Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #15

Setting up your hitch properly would probably go a long way toward improving things, but for that you need weights or measurements. Some people on here will tell you you need a dually for a popup, ill tell you go with your comfort level so long as your axle weights arent exceeded. I wont recommend a newbie to be right at their weight limits or anywhere close, but if youve been around the block a time or two weight is weight. There are some great threads on here about setting up hitches, go to a scale, set yours up PROPERLY and take it for a spin to see how it does. Head to a dealer if youre over on the axles.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2020, 04:42 AM   #16

I searched this sight. No where, and I say no where has anyone recommended a dually truck to tow a pop-up camper. I have seen this statement a few times and as the person writing it knows it is a bogus statement. There really is no reason to make that stupid statement to make your point...unless you think your advice is wrong.

We can wait to see what this person does to fix his squirrely towing truck. I still think he needs a bigger truck to tow a 34' long travel trailer....or a smaller trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:49 AM   #17

Start with the simple things first. Weigh the rig, then set the air pressure in the truck's tires accordingly.

Running max pressure in tires is not going to help handling or road manners. Less tread in contact with the pavement.

Once that's done, then re-evaluate and continue working through the next steps.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I searched this sight. No where, and I say no where has anyone recommended a dually truck to tow a pop-up camper. I have seen this statement a few times and as the person writing it knows it is a bogus statement. There really is no reason to make that stupid statement to make your point...unless you think your advice is wrong.

We can wait to see what this person does to fix his squirrely towing truck. I still think he needs a bigger truck to tow a 34' long travel trailer....or a smaller trailer.
Proper setup of a hitch and proper inflation doesnt cost a dime though, id say this could be a borderline situation.

The dually to tow a popup is an example of hyperbole.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #19

I think every time I see that comment of a dually towing a pop-up I am going to respond - and some people think you can tow the space shuttle with a Toyota Tundra.

https://youtu.be/3weSO1I5hrE
Old 04-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
I think every time I see that comment of a dually towing a pop-up I am going to respond - and some people think you can tow the space shuttle with a Toyota Tundra.

https://youtu.be/3weSO1I5hrE

You are wrong about him requiring a bigger truck. There are several factors in a proper towing setup and the weight of the truck is only one of them and can be countered in a much less expensive manner then replacing the truck or Rv. Once the hitch weight is completely equal on both axles and sway has been eliminated, the setup will be comparable to a motorhome. Cross winds will push both units as a whole such as a motorhome. I have seen minivans pulling 28 ft travel trailers weighing over 5000 with ease and comfort. Its all in the setup. Don't waste your money by needlessly upgrading your truck.
Stevescoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #21

I do not believe I am completely wrong.

So you think you are completely right???

If a mini van is towing a 28' travel trailer I can guarantee at last one engineered weigh rating is being exceeded which is wrong.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #22

Thank you everyone for your input. I’m planning on adjusted my WDH first inflate my tires correctly. Which from what I am gathering would be between 50-60.
I will also try to get to a cat scale to check my weights.
As for a bigger truck I don’t think you are completely wrong( I would love to get a dirty max) but I also don’t think my truck isn’t capable of pulling my trailer safely. I RAN 55-60 heck that’s only 5 under the recommended speed for the trailer tires. I think once I get the balance correct with the WDH and proper tire pressure I’ll be good to go 65. When I was passed by Semi trucks I did t feel any sway.
Thanks again
RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #23

my travel trailer is around 6000# when towing and 28' long. I had a '17 sierra 4x4 ccsb slt 5.3 with 3.42 gears and it towed ok but worked hard while doing it. 67-68 cruise..9-11 mpg. at 34' your going to get sway with that rig combination. I put 1 helper leaf and bilsteins on the rear and ran the tires with more air. not the max. but dont remember the exact #. that helped. like others have said, make sure your hitch is set up right..trailer and truck should sit level when ready to go. maybe go to an rv dealer for that because the bolts in the hitch have to be torqued more than most folks have a torque wrench for.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ71 View Post
So finally got the ol girl out on the maiden voyage. While towing I noticed when I got to about 60 I would feel like the truck was drifting/floating. Granted we had about 15 mph wind so I believe that played a part. But it felt like the front was the issue. Could this be to much air in the tires, I have them all inflated to 80psi. I’m towing with a 2014 1500 Sierra. Weight of the TT is below my max, it weights 6400. Length is 34ft. Could the distribution hitch not be set up correctly. The truck seems to only squat slightly.
The WDH is 4 point sway control equalizer. My truck manual says I can tow 9500 with tongue weight of 1200 with a WDH. My cargo load for truck is 1660. The dealership set up the WDH and they looked at the TT and adjusted from there. No measurements taken. My tires on the side wall say 80 psi max weight the sticker on the driver side says 35 psi cold. Which should I go with?

I traveled with minimum amount of weight and the majority was in the front. Would it make sense to maybe move some to the middle and a little more to the aft?
Stopped by the local tire shop and he said he would run all tires around 60-65.
Any thought or suggestions would be great.

I’m planning on taking it to a cat scale sometime soon to get exact weight
Re-read the response by Itchytoe. Excellent advice and observations. 100% agreement.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #25

Quote:
I do not believe I am completely wrong.

So you think you are completely right???

If a mini van is towing a 28' travel trailer I can guarantee at last one engineered weigh rating is being exceeded which is wrong.
Exceeding what? If a minivan can pull a 3500 lb high profile trailer then it will have no problem pulling a 5,000 lb low profile trailer with the correct setup.
Stevescoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #26

6400 lbs. and 34' long? I would weigh the trailer again as that seems really lite for than length.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Measure your the front end of the truck when setting up the WDH. Use the fender well . After hitching you should be as close as possible to the unloaded fender well height.
Don't worry about the rear too much.
Make sure the TT is parallel to the ground.
Run max PSI in the TT. Run 50 PSI in the truck.
Next is a trip to the scales to see what your weights are. You want at least 12% for tongue weight.
When using the WQ 4 pt sway WDH make sure the L brackets and spring bars are parallel to each other. If the spring bars are angled too much you won't get the friction needed to help with sway.

Yep. All of this.

34’ is an awful big bite for a 1500 regardless of weight.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #28

I'm going to pop in about the truck, not the whole setup or to big/small whatever.
Make sure your truck is ready to tow!
Shocks, tires, wear parts in good shape and appropriate for what you want to do! OEM shocks are usually only good for a year. Make sure your steering components are in good shape. Check sway bar bushings, make sure they're in good shape. For your truck, 60 psi should be max tire pressure. You can go to 65, but it's going to ride bad.
Years ago a 3/4 ton truck could easily pull a 34' trailer and their specs (besides axles) where less than the specs on your truck. I'm not condoning towing a 30+' rv with a 1/2 ton, but that's where you are at and it's your choice.
6_Riders is offline   Reply With Quote