Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I towed with a similar Expedition and it had an 8600 pound trailer limit and 1460 pounds of cargo capacity so pretty close to the majority of half ton pickup trucks. In fact more than some.

My trailer weighs 7500 pounds and with 1000 pounds on the tongue it rode very well, not scary like that one, although the first drive home from the dealer had a bit more sway due to the hitch being poorly adjusted. Had to put 2 more washers in to restore half the weight to the front wheels so it was a bit spooky.

The fact that after the first couple smaller sway events there still was no brake lights shows that he was not aware that manually applying the trailer brakes while maintaining some throttle will straighten the trailer out and stop the sway, allowing you to slow down, stop and find new shorts in the wardrobe closet.

The setup must have been poor to start with and lack of experience finished it off.

There is nothing wrong with towing at the upper end of a vehicles capability if the driver knows how to handle emergency situations.We just need to be conservative on saying " it can for sure handle that trailer" without knowing the persons capabilities. That is the chief reason I often suggest a 3/4 ton truck for new towers with trailers over 6000 gross weight. If they survive the first 1000 miles then that half ton will do the job for many years but a bigger truck gives them a better chance of making it past that first 1000.

I still think it ought to be mandatory to take a safe towing class much the same way we have to for boating. At least SOME of the people will learn how to do it safely.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #16

Heck of a hitch.......trailer STAYED connected thru the swaying, thru the jack knifing, thru the roll over and then thru the flip to other side.

Heck of a hitch!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
The fact that after the first couple smaller sway events there still was no brake lights shows that he was not aware that manually applying the trailer brakes while maintaining some throttle will straighten the trailer out and stop the sway, allowing you to slow down, stop and find new shorts in the wardrobe closet.

The setup must have been poor to start with and lack of experience finished it off.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Like most things in life, really bad things take a series of bad decisions. Bad towing setup, likely overloaded and unskilled or inexperienced driver.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
For all those over loading the tow vehicle and think it is fine

I had someone do almost the exact same thing as guy in video a few years ago in North Carolina right in front of us. I would swear trailer tires lifted off the ground. He got control and pulled over, I am sure he was changing his shorts.
Good thing he got it under control, it was at point in highway where highways merged so it was four lanes of traffic and us right behind them.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's some pictures of the aftermath:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	170478

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	170479

Name:	IMG_1149.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	170480

Name:	IMG_1148.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	170481
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #20

That'll buff out.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #21

I hate it for those on a vacation/camping trip... I wouldn't wish it on anybody... But Hopefully a few will learn from these forum's what to look for,,, and to slow down when not comfortable.... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I hate it for those on a vacation/camping trip... I wouldn't wish it on anybody... But Hopefully a few will learn from these forum's what to look for,,, and to slow down when not comfortable.... Monkey

It fortunate that no one was injured. I travel that section of the Garden State Parkway everyday. If it had happened on a Friday afternoon (summertime at the Jersey Shore) I could almost guarantee it would have ended up much worse
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #23

I don't think he used manual override, but not all cause the brake lights to come on so it is hard to say if he applied brakes using it. Sad to see but luckily no one was injured.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #24

Powderman- I doubt the whole setup was right. usually you set the brakes for the camper that the vehicle and the camper braking similar. if he would had set it up this way, he would had been able to catch it early enough- but he didn't even slow down as it started swaying- all he had to do is, get off the gas- this shows me, that the driver was in panic and had no earthly idea, what to do. How probably 80% of camper pullers on America's roads too. I don't make the driver responsible, I make the dealer responsible, where he bought it- or hand to the heart- did one dealer took his time to hook you up and explain everything? helped you with adjusting the WDH? made a test drive with you and helped you set up the trailer brakes? I know one thing for sure- CW don't even give a damn already after you signed the contract and left, waiting on the pick up day. I wonder, how many dealers really take their time and do a 100% coverage? I bought my first camper, and the dealer pulled it to the front and said: here it is- have a nice day. expecting me to know everything- I can remember, if I would had not watched endless youtube videos to how to hook up a camper- I would had been lost.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #25

Well, here is my .02 worth on this. I would never have bought that trailer in the first place simply because the axles are to close to the center, I have been pulling trailers all my life, from farm as a kid to 18 wheelers as an adult and that was a nightmare waiting to happen. I have seen 10 foot trailers not set up right do the same thing. Yes he needed more tongue weight but I would have walked right past that trailer at purchase time and said quite loudly NOPE simply because of the axle position.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post
Well, here is my .02 worth on this. I would never have bought that trailer in the first place simply because the axles are to close to the center, I have been pulling trailers all my life, from farm as a kid to 18 wheelers as an adult and that was a nightmare waiting to happen. I have seen 10 foot trailers not set up right do the same thing. Yes he needed more tongue weight but I would have walked right past that trailer at purchase time and said quite loudly NOPE simply because of the axle position.
In Europe, this axle position is normal. They have laws, which restricts vehicle to - don't laugh- 50-100kg tongue weight!!!
but the campers there also have to have a independent brake- mostly air and not adjustable from the tow vehicle. Electric brakes are strictly prohibited!- and also have to have as integrated sway control. They also have a automated system, when you brake, the head will push into a guide and activate the brakes (needs to be manually disabled, when backing up- it has to automatically enable, when pulling forward).
They also have the law, that the wheel base can't be more than 90cm to count as one axle- if the axles are further apart, you need a separate driver's license.
the newest law even goes as far, that if you want to drive anything, you have to go to driving school and make a trailer license!
The only problem I see with the centered wheels:
1. weight distribution- even though the camper appears balanced, it is very sensitive on, how you load.
2. the overhang in the rear is so long, that you will eventually scrape every piece of asphalt off with your jacks, when you go up a ramp or on downhill curves on a camp ground.
other than that- seems to work out- a US camper would never be allowed there- I have a friend there at the Munich police department- he seen a picture of my Weight Distribution Hitch and was horrified, that something like that can be legal anywhere in this world- he never seen something like that.
on the other hand- you ain't gonna believe, what they pull with a golf 1.6 TDI- here- everybody would rather die than drive one of those combinations! I showed a picture to my wife and she was just shaking her head.

But this just as info. If done right, it can have some advantage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Golf with camper.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	170517   Click image for larger version

Name:	European Camper.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	170518  

guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #27

It would work if you loaded the front only, if you start putting things in the back its going to be off balance and sway every time. Thats why I like my axles back farther, it loads the tongue. People dont understand that when they are amateurs, tongue weight is more than how many lbs are on the tongue, you can have 1000lbs of tongue weight but if you have 1500lbs on the back, its not loaded tongue weight its not balanced and will sway, sway, sway.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
In Europe, this axle position is normal. They have laws, which restricts vehicle to - don't laugh- 50-100kg tongue weight!!!
but the campers there also have to have a independent brake- mostly air and not adjustable from the tow vehicle. Electric brakes are strictly prohibited!- and also have to have as integrated sway control. They also have a automated system, when you brake, the head will push into a guide and activate the brakes (needs to be manually disabled, when backing up- it has to automatically enable, when pulling forward).
They also have the law, that the wheel base can't be more than 90cm to count as one axle- if the axles are further apart, you need a separate driver's license.
the newest law even goes as far, that if you want to drive anything, you have to go to driving school and make a trailer license!
The only problem I see with the centered wheels:
1. weight distribution- even though the camper appears balanced, it is very sensitive on, how you load.
2. the overhang in the rear is so long, that you will eventually scrape every piece of asphalt off with your jacks, when you go up a ramp or on downhill curves on a camp ground.
other than that- seems to work out- a US camper would never be allowed there- I have a friend there at the Munich police department- he seen a picture of my Weight Distribution Hitch and was horrified, that something like that can be legal anywhere in this world- he never seen something like that.
on the other hand- you ain't gonna believe, what they pull with a golf 1.6 TDI- here- everybody would rather die than drive one of those combinations! I showed a picture to my wife and she was just shaking her head.

But this just as info. If done right, it can have some advantage.

I do wonder how much those trailers weigh being pulled by those cars, I bet they are SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT trailers.

Tags
tow