Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #1

Ford Hybrid and Ford Lightning towing

A video from TFL testing the mentioned trucks. They mention the weight of the lightning at 6,800lbs. if I heard that right. That weight is as much as the F-250.

Tommy and Andre' are doing this test. Probably my two favs.

https://youtu.be/qSpyDBSca6Q
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #2

Batteries are heavy.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Yep, the Lightning will be a very stable towing platform.

People like to make generalizations.
easycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycamper View Post
Yep, the Lightning will be a very stable towing platform.
A lot of what I have read says that EVs in general are very stable and solid. The extra weight, typically centered very low, and with none of the vibrations inherent in an ICE vehicle.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:37 PM   #5

The lightning looks like a great tow vehicle in everything except towing range and price.

What's amazing is how quickly Ford can get a totally new vehicle into production (still waiting for the Cybertruck). I guess 120 years of experience helps.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:37 PM   #6

TFL will also be doing more towing tests to determine the towing range. This will be interesting.

The extra weight of the batteries will wear out tires quicker. Oh, they use oil to make tires. Never mind...

And Solid State Batteries should be ready in 5 years. More range than lithium ion and I think less .
Old 06-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

And Solid State Batteries should be ready in 5 years. More range than lithium ion and I think less .
Don't count on it. Not that you can believe anything Wikipedia says, but here it is anyway:

It was estimated in 2012 that, based on then-current technology, a 20*Ah*solid-state battery cell would cost*US$100,000, and a high-range electric car would require between 800 and 1,000 of such cells.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:11 PM   #8

Toyota says they are going to start using solid state batteries in the 2025 Toyota Prius. That is only 2.5 years away. Don't know if it is true or not until 2025 gets here
Old 06-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #9

not a bad video. looks like those only traveling 50 miles or so and smaller trailers , say 16' or tear drops will be fine. i and my wife towed our toyhauler up to mt rushmore and the surrounding area about 4 weeks ago. very nice trip, very scenic area and 8.5 hrs windy on way. custer nation park is a very nice place to visit with several camp ground in or around the park. one thing i saw consistently were signs that read.....no charging your ev's from camping power pedestals. saw a lot of tesla's driving that area. i am sure the additional power draw has created issues on top of increased electrical bills. the price of camp sites will probably increase as a result. here is a link to some better info for the longer distance usage. https://youtu.be/CZ7HSCcP9YM
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
not a bad video. looks like those only traveling 50 miles or so and smaller trailers , say 16' or tear drops will be fine. i and my wife towed our toyhauler up to mt rushmore and the surrounding area about 4 weeks ago. very nice trip, very scenic area and 8.5 hrs windy on way. custer nation park is a very nice place to visit with several camp ground in or around the park. one thing i saw consistently were signs that read.....no charging your ev's from camping power pedestals. saw a lot of tesla's driving that area. i am sure the additional power draw has created issues on top of increased electrical bills. the price of camp sites will probably increase as a result. here is a link to some better info for the longer distance usage. https://youtu.be/CZ7HSCcP9YM
I donít know. I would think with a typical 16 foot teardrop one could do 150 miles. Heck we are not far off that pulling an 18 foot teardrop with an electric SUV.

There are a bunch of people on the Nucamp teardrop group waiting for E-Trucks. Iím sure there will be real world data soon enough.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I don’t know. I would think with a typical 16 foot teardrop one could do 150 miles. Heck we are not far off that pulling an 18 foot teardrop with an electric SUV.

There are a bunch of people on the Nucamp teardrop group waiting for E-Trucks. I’m sure there will be real world data soon enough.

where 150 miles isn't great range its a lot better then 50! i hope they work for the majority for sure and the trucks look great. interesting enough, there were 8 or so tesla charging stations across the street from wall drug in wall SD. i was surprised to see those there as that is a very small town but a very popular site to see for many passing through and during the sturgis rallies. not sure if the ford lighting or all ev's can use the tesla charging stations or it they are going to make the charging stations brand specific? i hope they are universal as that would really cut down on re charging locations for everyone. this is our 26' toyhauler behind our f350 drw diesel. it does grab a bit of wind and why i question the towing range of the lighting towing something like this 26'. really like the idea of the ev lighting.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
where 150 miles isn't great range its a lot better then 50! i hope they work for the majority for sure and the trucks look great. interesting enough, there were 8 or so tesla charging stations across the street from wall drug in wall SD. i was surprised to see those there as that is a very small town but a very popular site to see for many passing through and during the sturgis rallies. not sure if the ford lighting or all ev's can use the tesla charging stations or it they are going to make the charging stations brand specific? i hope they are universal as that would really cut down on re charging locations for everyone.
Tesla superchargers are membership only and the only way to become a member is to buy a Tesla. Tesla has tried over the years to get other vehicle manufacturers to contribute to the building of the network but none stepped up.

So no, only Teslas can charge at Tesla Superchargers in North America. It is different in Europe where they use a common plug. Tesla has opened up a limited amount of Superchargers in some regions to other vehicles.

Teslas on the other hand can charge anywhere on any network by using an adaptor. We have one. Works well.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:56 AM   #13

I found it amusing that the hotel they stayed at advertised having speed chargers (or whatever the fast chargers are called), but after having it plugged in all night they had to go find a real charger since they didn't get nearly enough charge at the hotel, and couldn't continue their trip. False advertising at it's best, or a faulty charger?
mto502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mto502 View Post
I found it amusing that the hotel they stayed at advertised having speed chargers (or whatever the fast chargers are called), but after having it plugged in all night they had to go find a real charger since they didn't get nearly enough charge at the hotel, and couldn't continue their trip. False advertising at it's best, or a faulty charger?
Maybe. I know some hotels just have 3.3 kw chargers but that is unusual. Way to slow for a truck sized battery. Most are 7.2 Kw. Teslas destination chargers are typically 11 kw.

Or it could have been a faulty charge station. If a charge station senses lie voltage (111 volts) it will current limit and you will get a slow charge.

Hotels don’t have DC fast chargers as they are 10’s of thousands of dollars. But they do have what done call “quick” chargers which are typically 7.2 to 11.8 kw. They are cheap (or even free from Tesla). They use a standard 50 or 60 amp 240 circuit.

Hope that helps.

Tags
ford, light, tow, towing