Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #15

Skip the 5.5 bed and go 6.5. Get the Max Tow package. The new 2017 F150's have more payload capacity than 2015 because they went to an all aluminum body.
2017 also got a big power increase.
Max Tow requires a 3.73 rear end. JMO of course but if you can find a 2016 Max Tow with the 6.5 bed you should be fine.
Then look for a quality weight distribution hitch that has built in sway control. If you want to really step up look at a Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride WDH. They're $$$$ but are the absolute best for towing.
I would also keep the LOADED trailer weight under 7500lbs. That means looking for a TT with a dry weight around 6000lbs.
Good luck in your search.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #16

Thanks to everyone for all your replies. Let me be a little more specific on what I am thinking.

2017 F150 4x4 Super Crew with 5.5 foot bed. New 3.5 Eco Boost engine. 3.55 rear end. Pro Tailer backup Assist, 36 gallon fuel tank. Trailer Brake controller, Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist. Trailer Tow package, Folding Trailer Tow Mirrors, Trailer Sway Control, 10 speed automatic. Ford seems to think max tow is in the 10,000 range.

Trailer will be around 6,000 pounds empty. Will use weight distribution sway hitch. There will be adults and a little dog in the truck. Trailer around 30 feet long.

Some of you have spoked me a bit on the weight issue and too much trailer for this truck.

I have considered a Ram with the Hemi too. I think the F250 with 6.5 bed is too long to fit in the garage.

Thanks again.
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #17

Look at the yellow and white sticker in the door jam. It should tell you the max payload capacity of the truck. This only includes 150lb driver. Now add up the weights of passengers. Add in 80-100lbs for a good WDH. Add in a couple hundred for misc. All aftermarket equipment you add or switch to add weight that counts against payload. Then figure 15% of max trailer weight as counting against payload.

My guess is that for that trailer and occupants you will need 1700-2000lbs of payload.

I believe you can also get the Vin # of the truck and look actual tow and payload ratings online.

Don't commit to that F150 unless you absolutely know it's tow and payload ratings. It could be as low as 8k towing if not equipped properly.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #18

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Pulling a 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express SE, 30' 5200 lb TT, now weighs easily 6K plus a 300 lb motorcycle in the bed with a '14 SuperCrew FX4, 3.5, 3.55, 5.5' box, LT C range tires. The F150 does this easily. Even has some passing power easily going from 25 to 50 mph in the lenght of a tractor and chopper box wagon.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are people here who think a load of groceries is to much for a 1/2 ton. You'll be fine. Just make sure you have the max tow/payload options on it.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
There are people here who think a load of groceries is to much for a 1/2 ton. You'll be fine. Just make sure you have the max tow/payload options on it.

With all of the options on a 1/2 ton, how far away from a 3/4 ton is it in $?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
(sarcasm mode set to HIGH DISTORTION)
Hey Dave, if people wish to give up more safety margin to save a single dollar, who are we to argue with them? After all, we only share the roads at sometimes outrageous speeds, what's the harm in that?
(sarcasm mode returned to LOW)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #22

With an available payload, when properly optioned, of over 3,000lbs, there are F150 that can carry more groceries than most 250/2500.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At what cost?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #24

What ever the OP wants to pay.

Cheaper than diesel.
Better ride than a HD/SD
Better towing experience than a naturally aspirated V8.
Available 10sp and lighter weight means better fuel mileage when empty than HD/SD.

For somebody who isn't full timing and is only towing 7500-8000lb this would be a decent choice. It's not like he is wanting to tow a 36' 5th wheel.

Weight police cracking down on a combo well within capabilities. How about all the SRW diesel 2500 guys dragging 44' toy haulers across country at 70-75. Oh, they are over GVWR and GCWR but "axle weights are the only ratings that matter."

A plain 2016 f150 EB with 3.55 gears has close to 2k payload and over 10k towing. Closing in on F250 ratings with better performing gas engine.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
...2017 F150 4x4 Super Crew with 5.5 foot bed. New 3.5 Eco Boost engine. 3.55 rear end. .... Ford seems to think max tow is in the 10,000 range.
Yes, the tow rating is misleading. It can PULL a 10k trailer, but it probably cannot CARRY the hitch weight of a 10k trailer without exceeding the payload capacity of that F-150.

Tow rating is GCWR minus empty truck weight. It ignores payload capacity, which is the limiter for the weight of any trailer you can tow without being overloaded. Payload capacity is GVWR minus the weight of the truck.

The CAT scale is the ultimate weight police. If the weight on the two axles of the tow vehicle exceeds the GVWR of the tow vehicle, you're overloaded. No excuses. Just because the tires or other components of the truck are not overloaded doesn't mean the truck is not overloaded. If you exceed the GVWR of the truck, it's overloaded.

With the new F-150 you listed, wet and loaded with normal weight of people and cargo, dragging a wet and loaded travel trailer ready for camping, any TT that weighs more than about 6,500 pounds is probably going to overload the tow vehicle. Ask any CAT scale. If you keep the gross weight of the trailer down below 6,000 pounds, then you can probably tow that trailer without being overloaded. That requires constant consideration of any weight you haul in the truck or trailer. And towing on the edge of the weight limits is no fun.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #26

Where are we getting the 10,000lb TT weights from? The OP is looking at a 6000-7000lb TT. I would like to see the TT that you can put 3000-4000lbs in. And what the heck are you going to put in it that weighs that much.
Most TT's are packed pretty good at 1000lbs. There just isn't that much storage capacity in the average TT.
A 7500lb TT would have a normal tongue weight of 950lbs or so. OP says it's two adults and a dog in the truck. 2017 F150s will have payloads in the 1500-2000lb range. I had a2010 F150 XLT Max Tow that had 1857lbs of payload. The new 2017s are lighter and have more payload.
As long as he doesn't load the crud out of the truck he will be fine.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #27

Trailer is 6040 pounds dry. Hitch weight 685. Seems to be within reason to me. What do you think?
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dry weights lie about the "rubber meets the camping trip" experience. You aren't gonna pull it to go on a trip completely empty, are you? Clothes, food, fishing gear? Maybe a generator and the gas it will need, and who knows what else. One hundred pounds of batteries, the WD hitch, all of these things do indeed add up.

What trailer(s) are you looking at? What is the GVWR, or the empty weight rating and it's cargo carrying capacity?

Example: You buy a trailer with an advertised dry weight of 6040, but we'll round up to 6100 for easy math. The GVWR of the trailer is 7000. If you have a large fresh water tank, like say 50 gallons, and water weighs alone weighs 8.36 pounds, then if you have to carry a full fresh water tank, you already added 418 pounds. That leaves less than 600 pounds for the rest of your stuff. If you have one hundred pound of batteries, that leaves less than 500 pounds for the rest of your stuff. See how quickly the weights add up, and your capacity gets eaten? Add a hundred pounds of groceries, less than 400 pounds left. a couple cases of beer, less than 300 pounds left, and you are getting very close to the maximum weight the trailer can carry.

Now, let's say you distribute the load in the trailer poorly, and much of the extra stuff that has been added is near the front. In my trailer, the fresh water tank is in the front of the trailer under the bed, so much of that weight, maybe half, goes on the tongue. The tongue weight you posted starts at 685. Now add one hundred pounds of batteries that almost always mount right on the tongue and you're at 785. Add half of the water if your fresh water is near the front, and you are at 985. add anything else, say 200 pounds of miscellaneous stuff near the front, and you are somewhere over 1,000 pounds just on the tongue.

hHis stuff can add up really fast, and before you know it, even with a good WD hitch, your rear end is sagging and you aren't enjoying your drive to your camping trip. Hitch weights can be, at a maximum, 15% of the trailer GVWR. For a trailer with a GVWR of 7,000 pounds, that's a maximum of 1,050.

And we haven't even started talking about what is in the truck being taken on your camping trip.

Don't believe the salespeople. The weights advertised for things empty are practically bare bones empty. You won't know what the trailer really weighs until you see the one you are buying and can read the weight sticker on it.

Buy the trailer, get the hitch dialed in, and go to the truck stop scale. Will you be in a safe weight range for your vehicles? That is the only way to really know, weigh it. Some call people like me "the weight police". I'll wear that name if it means that me and mine are just fine going down the road as safely as I can do it.

A really good item for your trailer is TPMS. It could help save a camping trip from a disaster while under way.

Good luck, and plan to have fun.

Tags
ford