Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #43

3.55 geared EB rated to tow over 10k.

I think OP is gone, but if he puts pen to paper and tallies up numbers that F150 will do what he is asking.

Now if he wants to upgrade to bigger down the road, it ain't the right truck.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #44

After looking at this more, I think the f150 is too small for a 5th wheel.

Thanks for all the comments

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
After looking at this more, I think the f150 is too small for a 5th wheel.

Thanks for all the comments

Steve
So you went from buying a 6-7k trailer to a 5th wheel?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
So you went from buying a 6-7k trailer to a 5th wheel?
Man i love this country!!!!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #47

No I did not go to a 5th wheel. I was just interested in whether people pull them with a 150. I assume that is ok?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
No I did not go to a 5th wheel. I was just interested in whether people pull them with a 150. I assume that is ok?
You must be thinking of your other post about towing 5th with F150.

Plenty of people do. Just have to watch weights carefully! Or get the Heavy Duty Payload Package and Max Tow to tow.

On a 5er they carry 15-25% total weight on pin. You would use up payload of a normal 150/1500 very fast.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm

IMO, Iwouldn't want to be towing 10k or more with half ton, especially one as light as the new F150, but a modest 5er under 30' would pull nice and be more stable than bumper pull.

That said, a 250/2500 would be even more rock solid. But no ecoboost going that rte. The 6.2 is solid but empty mileage not great and needs to rev to make power. 6.7 won't slow down towing 10k up IKE. Lol.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
There are many folks happy with their 1/2 ton.
Many of those folks up-truck sooner than later. And some that did not outfit the 1/2 ton well are stuck with either losing via depreciation or suffering until they can afford more.
I have friends that have gone the gambit on this. Most upgraded RVs, and the up-truck was mandatory.
I wish the best of luck to all.
I just up-trucked my 2016 2.7L for another 2016 3.5L with Max Trailer Tow Package. I didn't get hurt "that much" on depreciation. Only about $3,000 plus cost of upgrades. In addition to the Max Trailer Tow Package the new truck has 3.5L vs 2.7L, 20" LTX Tires vs 18" tires and Navigation.

With $6,250 in Ford incentives and $6000 dealer Discount it wasn't too bad.

Hopefully it is enough truck to comfortably and safely pull a Grand Design 2800BH with a UVW 5685 lbs Hitch Weight of 575 lbs and GVWR 7495 lbs

IF NOT PLEASE CHIME IN BEFORE I MAKE THE TT DEAL…
Truck specs;
4.538 lb weight
6,800 lb GVWR
1,964 lb Max Combined Weight Occupants and Cargo
3.55 E-Lock rear

According to Fords Towing Guide, as configured;
1,220 Max Tongue Load
11.800 Max Loaded Trailer Weight
17,000 lb GCWR max combined weight.
Flyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyct View Post
I just up-trucked my 2016 2.7L for another 2016 3.5L with Max Trailer Tow Package. ...Hopefully it is enough truck to comfortably and safely pull a Grand Design 2800BH with a UVW 5685 lbs Hitch Weight of 575 lbs and GVWR 7495 lbs

IF NOT PLEASE CHIME IN BEFORE I MAKE THE TT DEAL…
That truck has more than enough power to drag that trailer over the mountains without a sweat. But you'll be on the edge of being overloaded over the payload capacity of your truck if you aren't really careful about the weight you haul in the truck.

Quote:
Truck specs;
1,964 lb Max Combined Weight Occupants and Cargo
That's a nice payload capacity. But tongue weight of a 7,500 pound TT will average 975 pounds. Add another 113 pounds for a good weight-distributing hitch and your total hitch weight could be up to 1,088 pounds. 1964 minus 1088 hitch weight = 876 pounds max weight of everybody and everything else that can be in the truck when towing. Tools, jacks, jackstands, bed rug, tonneau cover or camper shell, campfire wood, toys, pets, everything. So do your own math and decide if you want to be that close to the max payload capacity of your lovely new pickup.

Quote:
..According to Fords Towing Guide, as configured;
1,220 Max Tongue Load
That's the hitch rating, not the payload capacity available for hitch weight.

Quote:
11.800 Max Loaded Trailer Weight
That's the tow rating, which indicates the weight of a trailer you can pull with an empty truck without overheating anything in the drivetrain. But it ignores the payload capacity available for hitch weight, which is your limiter as to how much trailer you can tow without being overloaded.

Quote:
17,000 lb GCWR max combined weight.
GCWR minus the weight of the truck = tow rating. But again, tow rating is not your limiter. GVWR (and payload capacity) is your limiter.

If you move fast, you an determine if that trailer will overload your F-150 before you commit to buying the trailer.

Load the F-150 with everything and everybody that will be in when towing. include toolbox full of tools, jacks and jackstands, campfire wood?, pets? toys? camper shell? Then drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Weigh the wet and loaded F-150. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck. The answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight. If the answer is not at least 1,088 pounds of payload capacity available for hitch weight, then I would not buy that trailer to tow with that truck.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Agree. But it's easier said than done. On a new F-150 when you build an F-150 SuperCrew with 3.5L EcoBoost engine and 6.5' bed, then select 3.73 axle on Ford.com build&price, you see the following blurb:
"Adding:
3.73 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio also requires the following changes
Add
Heavy-Duty Payload Package
Max Trailer Tow Package
Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist
$3,040 Net Price Change
Do you want to continue?
No Yes
"

Same website, if you try to order the shorty bed, you won't see an option for a 3.73 axle ratio. I suppose that's because 3.73 includes HDPP, and HDPP is not available with the shorty bed.

So the key is not the axle ratio but the fact that with that axle ratio you'll also get heavy duty payload package (HDPP). So then you'll have "enuff truck" with enough payload capacity to tow that trailer without being overloaded.

But dealers don't stock F-150s with HDPP, so you have to order it and wait 6 to 8 weeks order and ship time for Ford to build and deliver it. If you want a new truck RIGHT NOW!, then you have to compromise- either order it and wait, or buy an F-250 or F-350 SRW RIGHT NOW out of dealer's inventory. Or make a bad decision to buy an F-150 without HDPP.

Decisions, decisions.
Great analysis... You're basically saying that there's more to this than just the axle ratio. You need the other stuff too... including the longer bed, which obviously means the longer wheelbase. While you're at it, make sure you get that larger fuel capacity too. Its nice to have. I got all that stuff and yank around a 6-7K lb trailer without breaking a sweat.

There's reasons for wanting an F150 over a F250 or F350. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves. MY F150 is probably right at the absolute limit of what would work for me as a daily driver (95% of the time). The F250, for me, is over that limit and I'd need to buy a commuter car to get to and from work. So there's that...

If you are dropping the kinda of coin required for these new trucks, I recommend suppressing the "right now" urge and exercise patience. These trucks are stupidly expensive and its best to get them properly equipped.
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #52

I have a 2015 f150 xlt with tow package. 5000 lb dry trailer. Have towed it through British Coumbia Mtn passes going 65. And it rarely had to downshift. Towed the trailer like a dream.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #53

Too bad you didn't opt for an optional higher numerical differential, if it was available. It would raise your towing capability and also lower the stress on your trucks engine and transmission. It would also, according to Ford engineers, improve your towing mileage because your revs would be lower and your under hood temperatures would also be lower because you engine and transmission would not be working as hard. Physics is physics.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
You're basically saying that there's more to this than just the axle ratio. You need the other stuff too... including the longer bed, which obviously means the longer wheelbase.
I don't think you need the longer bed for towing. Lots of folks tow lighter-weight TTs with a shorty bed with no problems. You need the longer bed because Ford doesn't build F-150s with HDPP and a shorty bed. And you need HDPP if you don't want to be overloaded when towing a 7,500-pound TT.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Too bad you didn't opt for an optional higher numerical differential, if it was available. It would raise your towing capability and also lower the stress on your trucks engine and transmission.
The highest differential available for our 2016 2WD 3.5 EB was the 3.55. This combination gives 11,800 lbs towing capability with 143" Wb or 11,900 lbs with 157" Wb.

There is a 3.73 differential included with Heavy Duty Payload Package on the 157" Wb. That max towing capacity is 11,700 on the 2WD or 11,400 on the 4WD.

I think what the advantage that the HDPP gives you is a higher GVWR and higher combined weight of occupants and cargo. But once again it's only available on the Long WB which would not fit in our garage so we went with Crew Cab with short bed 143" and Max Trailer Tow Package. It has a Payload Capacity of 1964 lbs. with approx 1,000 lb tongue Weight that leaves 964 lbs for wife, dog and cargo in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	142950  
Flyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 AM   #56

Thanks again to everyone for your comments. I feel like I am in a data overload.

I am still looking at the 2017 with the big 3.5 and the ten speed and the 5.5 bed. I plan to order it. I am looking at Jayco trailers. Like the White Hawk and Jay Flight trailers. Will try to get as small as possible with a floor plan we are happy with. Dealer is recommending a Reese weight distribution anti-sway hitch. Not sure of the model. Anyone use Reese?

I have been watching videos on utube. The new 150 seems to be a beast when pulling. I wonder if a new 150 would out perform an older 250? I bet it would.

Again thanks for the comments.

Tags
ford