Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Flat Towing Navigator L 2019 behind Dutchstar

Given I have not previously flat towed I am looking for advice on best practices.

Specs: Dutchstar 2016 DP Vehicle: 2019 Navigator L

I have not bought a tow bar yet or initiated any installation.

My interest is what would be the best tow bar for a vehicle this size and weight (< 6,000 Lbs) along with a braking system, and tire pressure monitoring for both vehicles. (I have none at this time)

What should be done to protect the front of the Navigator L (? Bib/Bra)

What are the Best practices when driving down the road with a toad?

Thanks in advance for any help.
JeffJaneDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I will be interested in how you get along towing the Navigator L. We have a 2018 Navigator L but are not towing it. For now we tow our 2019 F-250 but the Navigator is certainly easier to drive around tourist areas.

We decided to tow the F-250 instead only because it was so darn easy to install the tow frames...they basically just replace the existing tow hooks on the truck.

We previously towed a 2015 Ford Explorer with a Blue Ox Avail tow bar and we now use the same tow bar for the F-250. It has a 10,000 pound rating.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #3

My Avalanche weighs 6400#. I tow it with a Blue Ox 10,000# Avail tow bar and use the M&G brake system. Both have performed flawlessly. Add to that a "Protect-A-Tow" and I have the perfect setup for me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Flat Tow Navigator L 2019

Good info - Thanks! I am worried about what it would do to the looks of the front end and/or additional depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellville View Post
I will be interested in how you get along towing the Navigator L. We have a 2018 Navigator L but are not towing it. For now we tow our 2019 F-250 but the Navigator is certainly easier to drive around tourist areas.

We decided to tow the F-250 instead only because it was so darn easy to install the tow frames...they basically just replace the existing tow hooks on the truck.

We previously towed a 2015 Ford Explorer with a Blue Ox Avail tow bar and we now use the same tow bar for the F-250. It has a 10,000 pound rating.
JeffJaneDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #5

For a toad of that ....ahem pedigree I would want a base plate with removable tabs like https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...,336&group_id= I've used Blue Ox equipment and been very satisfied but frankly they are all good. I only have experience with the TST tire pressure monitor system https://tsttruck.com/ and I love mine (now almost 6 years old). Lastly I would look at the Air Force 1 breaking system.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutchstar, tow, towing