Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 04:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Yes, it's a dually, but no sunroof. I'm aware of the alloy wheel issue and will be seeing what my options are in that regard; there must be rubber or brass stems that will stop galvanic corrosion
There are valve stems sold by Ford that are supposed to stop the corrosion. I paid $67.00 each for them IIRC, but it didn't correct the problem. It did slow it down. I used to have to add air before every single trip, now I only have to add air about once every three days. It could be that the corrosion was so bad on my wheels that nothing will ever completely seal and it could be that new models come from the factory with the new valve stems already and there is no problem. Admittedly I haven't stayed on top of how the issue has been affecting owners of 2019 and newer models. I exceeded 100,000 miles the first year so nothing has been covered by warranty.
Another pet peeve of mine is that I've got a truck with two alternators and two batteries yet Ford doesn't seem to think I can manage the power system on my own. I really hate that all the power ports go dead when the truck is turned off.
For all it's foibles I believe the Ford is the better of the top three when it comes to longevity, comfort and fit/finish. I'm climbing up on 300,000 miles and probably put 10 years of wear on my truck in the first year, but you couldn't tell it by looking at it or driving it.
I no longer pull campers commercially and my fiver is only about 5 feet longer than my truck so no longer really need a DRW. I've had the opportunity to trade mine in for more than I paid for it and get a Ram 3500 SRW but just couldn't bring myself to make the switch. When all is said and done, I really do like my truck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #44

I owned an 07 gmc 2500..with the real allison.
All on all I thought it was a good tranny. Sometimes it downshifted going down hills in th mode. The downshifts were a bit dramatic.
But overall it performed flawlessly..I traded it in a year ago on a ram 3500 dually..
Researching through forums and test driving different trucks the newer 10 speeds are not the same allison..I know it's just an allison badged
Tranny...with the rams I test drove unladen (of course) both the 68rfe and the Aisen..I preffered
The 68rfe ..Shifted so much better it seems. The aisen was all over the place...Reading forums
showed ram hasn't quite figured their HD trannys
out quite yet imho.. the forums are full of sad tales
Of both aisens and 68rfe trannys blowing up.
When I found a slightly used 17 3500 with a
G56 tranny and 28k on the odo I snatched it up.
It needed a clutch and the dealer was having issues getting an OEM (junk) clutch from ram.
They agreed at my insistence to put a southbend dual disk single mass flywheel clutch in the truck..it holds quite well..So I'm back to a
6 SPD manual (which I prefer anyway)and so far it's been great.. time will tell..
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I owned an 07 gmc 2500..with the real allison.
All on all I thought it was a good tranny. Sometimes it downshifted going down hills in th mode. The downshifts were a bit dramatic.
But overall it performed flawlessly..I traded it in a year ago on a ram 3500 dually..
Researching through forums and test driving different trucks the newer 10 speeds are not the same allison..I know it's just an allison badged
Tranny...with the rams I test drove unladen (of course) both the 68rfe and the Aisen..I preffered
The 68rfe ..Shifted so much better it seems. The aisen was all over the place...Reading forums
showed ram hasn't quite figured their HD trannys
out quite yet imho.. the forums are full of sad tales
Of both aisens and 68rfe trannys blowing up.
When I found a slightly used 17 3500 with a
G56 tranny and 28k on the odo I snatched it up.
It needed a clutch and the dealer was having issues getting an OEM (junk) clutch from ram.
They agreed at my insistence to put a southbend dual disk single mass flywheel clutch in the truck..it holds quite well..So I'm back to a
6 SPD manual (which I prefer anyway)and so far it's been great.. time will tell..
I have three CTD's with the 6spd; two NV5600's and one G56 - I replaced the stock clutch in the G56 with a solid flywheel and Southbend and it's been great - maybe not quite as strong a tranny as the NV5600 but it shifts nicer. The CTD 6spd manual is a great combo and I wish they still made them.

Dave
Old 08-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
There are valve stems sold by Ford that are supposed to stop the corrosion. I paid $67.00 each for them IIRC, but it didn't correct the problem. It did slow it down. I used to have to add air before every single trip, now I only have to add air about once every three days. It could be that the corrosion was so bad on my wheels that nothing will ever completely seal and it could be that new models come from the factory with the new valve stems already and there is no problem. Admittedly I haven't stayed on top of how the issue has been affecting owners of 2019 and newer models. I exceeded 100,000 miles the first year so nothing has been covered by warranty.
Another pet peeve of mine is that I've got a truck with two alternators and two batteries yet Ford doesn't seem to think I can manage the power system on my own. I really hate that all the power ports go dead when the truck is turned off.
For all it's foibles I believe the Ford is the better of the top three when it comes to longevity, comfort and fit/finish. I'm climbing up on 300,000 miles and probably put 10 years of wear on my truck in the first year, but you couldn't tell it by looking at it or driving it.
I no longer pull campers commercially and my fiver is only about 5 feet longer than my truck so no longer really need a DRW. I've had the opportunity to trade mine in for more than I paid for it and get a Ram 3500 SRW but just couldn't bring myself to make the switch. When all is said and done, I really do like my truck.

Thanks for the info and I hope my truck is as good as yours has been. I'll check into any changes they've made with regards to the wheels and valve stems in the last few years. I didn't need a dually either but the truck was otherwise as I would have ordered it and since there are no new trucks on the lots and an order would take 9-12 months, I snapped it up.

Dave
Old 08-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Thanks for the info and I hope my truck is as good as yours has been. I'll check into any changes they've made with regards to the wheels and valve stems in the last few years. I didn't need a dually either but the truck was otherwise as I would have ordered it and since there are no new trucks on the lots and an order would take 9-12 months, I snapped it up.

Dave
I can't imagine a qualified repair shop not being able to solve the problem. If the wheels were so pitted and gouged,with chrome peeling off or such then wheel replacement is the preferred route.

Remounting with appropriate rustproof lubricant should solve this. Does your dually have TPMS?
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I can't imagine a qualified repair shop not being able to solve the problem. If the wheels were so pitted and gouged,with chrome peeling off or such then wheel replacement is the preferred route.

Remounting with appropriate rustproof lubricant should solve this. Does your dually have TPMS?
Yes it has TPMS. I just looked and the front alloys have rubber valve stems but the rears have some sort of metal ones, so maybe the fix is to replace the two outside rears with rubber valve stems before galvanic corrosion takes hold....

Dave
Old 08-03-2022, 04:41 AM   #49

Here is a link to a thread with more details on the Allison I started asking about the branding. Page two is where it becomes informative. There are real GM engineers in there that provide good knowledge. If you don’t believe their info, let’s just say I had a TSB changed based off of pictures I posted on the forum and them updating it.

As for the differences, the GM 10-speed is great compared to the Cummins. There are great driver reviews which compare the two and talk about the harshness of one to the other. Fairly easy to find as well.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads...ssion.1018957/
CampingfamCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
TThe Aisin is an 8 speed so doubt there would be much noticable difference except roughness of shifts.
The Aisin in my 2021 is a 6-speed. Did they update this year?

Sorry - i see this was already covered in other comments, please ignore accordingly.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #51

Quote:
I have three CTD's with the 6spd; two NV5600's and one G56 - I replaced the stock clutch in the G56 with a solid flywheel and Southbend and it's been great - maybe not quite as strong a tranny as the NV5600 but it shifts nicer. The CTD 6spd manual is a great combo and I wish they still made them.

Dave
Ram auto trannys have been at the bottom for
Many years...I dont know why they havnt figured it out..cummins is such a good engine..its a shame really..the big 3 compete constantly in this HD platform..Ram only wins with the cummins and the fact they usually come in a bit cheaper than
The other 2...
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Ram auto trannys have been at the bottom for
Many years...I dont know why they havnt figured it out..cummins is such a good engine..its a shame really..the big 3 compete constantly in this HD platform..Ram only wins with the cummins and the fact they usually come in a bit cheaper than
The other 2...
Yep, they need to make the HO/Aisin standard and it'd be better if the Aisin was an 8 or 10spd. I've had a 47RE (2001.5 5.9 CTD) and a 68RFE (2008 6.7 CTD) and while I didn't have problems with either, I was leary.....esp with the 47. The 5.9 CTD/6spd manuals were great trucks.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:15 PM   #53

Plenty of information out there about Ram using the ZF medium duty 8 Speed in the near future. It’s already in production in other applications. Seems to be a 2024 model year release so we’ll see come spring time.

Not sure why it took so long as this information was leaked out two years ago.

The ZF 8HP variants are arguably the best stepped AT’s out there used by the Germans and American/Italians. I would expect their HD version to be another winner.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADP4301 View Post
Plenty of information out there about Ram using the ZF medium duty 8 Speed in the near future. It’s already in production in other applications. Seems to be a 2024 model year release so we’ll see come spring time.

Not sure why it took so long as this information was leaked out two years ago.

The ZF 8HP variants are arguably the best stepped AT’s out there used by the Germans and American/Italians. I would expect their HD version to be another winner.
That would be good if it happens; the ZF8 is a great tranny; I had one in my Jaguar F Type, and have them in both my Audi SQ8 and BMW Z4 M40i
Old 08-17-2022, 07:16 PM   #55

Quote:
Camping now; first run with my F350 10spd yesterday and all I can say is that it's pretty slick.
Looking at one now, 2021 6.7 10 speed 4:10 gear. Are you happy with it?
lifguardct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifguardct View Post
Looking at one now, 2021 6.7 10 speed 4:10 gear. Are you happy with it?
Very; it's a tow beast - quiet, smokeless, effortless power. The tranny shifts smooth and intuitively both empty and loaded. No more worrying about monitoring the EGT and temp gauges and with my 25RDS (9,995 GVWR and 31' 2" OAL) the Super Duty doesn't break a sweat - I can go as fast as I like or am comfortable with regardless of grade.

Mine is an F350 DRW CC with 3.55 gears and is equipped with the UTTP and 5th wheel prep. Since the truck is overkill for my current trailer, and after looking at all the weights, I don't bother with a WD setup as I have no need to transfer any of the tongue weight off the rear back to the front axle. The truck is equipped with a trailer sway control system but it hasn't kicked in so far and hopefully it never will. The very nicest thing compared to my 2003 CTD is the integrated trailer brake which operates by modulating the trailer brakes based on TV brake pedal pressure and it also reduces output below 18mph so no more jerky trailers when driving at low speeds and coming to a stop.

2 cents,
Dave

Tags
ford