Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

For the GMC Electric Hummer crowd. A little more info.

Some more info on quantities, timelines, prices etc.

https://electrek.co/2020/12/21/gmc-h...se-production/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Some more info on quantities, timelines, prices etc.

https://electrek.co/2020/12/21/gmc-h...se-production/
and so it begins, can't wait to hear from someone that buys one and tries to pull a trailer with it, as range swiftly drops to horribly inconvenient. Don't forget, it take less than 5 minutes to fuel a pickup, there's rarely a line, and our coal industry can't even keep up with America's current power requirements with only 2% of vehicles on the road running all Electric.

If 2% EV turns into 60% EV before our power grid is revolutionized (about 10-20 years by fusion energy or similar), rolling blackouts and brownouts of the 2003 Northeast type will be common again.
gator398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator398 View Post
and so it begins, can't wait to hear from someone that buys one and tries to pull a trailer with it, as range swiftly drops to horribly inconvenient. Don't forget, it take less than 5 minutes to fuel a pickup, there's rarely a line, and our coal industry can't even keep up with America's current power requirements with only 2% of vehicles on the road running all Electric.

If 2% EV turns into 60% EV before our power grid is revolutionized (about 10-20 years by fusion energy or similar), rolling blackouts and brownouts of the 2003 Northeast type will be common again.
Meh. I think it’s more meant for the small wilderness type back woods camper. That’s who their target market is. 2000 - 3000 pound off road pod type trailers. It’ll pull them fine.

Utilities are counting on having to add 1/2 to 1 percent capacity per year for a few decades to cover the transition of all vehicles. Shouldn’t be a problem for most countries.

Coal? Not a chance. Coal power is way to expensive compared to all the alternatives.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #4

I just keep wondering how large of a gas burning generator I'll need to keep running in my pickup bed to charge my electric truck as it's rolling down the highway??
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I just keep wondering how large of a gas burning generator I'll need to keep running in my pickup bed to charge my electric truck as it's rolling down the highway??
It wouldn’t work. The software doesn’t allow it. As soon as the charge port is connected the car is disabled. Otherwise I would have driven away with my garage in tow a long time ago. .
Old 12-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
It wouldn’t work. The software doesn’t allow it. As soon as the charge port is connected the car is disabled. Otherwise I would have driven away with my garage in tow a long time ago. .
LOL... I suppose that's a good feature. I guess I'll have to pull over before I fire up my generator
Old 12-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
LOL... I suppose that's a good feature. I guess I'll have to pull over before I fire up my generator
Heh heh. For sure. . There has been some conjecture that the Cybertruck will be equipped with dual chargers like the early model S’s. So max charge rate with a generator would be 80 amps at 240 volts. If not it would be the standard 48 amps at 240 volts. Time will tell. If it’s the former you could use a 20 KW generator....and lots of patience. . Better to hit a Supercharger. .
Old 12-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #8

I watched a 30+ minute pre-production YouTube review of the Hummer. Wow! It confirmed about how tech-phobic I have become and probably wouldn't own one under any circumstance. The video game aspect and tech control leaves me to believe many are going to be stranded requiring repairs that they can't perform themselves. This might be an aging out of the mainstream thing but I dislike electronic gizmos that distract my attention while driving. Call me a geezer, but I prefer to drive with my hands on the steering wheel.

I do believe electric vehicles have much practical value under some circumstances. Offer me one with an off/on switch and a foot pedal like golf cart and I would consider it.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I watched a 30+ minute pre-production YouTube review of the Hummer. Wow! It confirmed about how tech-phobic I have become and probably wouldn't own one under any circumstance. The video game aspect and tech control leaves me to believe many are going to be stranded requiring repairs that they can't perform themselves. This might be an aging out of the mainstream thing but I dislike electronic gizmos that distract my attention while driving. Call me a geezer, but I prefer to drive with my hands on the steering wheel.

I do believe electric vehicles have much practical value under some circumstances. Offer me one with an off/on switch and a foot pedal like golf cart and I would consider it.
Yah that hummer looks like it will have some bleeding edge tech on it.

But in response to this part of your post: "Offer me one with an off/on switch and a foot pedal like golf cart and I would consider it"

EV cars are basically like that...or at least the newer ones. With a Tesla you don't even have an on switch. The car detects your phone presence and as soon as your butt hits the seat the car is enabled. Put it in gear and drive away. Even most basic functions are all voice controlled, heat, AC, heated seats, wipers, defrost, entertainment, navigation. Just tell the car what you want. I can literally say "my wifes a$$ is cold" and her seat heater comes on. It recognizes common slang etc. You can also access all functions on the centre screen. No complicated menus. Super easy to use. The first hour is kind of interesting though.

Pedals? For the most part you'll only use the accelerator as the regenerative braking software will bring the car to a stop. Literally one pedal driving. On highways no requirement to steer as that is all automatic. Its a level 2 system so needs to be monitored etc. Hands should be on the wheel as per the prompts.

Pricey though. They start around 38000 and go up from there. Easy to hit 50 grand if you want all wheel drive, fancy rims, white interiour etc.

The car comes included with the destination level 2 charge device. You can mount it on the wall if you choose. Pic below. You can coneect to an ordinary 15 amp 120 circuit or have a 14-50 RV receptacle put in for faster charging.

Couple pics of my wifes model 3. She wanted a sedan but they are also available as SUV's. Not sure of the price.

Hopefully that was informative. There are other brands but I am less informed on those. We had a first generation leaf for almost 5 years but it was more of a commuter car with a limited 180 ish kilometers of range. Served us well though. I still see it driving around town.

Cheers.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I doubt that many of them will be used for off road purpose like many Jeep Toads that only see gravel parking lots as off road.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
I doubt that many of them will be used for off road purpose like many Jeep Toads that only see gravel parking lots as off road.
Thats kind of the way it is with pick ups here. I think lots of them have never had anything in their box except grocery bags and they have never towed so much as a utility trailer. To each his own.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
YThe car detects your phone presence and as soon as your butt hits the seat the car is enabled.
I was out dry camping in an area with zero cell service and a nice couple carrying a toddler walked up to my campsite and asked, "where is the cell service?" It seems they started their Tesla with a phone and drove out to the boonies and shut off the car which screwed them. I was absolutley amazed that the technology would allow a person to make an error like this. I drove them 30 minutes to cell service and heard the 1-800 Tesla lady tell her there was nothing that could be done without cell service or the key (which they had left at home).

I don't know what ever happened but the car wasn't gone until midway through the next day. After driving for an hour and waiting through a 20 minute phone call I figured I had done my part. I told them to come by if they needed anything to eat or to survive but they ended up hooking up with some other campers.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
I was out dry camping in an area with zero cell service and a nice couple carrying a toddler walked up to my campsite and asked, "where is the cell service?" It seems they started their Tesla with a phone and drove out to the boonies and shut off the car which screwed them. I was absolutley amazed that the technology would allow a person to make an error like this. I drove them 30 minutes to cell service and heard the 1-800 Tesla lady tell her there was nothing that could be done without cell service or the key (which they had left at home).

I don't know what ever happened but the car wasn't gone until midway through the next day. After driving for an hour and waiting through a 20 minute phone call I figured I had done my part. I told them to come by if they needed anything to eat or to survive but they ended up hooking up with some other campers.
Not quite sure how this happened, Tesla uses your phone's bluetooth to connect, no cell service required. Rarely you must reboot your bluetooth on your phone to get it to connect, but it has happened to me once or twice in 2 years.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:

Yah. They were morons. They should read their manual. The car can be activated by cell phone, (no connection to cell service needed) by key card which fits in your wallet like a credit card, by a FOB, by a ring or just calling Tesla and having them start it for you. I don't always carry my phone but my ring is always on my finger and wife has a fob in the purse.

Too funny. Sure they weren't pulling your leg?

Tags
electric