Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2021, 06:42 AM   #1

Floating or bonded: Good question...

Doing some major progress as I do have a truck, 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 AND what I think will be nicely paired with it a travel trailer, a 2016 Bullet 248RKS...
I should get it on April 21st if all goes well.
So now I am looking at getting a small generator inverter to take with us as I do plan to boondock as much as possible. Solar will have to wait when the finances have recovered somewhat

I have a few questions regarding this generator:
1/ Should it be bonded or floating neutral... I've look on the internet and I kind of understand the difference between the two. But how are travel trailer wired? Is there a standard?
2/ The generator that I am looking at, beside having a floating neutral, has a 12V DC output rated at only 3A. Would that be enough? I may want to run a water pump to refill my trailer tank from a bladder in the truck...
3/ It is rated at 16.7 amps continuous for the 120V output. Again would that be enough or should I look for a bigger one?

Would appreciate your help to put me on the right track!
Cheers.
Elmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #2

I have a Yamaha 2400IS. It will run a 13,500btu A/C unit if I start the fan, then 1 minute later start the A/C on low. It will not start a 15,000btu A/C unit.

If you do not want to run the A/C then you are good with 16.7 amps. I am thinking you need to add a soft start, or get a bigger, heavier generator to run the A/C.

My next generator will have remote start. So that is my one recommendation - get romote start.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 AM   #3

1. Floating or bonded neutral only comes into play if your using a surge guard device. They check for it.
Because your not tied into our power grid, where neutral is tied to ground, there is no ground fault risk.

2. That 3 amp output is probably at 17 or more volts, useless as a standalone power source.

3. 15 amps may run your AC but nothing else can be on. It can run the Microwave with nothing else on. Charging batteries, cooling food, heating water, TV and charging cell phones, Yes.

What enough is depends on you. What do you want to run ?

A 30 amp service is 3600 watts. If you want the convenience of running everything, you want a generator rated for that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #4

V*I = P so regarding the 12vdc out put, 3 amps would yield 36 watts - might be enough to run a small 12volt water pump but would need to check the pump specs.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #5

Your TT AC panel should be NOT bonded (and that is the standard), that is, "floating" and connecting a floating generator will cause no harm. As twinboat says, only when/if you install a surge protector, some have electronics built in that will not allow a connection to be made due to the 'open ground'. Here is some info and a 'fix' for a situation like that.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:38 AM   #6

I assume your looking at a 2k generator invertor, which will allow basics.
I have a firman 3k gen invertor and can run my entire trailer with it, I do have a 15k ac that I have to make sure either battery charger isnt in a deep charge or it's been running fully warmed up before I kick it on.
So if your not looking at ac, a 2k is fine, with ac I recommend a 3k. Little heavier so not as easy to throw in back of truck, but not terrible either.
ON grounding my firman had a section on the different grounds in manual, dont remeber all the details, but do remember it boiled down to with my 5ver they wanted the external ground on gen hooked to actual earth ground. Never have done it, and it's always worked just fine, just an added safety.
Ftr918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:55 AM   #7

Thank you so much OldWEB.
It is an awesome link that you pointed me to. Lots to read and learn. I will make myself one of those bonding plug and put it on my list of must have. I have about a month to built it before I get the tarvel trailer.
The Honda inverter 3000 does look good too. So quiet. Any other contender for an inverter generator?
Elmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #8

We just started using the Generac GP3000i, quiet and 59 lbs. Good so far! You could also get the SoftStartRV kit that would let you run your a/c with as low as a 2000w generator. (They are even lighter!)
We have the Progressive hard wired EMS in our 5er so we needed to make the "bonding plug", under $10, or the EMS wouldn't turn on the power due to open ground!
You might not need it as most TT's don't.
lisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
V*I = P so regarding the 12vdc out put, 3 amps would yield 36 watts - might be enough to run a small 12volt water pump but would need to check the pump specs.

I think Twinboat missed a -0-. He knows how to do math. Type, maybe not so much. We all fat finger things now and again.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #10

Long Long Honeymoon video on "do you need a generator" (and if so, which one)

https://youtu.be/EDyVK5ZELqY

Virtually all portable generators are floating neutral. You can buy or make a plug that plugs into one of the 120v receptacles that has one wire that loops from the neutral pin to the ground pin, that will make it bonded.

https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Com...34786144&psc=1

Charles