Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2023, 08:41 AM   #15

Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
I had the 36-gal. tank on the Ram switched out to a 55-gal. in 2020 while on our on first trip to Arizona. It took them about 2 hours.

I am interested also. what company installed the larger fuel tank?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
I had the 36-gal. tank on the Ram switched out to a 55-gal. in 2020 while on our on first trip to Arizona. It took them about 2 hours.

I am interested also. what company installed the larger fuel tank?
From the internet the tanks themselves cost between $1,200 to $1,500.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:49 AM   #17

Here's a 30 gallon in bed tank for gas:

https://www.tankandbarrel.com/rectan...nk-p-1231.html
Old 04-14-2023, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mto502 View Post
Here's a 30 gallon in bed tank for gas:

https://www.tankandbarrel.com/rectan...nk-p-1231.html
There is a second location for a future fuel location right beside where I put gas in.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have the FJ RV Lanes list plus I check using Google maps for these to get an idea before I get there.
Great idea, I use almost exclusively FJ RV pumps. The only time I ever witnessed a problem was when a fiver tried coming in the opposite direction. That was a quite a sight.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:22 PM   #20

Quote:
I have the FJ RV Lanes list plus I check using Google maps for these to get an idea before I get there.

Where did you get the list. I have searched and found no specific listing of stations with RV, TT specific gas lanes. I even called Flying J and they told me I would just have to look at each one to see if they are available.
That rep even told me that he has a lot of other inquire about this.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:40 PM   #21

At Flying J I usually just try to get to the pumps on the end and find that easier than the RV Lanes a lot of times.
However, I prefer to stop at Loves most of the time because they normally have more room between the pumps and the store, making it easier to use the end pumps and make the turn to get out.
I used to have a diesel combo fuel/tool box in the back of my truck and it worked great. I didn't have to be concerned about running out of fuel. If you get this type of extra fuel capacity get the electric pump or automatic feed system (I was cheap and got the manual pump, which worked, but also gave me a workout).
Probably the best solution is to get a larger tank installed or an extra tank installed underneath the truck (whichever is possible and gives the most capacity) as others have mentioned.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
There are multiple sellers of in the bed tanks. Titan and Transfer Flow make great replacement under bed tanks. Plastic or metal. I had a 26 gallon in a short bed replaced with a 50 gallon at a Ford dealer near home once. Big difference in trip at @ 10 mpg. HankK
Old 04-16-2023, 03:52 PM   #23

Quote:
How big of a deal is it to install an auxiliary fuel tank? I have a 36 gallon tank now.

Right now I am leaning toward taking some five gallon gas cans along to cut down my stops. I would pour them in my fuel tank at a rest area. This way I could make it from campground to campground and fill up at while at them.
How do gas cans cut down on your stops? You still have to stop to refuel only you are using gas cans vs. an automated pump. Maybe it's quicker because you don't have to pay?
But at some point you have to spend time refilling the cans so are you really saving time.
I see a larger replacement tank in your future.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:59 PM   #24

I dont know about the specific places you are asking about. But I've got a similar rig..
20 foot long gas Ram 2500 and 30 foot trailer. I usually don't have too much trouble. With a gas truck, the key is to not wait until you are very low to gas up. I usually look for exits that have multiple gas stations so I can pick the one that looks easiest to get in and out of. And because I stop before the need is critical, I have enough of a reserve where I can go on another exit or two if I'm not finding a place I like. Just don't wait till it's an emergency and you will be fine.
DRAGN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #25

I got a S&B 68 gallon fuel tank for my F250. It’s a direct replacement for the 34 gallon OEM tank. A friend and I did it in less than 2 hours. If you don’t want to do it there are many shops out the that can. They meme them for gassers too.
Since I’m in a diesel, I just use my TSD card in the truck lanes.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:19 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
They used to have a searchable locations list on their website that you could actually download in Excel format. Some of us were lucky enough to do that. Now all they have is an interactive locator on a map. Unfortunately the forum won't you to upload an excel file
It's got every Pilot, FJ and Road Ranger location in US and Canada, address, phone # exit # and all amenities
I filter it out by our route and the ones with RV lanes, parking etc.. They took it down in 2021 though. If there was a way to upload it I'd gladly share the one I have
Poorbutrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
I guess you have to determine that on a case by case basis. I avoid Flying/J and Pilot as they do not sell top tier gas(ask an engine builder, yes, you want it).
Everyone sells top tier gas after GM sued the oil companies over it,your engine builder is miss informed.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:21 PM   #28

I drive a 40' diesel pusher pulling a chevy equinox and I use the rv pumps with zero issues.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump