blow buy gas engine truck owners when towing. I really frustrates them.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #10

I have had diesels for 20 years are so
1. Change oil every 5000 miles
2. Change fuel filter every other oil change (10000 miles)
3. Only fuel at diesel truck stops. Use DEF from diesel truck stop too. Only remove one cap at at time to not put DEF in fuel tank
4. When towing leave the truck idle to cool down when fueling or stopping for a rest.
5. Don't leave the truck normally idle for long periods but let the turbo cool before shutting it down. I have a Pyrometer on my 06 Cummins and wait until the EGTs are at 200 Degrees before I shut it down.
Change my trans fluid every 50000 miles on my Dodge. My 17 ford will also probably do it at 50000 miles.

Just some thoughts. My Dodge Cummins has 146000 miles on it with no issues. My F350 powerstroke has 21000 miles with no issues. Maintain them and you should have no issues.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #11

Don't put DEF or Gasoline in your fuel tank.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
It might seem too obvious, but don't put gasoline into your diesel tank. It can happen easier than you think especially if you let someone else do the filling.
^This!
May not be a problem where you live but in Oregon it is illegal for you to pump your own fuel. A few years ago I was up in Burns, Oregon to pick up a load of firewood and stopped at a Chevron station to fill up. The attendant came out, grabbed the regular gas nozzle and jammed it into my diesel's fill spout. Luckily I was right there so no gas was pumped into my diesel.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
^This!
May not be a problem where you live but in Oregon it is illegal for you to pump your own fuel. A few years ago I was up in Burns, Oregon to pick up a load of firewood and stopped at a Chevron station to fill up. The attendant came out, grabbed the regular gas nozzle and jammed it into my diesel's fill spout. Luckily I was right there so no gas was pumped into my diesel.

NJ is the only other state where you are not allowed to pump your own gas. You are permitted to pump your own diesel but most people don't realize that and they let the attendant pump it anyway. I saw the attendant fill up a diesel Ford Excursion with gasoline in the next aisle over. The owner caught it but was too late to stop it. They expeditiously took the vehicle into the service bay to drain the tank, as if it happens all the time. By the way, some fuel tanks these days are very difficult to empty. You have to take half the car apart.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #14

I have a 2014 RAM 3500 CCLB SRW with the Cummins 6.7L HO and the AISIN transmission, 3.73gears. I change my oil at 10K miles because I do a lot of city driving, I change my 2 fuel filters at the same time for convenience, I plug my truck in when it is going to be below 40 degrees, it warms up faster. Since I don't tow very often I change my trans fluid at 30K (the manual says 15K for the AISIN), watch your lower front ball joints, they seem to not last but maybe 40K miles (I am having them look into why mine wear out in 40K miles, the tires are not wearing funny and it drives straight. If you live in a cold weather area get yourself some Power Service winterizing conditioner and use it when it is going to be below freezing, it is also a Cetane (octane for diesels) boost, I have also used Howes. also make sure it has had the SCR/DPF recall done, if yours hasn't and it goes out it will de-rate the engine and eventually shut it down. You don't need to change the oil at 5K, that is a waste of money and resources. Geno's garage and Dieselfiltersonline.com are good resources, if you are going to do your own maintenance get you one of these.

https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/...ty-trucks.html

and

a 29MM socket (I believe) for the front fuel filter cap, I bought a low profile socket from Dieselfiltersonline. You will want a low profile socket, the cap is a pain to get to, it is under the brake and booster.

and

from Geno's garage,
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...g/drain-valves

These three items will make your filter changes not such a big mess.

I buy my DEF at Walmart, I use the supertech, I check the protection film before I buy it, get your diesel at a station that sells a lot of diesel fuel, and verify you are using the diesel nozzle, some stations do not use green or yellow for diesel, I once had a Sapp Brothers in Omaha tell me they don't sell a lot of DEF, I was having a lot of issues getting the DEF to pump.

Edit:

Also these trucks don't have a cabin filter (behind the glove box) in them, I bought the kit from Geno's garage, if you have a dog you are going to want one of these.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...-cabin-filters
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tips