Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Ford Eco-Boost best oil to use?

My step son just bought a 2018 Ford Raptor with the high strung (Gen 2) 3.5 Eco-Boost engine. I know Ford builds those engines with oil cooling jets for the cylinders. To me, that would cook the oil.

What do you guys use?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

Many diesel engine use piston cooling jets, been doing it for a long time.

Use what the spec says on the oil fill cap.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #3

I use Castrol Edge full synthetic in my Navigator. Same engine. As far as piston cooling jets, there is always oil on the cylinder walls under the rings, and there is oil pumping through the turbo, spraying the piston skirts isn't going to add any more stress to the oil.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #4

I have a 2016 Ford Expedition EL with the V6 twin turbo Ecoboost Engine.

As for oil- I use the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in all my vehicles.

But more importantly, I was told to keep the Ecoboost engine away from Ethanol blended gasolines- supposedly the Ecoboost engines will run too hot.

Additionally, as these are direct injection engines, I installed an oil catch can in the EGR system - with the direct injection designs the intake valves don't have the cleaning effect of the fuel mix hitting the valve, without which the recirculated dirty crankcase vapors can coke up the intake valves.

I'm not an automotive mechanical engineer, but it made sense to me....
Plastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

More importantly than brand is being proactive on changing it out.
Range depends on many factors including driving habits, city or hwy, and towing.
Using a synthetic I would run anywhere from 5 to 8k miles depending on those factors.
If under warranty always follow the book on intervals or sooner.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #6

With two eco boost engines now, and two we previously owned I have used Mobil One full synthetic in them all. Also use it in the Ford 6.2 supercharged 600 hp F150. They never use any oil and never needed a catch can. In most aeres itís almost impossible to find pure gas without any alcohol as most state mandate it in all gasoline. And I always buy the lowest octane which is cheapest price, in the eco boost vehicles. The 600 hp F150 always gets 91 or higher octane as thatís what it requires and I donít want to mess up a $20 K engine.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #7

I am kinda worried about the 29 year old males driving habits. He liked the Raptor solely on looks and it was fast. He will be hot rodding it.

I heard this engine runs hot, and could coke up. Unfortunately ethanol is in the gasoline in his area. The 3.5 eco-boost is a good engine and would last a long time if treated nice.

The turbo has me most worried.

So I will advise a sythetic oil change at 5,000 miles and to use Mototcraft or Napa Gold (Wix) filters.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Follow the specs in the owner's manual for a minimum. More frequent oil changes than the manufacturer advises won't hurt anything except the wallet.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My step son just bought a 2018 Ford Raptor with the high strung (Gen 2) 3.5 Eco-Boost engine. I know Ford builds those engines with oil cooling jets for the cylinders. To me, that would cook the oil.

What do you guys use?
Use what the Owner's Guide specifies. 5w30 synthetic blend that meets Ford specification WSS-M2C946-B1. That's a different spec than for the non-turbo engines, so pay attention.

To be certain, use MotorCraft brand 5w30 synthetic blend, but the Mobil 1 website says Mobil 1 full-synthetic "Truck and SUV" also meets spec WSS-M2C946-B1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil 1 website
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:...
•Ford WSS-M2C946-B1
My satellite ISP is being pokey this morning, so I haven't seen the specs for plain ole Mobil 1, but it may also meet that spec.

As to the oil change interval (OCI), the 2019 Owner's Guide says to go by the "information display". When the dashboard says maintenance is required, check the codes and if it says to change the oil then change the oil immediately, even with heavy towing. The only definite OCI is if you drive on dusty roads, then change the oil an filter every 5,000 miles, even if the dash light has not yet indicated "maintenance required".
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

There you go - you think you are doing things pretty smartly, and then someone like SmokeyWren schools you as to the right way to do things and the reason why.

Fortunately for me, the current Mobil 1 website says of their 5W30 grade -

"Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
Ö..
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1."

Having said that, I will be looking for the Truck and SUV version in the future.

Additionally, from what I have seen, I too will be switching to NAPA or Wix filters.
Plastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #11

I like Napa Sythetic Oil and Napa Gold fiters. Napa Sythetic is made by Valvoline which is a good oil.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I like Napa Sythetic Oil and Napa Gold fiters. Napa Sythetic is made by Valvoline which is a good oil.
May be, but neither NAPA nor Valvoline say if it meets the Ford spec for an EcoBoost engine.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...5e4e3ace62ca66
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:12 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While mine is under warranty it gets whatever the Ford dealer gives it at 1000 miles less than the book interval. After that it will likely get Mobil1.
With Fords the filter may be more important. I use Motorcraft or Wix but just make sure it has an anti drain-back valve or you will have no oil pressure at startup.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford