Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
Sound like a plan?
Sounds like a plan.

Next problem is finding a V-10 X-Car that is mechanically sound and has had excellent care. That's the same problem with any used vehicle. I hate that search, so that's why I haven't bought a used vehicle for the last 30 years. Do the math, and if you have to make payments, you'll probably find that payments on a $15,000 used truck are about the same as on a $30,000 new one.

In your case, I'd order exactly enough new truck to tow that trailer. Special order it to get what you need but no extras you can do without. For example, to tow an 8,000-pound TT, I'd order a 2014 F-150 XL SuperCab with the HD payload package and the max tow package. That requires EcoBoost engine and 3.73 limited slip axle. You don't need 4x4 to tow a TT, so save a coupla grand by ordering a 4x2. I insist on cruise control, power door locks, and no plastic seats. For an F-150, it would be this one that has 2013 specs, but order a 2014 instead because you can no longer order a 2013:

F-150 XL, SuperCab, 8' box, EcoBoost engine, 4x2, 3.73 LS axle, HD payload pkg = $31,635 MSRP. Add 101A trim pkg to get cruise control and cloth seats from the XLT, plus power everything and some more goodies.

You don't want the long box? Sorry Charlie, but Ford requires the long box to get the HD payload pkg. 8' on a SuperCab or 6.5' on a SuperCrew.

Ford automagically adds the max tow pkg when you order the 3.73 LS axle, and charges you $565 MSRP. Fog lamps are included for $140 MSRP. Freight of $995 is required, and the total MSRP is $34,050. Probably not much rebate on a new 2014, so count on about a 10% discount at any reasonable Ford dealer, and your total is around $30,600 plus TT&L.

With the above combo, Ford throws in the XL Décor group, communications pkg, power heated telescoping tow mirrors, and integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). Part of the HD payload pkg is LT tires in load range E instead of the P-series "car" tires on lesser F-150s. Disadvantage of the HD Payload Pkg for some folks is the wheels are weird 7-lug design, so replacement custom wheels are rare.

Look for one in dealer stock? You won't find one. Darling Daughter had her dealer look all over the eastern half of the USA and nothing with the HD payload pkg was available in stock, anywhere. If youwant it, you have to order it. And the HD Payload pkg is a "gotta have" for her 7,000-pound horse trailer. She didn't want to wait 7 or 8 weeks for an order to come in, so she settled for an F-250 XL SuperCab shorty with no options except cab steps. Plastic seats, and no cruise control, and about the same price as the fancied-up F-150 with the 101A trim pkg. The F-250 has the standard 6.2L V8 gas engine and tow mirrors, so at least she has tow mirrors and a decent engine. But she was accustomed to driving a Jeep Wrangler with no options, so she was used to getting by without power door locks and cruise control and nice cloth seats. She's in love with her stripper F-250. She likes the "hose it out" interior.

So I would order a new F-150 with the 101A trim and HD Payload pkg, but you might be happier with the F-250 with the 6.2L engine and fewer amenities. And like Darling Daughter, you might even find a stripper leftover 2013 F-250 in stock, whereas there's not much chance of finding an F-150 with the HD Payload Pkg.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #44

I'd be pretty suspicious of any F150 with an Ecoboost that I could get for my $15K cash budget. And 4 wheel drive is a part of our requirement.

I've drooled over those trucks ever since I saw that video Ford made about testing that engine.

Tags
ford