Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #15

If you could post the bulletin number, that would be helpful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
If you could post the bulletin number, that would be helpful.
For sure as what you are describingsounds like a shotgun approach and hope. I didn't see a TSB the last time I took a wander through applicables for my '11 tho may have missed it since mine has been fixed with shocks, steering stabilizer on the '06 and sway bar links.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
For sure as what you are describingsounds like a shotgun approach and hope. I didn't see a TSB the last time I took a wander through applicables for my '11 tho may have missed it since mine has been fixed with shocks, steering stabilizer on the '06 and sway bar links.
Right!
The good thing is a factory tech bulletin has the fault or complaint of a fault and then a remedy. So at least we can see what Ford perceives as the problem.
We all know the manufactures have to be beat with a board to admit a problem.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:08 AM   #18
IC2

Did some homework. This problem dates way back but the TSBs are only relevant to the 2017-2019 F250/350 4x4s. It ends up that the steering stabilizer is not doing the job and is to be replaced. There are a bunch of parts but mainly the stabilizer.

The TSBs are 18-2268 and superceded by 19-2274. I tried to copy and paste but for whatever reason, wouldn't 'take'
Old 12-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
A stabilizer is just a bandaid for whatever the actual problem is. Ford does use a stabilizer but that wont fix a death wobble issue. It may cover it up temporarily but it wont fix the actual issue.
I guess Ford said that the stabilizer on the truck was not up to the task and is being replaced, if you read the last post by IC2! He also stated other parts were being changed but it is mainly the stabilizer!

Gee what did I say in my post, it could be the stabilizer!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I guess Ford said that the stabilizer on the truck was not up to the task and is being replaced, if you read the last post by IC2! He also stated other parts were being changed but it is mainly the stabilizer!

The problem isnt the stabilizer.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrang...th-wobble.html

Theres a nice little article that also has some pictures to make it entertaining to read.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Did some homework. This problem dates way back but the TSBs are only relevant to the 2017-2019 F250/350 4x4s. It ends up that the steering stabilizer is not doing the job and is to be replaced. There are a bunch of parts but mainly the stabilizer.

The TSBs are 18-2268 and superceded by 19-2274. I tried to copy and paste but for whatever reason, wouldn't 'take'
Yes, this is for installing a new steering stabilizer (damper) and the rest of the bunch of parts are adjusters, cotter pins etc. so they can modify the alignment adjustment specs. They want the alignment tech to reduce caster to a minimum while just barely being in spec.

Of course, ANY play on these front ends will eventually cause the issue, loose parts need replacing 1st.

Ford front ends still suck! What model year was this again and how many miles/km?
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Yes, this is for installing a new steering stabilizer (damper) and the rest of the bunch of parts are adjusters, cotter pins etc. so they can modify the alignment adjustment specs. They want the alignment tech to reduce caster to a minimum while just barely being in spec.

Of course, ANY play on these front ends will eventually cause the issue, loose parts need replacing 1st.

Ford front ends still suck! What model year was this again and how many miles/km?

I believe that "Death Wobble" can happen to any straight axle vehicle. I didn't have any issue with our 89 F250 4X4, or 2001 Ram 2500 4X4. We now have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 and no issues yet. The only vehicle I had death wobble on was a 1964 Ford Econoline van 4X2 with a straight front axle. Had the King Pins replaced and all was well.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #23

Quote:

Having jeeps and broncos for over 30 years both of which are famous for constant death wobble. I can tell you one thing that is absolutely true.

A steering stabilizer can not cause death wobble nor can it fix death wobble.

If you only put on a stabilizer and the DW goes away all you did was mask the problem. It will come back until you fix the problem. Either the track bar joint, ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings or a combination of things will cause it . To get death wobble you have a problem in the front suspension and a shock absorber in the steering is not going cause it, or fix it
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Having jeeps and broncos for over 30 years both of which are famous for constant death wobble. I can tell you one thing that is absolutely true.

A steering stabilizer can not cause death wobble nor can it fix death wobble.

If you only put on a stabilizer and the DW goes away all you did was mask the problem. It will come back until you fix the problem. Either the track bar joint, ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings or a combination of things will cause it . To get death wobble you have a problem in the front suspension and a shock absorber in the steering is not going cause it, or fix it
I never said it did!

Will I had a 1973 Jeep Cherokee, a 1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief, my older son had a 1979 Ford Bronco, my younger son had a 1985 Jeep along with several straight axle pick-up trucks. That the family has owned over the years, we have 5 trucks now. The Jeeps and the Ford Bronco would eat the steering stabilizer within a year or two. I always had the front-end suspension checked by a very small Jeep dealership, that specialized in Jeeps and 4X4 vehicles, before replacing the stabilizer. They would just wear out.

This dealership was the sponsor for a local off-road trail ride club in the area. The only new vehicle they would sell was the Jeep, the dealership was closed when AMC was bought by Chrysler.

The first thing I do now when I purchase a truck is remove the steering stabilizer and install a FOX aftermarket steering stabilizer. Never had to replace a Fox unit. Remember the vehicle manufacture will use the cheapest manufactured component that meets their manufacturing spec's when building a vehicle.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #25

Quote:

Ya, actually you did say it could be the stabilizer. Right there.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I believe that "Death Wobble" can happen to any straight axle vehicle. I didn't have any issue with our 89 F250 4X4, or 2001 Ram 2500 4X4. We now have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 and no issues yet. The only vehicle I had death wobble on was a 1964 Ford Econoline van 4X2 with a straight front axle. Had the King Pins replaced and all was well.
I'm pretty sure you're correct. Only time I have experienced the wobble myself was many years ago in a Jeep with oversized tires. It was scary as hell.

My 1st V15 Suburban had a solid axle if I remember correctly and I never felt anything wobble nor feel unsafe in the front end, even if it was old, had crumbling bushings and had lots of miles.

Ford and Jeep are reknowned for this issue for the most part. I really love the independant front suspension on my GMC. It's a more relaxed, smoother ride IMO.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #27
IC2

Folks - the purported death wobble in a Ford is NOT due to a solid front axle - Since 2005 or 6 they have had IFS.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Folks - the purported death wobble in a Ford is NOT due to a solid front axle - Since 2005 or 6 they have had IFS.
The 2wd trucks have ifs but the 4x4 trucks have a solid front axle in the stupid dutys. The 150s all have ifs since they came out with the ttb in 1981

Tags
ford