RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

Ford F550 TPMS

Does anyone know if the Ford F550 has TPMS?

FWIW, I'm quite sure the Ford Super Duty pickups have TPMS, but have found nothing about the chassis cab F550. I'm also quite sure that the competing Ram 5500 has TPMS. I have asked a couple of Ford "salesmen", but I've gotten mixed responses reinforcing my already low confidence level in those folks.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #2

$100 on Amazon can solve the problem if they arenít standard on the chassis cabs.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

Thanks for that suggestion. However, I already have a TST TPMS and will use it if absolutely necessary. I'm simply trying to avoid cockpit clutter, which looks possible with some tow vehicles. I'm hoping, and trying to verify, that the F550 might be one pf those vehicles.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #4

Here is the federal ruling on TPMS this should answer your question.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...Sfinalrule.pdf

In my opinion does a Ford F550 have TPMS, NO!
Old 11-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #5

WOW! 172 pages! Have you read it?

I agree IT SHOULD answer my question, but so far, I honestly can't say for sure.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #6

Doesn't Ford have a website where you can build your truck? If so, build one and see if the option is there.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgettinby View Post
WOW! 172 pages! Have you read it?

I agree IT SHOULD answer my question, but so far, I honestly can't say for sure.
The firs page state that the GVW rating is 10,000 or under is required to have TPMS installed. So, if your F550 has a GVW over 10,000 LBS than it is not required by law.

Now I do not know if the F550 offers a system like the Ram has in the 3500,4500 or 5500 trucks. The Ram offers what is called a Tire Pressure Information System. The dash display will show what each tire pressure is for the owner to notice, by toggling thru the dash display. I believe there is no waring light or an alarm if the tire pressure goes to zero.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #8

I have used the Ford online build process multiple times, but found no specific TPMS option, although a TPMS could be included in one of their optional "packages". A TPMS could also simply be standard equipment. I haven't seen TPMS on lists I've found, although lists I've found appear to focus on "key" standard equipment instead of serving as a "comprehensive" list of all standard equipment.

I did find a Ford support page designed to help in understanding their chassis cab Sync system. One of those Sync system pages defined all dash icons, where one icon was shown and defined as a warning light for low tire pressure. That leads me to believe there is some kind of TPMS, even if it lacks alarms.

As far as the NHTSA rule is concerned, the first page does indeed state the the rule applies to vehicles with less than a 10,000 lb GVWR, which would leave out a 550 CC. However, the same applicability sentence CLEARLY indicates there is also some kind of exception for vehicles with dual wheels on an axle. That's exactly where the confusion starts. The dual wheel exception, which certainly includes a 550 CC, is discussed somewhere in the 172 pages of the rule. All you have to do is find that discussion and decipher it. One other critical point, regardless of rule applicability: what is required by law, may or may not be what is supplied by Ford. I tend to think Ford might throw in a TPMS to more favorably compete with Ram rather than take the position that a TPMS may not be legally required.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgettinby View Post
I have used the Ford online build process multiple times, but found no specific TPMS option, although a TPMS could be included in one of their optional "packages". A TPMS could also simply be standard equipment. I haven't seen TPMS on lists I've found, although lists I've found appear to focus on "key" standard equipment instead of serving as a "comprehensive" list of all standard equipment.

I did find a Ford support page designed to help in understanding their chassis cab Sync system. One of those Sync system pages defined all dash icons, where one icon was shown and defined as a warning light for low tire pressure. That leads me to believe there is some kind of TPMS, even if it lacks alarms.

As far as the NHTSA rule is concerned, the first page does indeed state the the rule applies to vehicles with less than a 10,000 lb GVWR, which would leave out a 550 CC. However, the same applicability sentence CLEARLY indicates there is also some kind of exception for vehicles with dual wheels on an axle. That's exactly where the confusion starts. The dual wheel exception, which certainly includes a 550 CC, is discussed somewhere in the 172 pages of the rule. All you have to do is find that discussion and decipher it. One other critical point, regardless of rule applicability: what is required by law, may or may not be what is supplied by Ford. I tend to think Ford might throw in a TPMS to more favorably compete with Ram rather than take the position that a TPMS may not be legally required.
I take it you WANT TPMS on a truck you wish to order? AFAIK no vehicles with a GVWR over 10 000lbs are required to have them, just as you stated. My 13k GVWR truck dually doesn't have them. I read through the (generic) Super Duty manual. Some duallies have them, not sure if that's just the F350 or 450 and 550 have them also. I would guess they are available as part of an option package. I am certain Ford customer service or any knowledgeable truck dealer would have the answer.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #10

Ford probably assumes anyone with a 550 CC will do a pre trip inspection which includes tire pressure checks
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Ford probably assumes anyone with a 550 CC will do a pre trip inspection which includes tire pressure checks

Thanks so much for your thoughtful insight.

This will be my first 550 CC, and I had no idea that a 550 CC marks the threshold for conducting pre-trip inspections. I shudder to think how much time I've wasted over the years checking my other trucks (cars and trailers!!!) before hitting the road. What a waste! I also had absolutely no idea how completely worthless a TPMS actually is, once a pre-trip inspection has been completed! Afterall, who in the world has EVER heard of ANY tire issue developing while underway??? Why would anyone want or need such a worthless instrument?

So, thanks again for your insight. This is exactly why so many folks, myself included, participate in forums just like this.

There is one remaining issue that you might explain. That is, when will logic you attribute to Ford be extended to further improve their vehicles? Case in point: Pre-trip inspection would certainly include coolant system checks (after tire thumping is complete of course). So, when will Ford delete the completely worthless coolant temperature gauge in the 550 CC? Afterall, if the pre-trip inspection doesn't reveal an issue with the coolant system, the gauge is unimportant, right??? With just a little more thought, I'm pretty sure your insights could be used to identify many more instruments that are rendered worthless by a pre-trip inspection. I'll bet Ford would be delighted if you could help them more rapidly progress with vehicle development!!!
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #12

I use this solar powered wireless TPMS for my trailer. No wire inside the cab, I think this could be a good alternative for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4E58D0C-C964-4E7D-B1C2-5ABA65703BFD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	309143   Click image for larger version

Name:	245FA311-07EF-4C93-A1D5-3C609226395A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	309144  

nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:20 PM   #13

Thanks, nicky. I did not know there were wireless solutions.

Tags
ford, tpms