Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2022, 06:07 AM   #15

Is 150 miles 75 miles one way and back? Look at a litium mine before you say it is a green vehicle. Anyway right now I worry about keeping my phone charged. And yes, an EV might make sense in the right situation. Like around town as a grocery getter they are great.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Tesla superchargers are membership only and the only way to become a member is to buy a Tesla. Tesla has tried over the years to get other vehicle manufacturers to contribute to the building of the network but none stepped up.

So no, only Teslas can charge at Tesla Superchargers in North America. It is different in Europe where they use a common plug. Tesla has opened up a limited amount of Superchargers in some regions to other vehicles.

Teslas on the other hand can charge anywhere on any network by using an adaptor. We have one. Works well.

Tesla has always said that anyone could freely use their charging technology. The only catch was to do so you had to sign an agreement that you would never sue Tesla , and never defend yourself against any Tesla lawsuit ever again, or you would lose the ability to use the charging technology. Can't imagine why no one took them up on it.

Tesla's proprietary stations won't qualify for federal money which only goes to stations that use the more common standards. Tesla said it would convert to the common standard in order to qualify for the subsidies and has already started to talk about installing standard plugs at its existing stations. They really drove the market there for awhile, but their attempt to own charging went kerplunk and their network isn't the largest or the most reliable any more.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Is 150 miles 75 miles one way and back? Look at a litium mine before you say it is a green vehicle. Anyway right now I worry about keeping my phone charged. And yes, an EV might make sense in the right situation. Like around town as a grocery getter they are great.
I don’t get the 75 miles one way and back thing. Go any direction you want. We toured thru six provinces and 5000 ish kilometres in the last 4 weeks. Charge when required.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Tesla has always said that anyone could freely use their charging technology. The only catch was to do so you had to sign an agreement that you would never sue Tesla , and never defend yourself against any Tesla lawsuit ever again, or you would lose the ability to use the charging technology. Can't imagine why no one took them up on it.

Tesla's proprietary stations won't qualify for federal money which only goes to stations that use the more common standards. Tesla said it would convert to the common standard in order to qualify for the subsidies and has already started to talk about installing standard plugs at its existing stations. They really drove the market there for awhile, but their attempt to own charging went kerplunk and their network isn't the largest or the most reliable any more.
Oh it’s definitely the most reliable and easiest to use and other than a handful of Electrify America stations it definitely has the fastest charging speeds. But it’s nice to see the public networks gain some ground. BC hydro, FLO and ChargePoint are our preferred non Tesla charge stations and since we have been touring they Quebec we have had good luck with Circuite Électrique. Generally speaking we find quebecs charging infrastructure on par with BC. Washington state, Oregon and California are also very good.

The prairie provinces and Ontario are lacking although Alberta is definitely improving.

Just my 2 cents. Not an expert.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #19

Quote:
I don’t get the 75 miles one way and back thing. Go any direction you want. We toured thru six provinces and 5000 ish kilometres in the last 4 weeks. Charge when required.
what make/model camper/trailer are you towing behind make model ev?

what he was illuding too is that with a camper behind the livhtening, cloes to capacity, in wind, pulling hills or real world towing for quite a few ( myself included), he believes the range will be closer to 75 miles. 75*2......ya now the youtubers that have been reviewing these trucks have specifically avoided towing full profile camper during there reviews. no idea why but all are either ew and ahw 0-60 for those that have never knojnwn real tq. those that tow cargo trailer or a flat bed with a pick up or suv. so the weight of a flat hbed and large suv does add up but does not have the wind drag that a full profile camper has. wind drag requires more power then dead weight. when i say that i am not referencing dead stop take off's......maintaining or pulling a hill. catch some wind on a hilly area and the wind drag can require and additional 100 hp. i know this for a fact from personal experience.

that all pretty much goes w/o saying but that plus the rest, is why i was wondering about the small sized camper like tear drops to 18' campers. those have 78" to 84" side walls in many cases and far less ground clearence. far less wind drag which should increase range in the EV's.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
what make/model camper/trailer are you towing behind make model ev?

what he was illuding too is that with a camper behind the livhtening, cloes to capacity, in wind, pulling hills or real world towing for quite a few ( myself included), he believes the range will be closer to 75 miles. 75*2......ya now the youtubers that have been reviewing these trucks have specifically avoided towing full profile camper during there reviews. no idea why but all are either ew and ahw 0-60 for those that have never knojnwn real tq. those that tow cargo trailer or a flat bed with a pick up or suv. so the weight of a flat hbed and large suv does add up but does not have the wind drag that a full profile camper has. wind drag requires more power then dead weight. when i say that i am not referencing dead stop take off's......maintaining or pulling a hill. catch some wind on a hilly area and the wind drag can require and additional 100 hp. i know this for a fact from personal experience.

that all pretty much goes w/o saying but that plus the rest, is why i was wondering about the small sized camper like tear drops to 18' campers. those have 78" to 84" side walls in many cases and far less ground clearence. far less wind drag which should increase range in the EV's.
I can’t speak to full size trailers behind pickups. But teardrops of say 7.5 feet wide and 8.5 feet high are being pulled by EV SUV’s with success on camping trips all over. But SUV’s have smaller batteries than pickups so have to recharge often. For us with our model Y and T@B400 we plan around a max
range of 200 kilometres although it’s probably better than that. (Never had to put it to the test).

Where we are superchargers tend to be spread about an hour and a half to two hours a part. On our cross country 6 province trip if we do a long day we literally stop every hour and a half to two hours to charge for about 20 minutes or so. Fine for us as we are older and we need a stretch and a coffee by then. We have about 7000 kilometres behind us on this trip. About 4500 to go.

But I wouldn’t want to be in a hurry like I was in my younger days. If you want to cover a thousand kilometres a day or more do it with a diesel. We have about 9 weeks for the trip. Some days we don’t travel at all, do eddy’s we travel a 100 kilometres and the odd day here and there we go between 500 and 600 kilometres. Fairly relaxed pace. Lots to see.

Anyway. I would think these electric half tons would do better towing a teardrop like ours than our electric SUV. But really, no idea.

Cheers and safe travels. Here’s a pic of our combo.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #21

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/11049...les-automakers

The first retail buyer took delivery of the Lightning BEV. He tows an Airstream of unmentioned size. His only complaint so far was the lack of charging stations at the campground he stayed at.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post

The first retail buyer took delivery of the Lightning BEV. He tows an Airstream of unmentioned size. His only complaint so far was the lack of charging stations at the campground he stayed at.
He also drives a tesla and that’s the problem. He is used to the tesla infrastructure and the public infrastructure that serves the non tesla EV’s is spotty, clunky, unreliable and many times slow. We are 7000 ish kilometres into an 11500 kilometre road trip in our tesla pulling a little teardrop travel trailer and charging has been zero of an issue. We occasionally use public chargers if we want a slow relaxed lunch or maybe shopping break but otherwise probably 75 percent of our charging has been at Superchargers and maybe 20 percent at campgrounds. And we have only stayed at 30 amp sites so far. (50 amp is not that common up here). The other 5 percent was at public stations, the kind he’ll have to use with the lightning.

Infrastructure is getting better and I think there will be big strides made in 2023 and 2024.

Jmho.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:38 PM   #23

Here is a picture from Google. I typed litium mine pictures. Not sure how much litium will be needed to make millions of EV vehicles. I guess we can create more mines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220620-163653.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	368839
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Here is a picture from Google. I typed litium mine pictures. Not sure how much litium will be needed to make millions of EV vehicles. I guess we can create more mines.

Attachment 368839
That’s a copper mine located in northern Chile. It’s called Escondida. It’s been used 100s of thousands of times by anti EV groups since 2011. Good story though.

https://www.aap.com.au/factcheck/lit...ceptive-photo/
Old 06-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #25

Quote:
I can’t speak to full size trailers behind pickups. But teardrops of say 7.5 feet wide and 8.5 feet high are being pulled by EV SUV’s with success on camping trips all over. But SUV’s have smaller batteries than pickups so have to recharge often. For us with our model Y and T@B400 we plan around a max
range of 200 kilometres although it’s probably better than that. (Never had to put it to the test).

Where we are superchargers tend to be spread about an hour and a half to two hours a part. On our cross country 6 province trip if we do a long day we literally stop every hour and a half to two hours to charge for about 20 minutes or so. Fine for us as we are older and we need a stretch and a coffee by then. We have about 7000 kilometres behind us on this trip. About 4500 to go.

But I wouldn’t want to be in a hurry like I was in my younger days. If you want to cover a thousand kilometres a day or more do it with a diesel. We have about 9 weeks for the trip. Some days we don’t travel at all, do eddy’s we travel a 100 kilometres and the odd day here and there we go between 500 and 600 kilometres. Fairly relaxed pace. Lots to see.

Anyway. I would think these electric half tons would do better towing a teardrop like ours than our electric SUV. But really, no idea.

Cheers and safe travels. Here’s a pic of our combo.

thank you for the great info. nice looking set up btw. i like the theory behind a tear drop trailer but i "want" a dry bath. if a wet bath was ok i would've bought a slide in truck camper. you do pretty good on range at your pace and thats great. i'm sure that works well for others as well. i am a little more inclined to hop in and knock 4hrs out at 70 to 75 mph. having said that, i do find myself stopping every 200 miles to top off and stretch. depends on weather/ time of day to be honest. i saw that air stream has designed and prototyped an ev camper. what i read said it can run behind the tow vehichle to help extend an ev's range as well as other things. not sure what kind of special hitch that will require but an interesting thought.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:51 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
He also drives a tesla and that’s the problem. He is used to the tesla infrastructure and the public infrastructure that serves the non tesla EV’s is spotty, clunky, unreliable and many times slow. We are 7000 ish kilometres into an 11500 kilometre road trip in our tesla pulling a little teardrop travel trailer and charging has been zero of an issue. We occasionally use public chargers if we want a slow relaxed lunch or maybe shopping break but otherwise probably 75 percent of our charging has been at Superchargers and maybe 20 percent at campgrounds. And we have only stayed at 30 amp sites so far. (50 amp is not that common up here). The other 5 percent was at public stations, the kind he’ll have to use with the lightning.

Infrastructure is getting better and I think there will be big strides made in 2023 and 2024.

Jmho.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha - we use the public, non-Tesla stations and they are anything but clunky and slow. The Tesla “super” charger isn’t as fast as the public high speed chargers, topping out at only 150kW. Electrify America is up to 350kW. The Tesla cant even charge at that speed. They may be slow for Teslas, but not for the rest of us. Tesla has had a 70% reliability rating this year at their charging stations. That’s significantly less than public networks like Electrify America. Maybe the ones you use are different, but overall Tesla has already lost the availability and reliability leads it once enjoyed when it was the only game in town. I’ve seen the lines of Teslas at their charging locations waiting for the few chargers that are working. I guess they don’t get lunch until they start? Seems like they have plenty of time while they wait.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post

unmentioned intentionally, as well as pics of the 2 combined. i say intentionally as normal advertisments would be pissing themselves to get pics and/or video of the truck handling a camper. wonder whats going on with the set up. or its a single axle airstream like the base camp or bambi in wich case it's back down to the tear drop to 18' smaller sized campers. would be interesting to know.

i am not knocking the ford lightening or ev's. i want to make that very clear but i am someone that want real infor from all angles.

its not often but on our last adventure we wound up on questionable roads on our return trip. what shouldnve been 7 hrs wound up taking 9.5 hrs as we ran into 35 mph gusting wind with lots and lots of hills and 4- 6% grades. that took an additional 10 psi of boost so apprx 100hp over normal and dropped mpg's a bit. prob 2hrs before we reached the first town.....not a city a town. this was southern central South dakota. wound up at snake creek camp ground entrence as we came down the last 6% grade lol..... down hill run heading for the river lol
Old 06-20-2022, 03:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahaha - we use the public, non-Tesla stations and they are anything but clunky and slow. The Tesla “super” charger isn’t as fast as the public high speed chargers, topping out at only 150kW. Electrify America is up to 350kW. The Tesla cant even charge at that speed. They may be slow for Teslas, but not for the rest of us. Tesla has had a 70% reliability rating this year at their charging stations. That’s significantly less than public networks like Electrify America. Maybe the ones you use are different, but overall Tesla has already lost the availability and reliability leads it once enjoyed when it was the only game in town. I’ve seen the lines of Teslas at their charging locations waiting for the few chargers that are working. I guess they don’t get lunch until they start? Seems like they have plenty of time while they wait.
We occasionally see V2 150 kw Superchargers but it’s rare. Mostly 250 kw units. Not sure what’s up with your Tesla. Ours pins at 250 kw if we are below 40 percent on the battery. I don’t know anybodies who doesn’t. Is it an older model S maybe?

350 KW stations public station are rare here. Usually if there are 4 Electrify America or Canada stations at a site only one is 350. And Porsche is the only car company that charges over 300 right now.

We have never been to a Tesla charge station that didn’t work on first try.

To each his own. Obviously your experience is different than ours.

You seem out of touch on the speed of Tesla Superchargers. Tesla hasn’t installed v2 150 Kw chargers for 3 years.

Cheers.

Tags
ford, light, tow, towing