Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #1

Ford plans to separate EV operation from the rest of the company.

Looks like Ford is going to separate the EV portion of the company.

I wonder if they’ll go to an online sales model like other EV companies.

Obviously this will affect the F150 market.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...es-2022-03-02/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2022, 05:28 AM   #2

That way when the whole (battery powered) EV lark implodes it won't bring down the rest of the company.

Smart move.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #3

I think it's smart, and not for the reasons the above poster mentioned.

Easier for accounting, govt. subsidies and investors to see what's going on with the EV part of the business that way. Also way easier to see how the EV market is coming up vs ICE.

EV will overtake the ICE market within 10-15 years, I am certain of that. The current crisis in Ukraine will definitely push some more people to EVs when fuel hits 2$/l in Canada. It's already over 1.70$/l in some parts of Quebec.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #4

I'll be curious to see how this affects Ford's stock price and how the stock will be split. Ford struggles to raise their share price and is trading at 4 times earnings. My guess is they want in on the outrageous multiples of the EV companies; Tesla trades at 175 times earnings. Think I'll pick up some shares of F today.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
That way when the whole (battery powered) EV lark implodes it won't bring down the rest of the company.

Smart move.
LOL, EV's are the new model T. Just wait.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I'll be curious to see how this affects Ford's stock price and how the stock will be split. Ford struggles to raise their share price and is trading at 4 times earnings. My guess is they want in on the outrageous multiples of the EV companies; Tesla trades at 175 times earnings. Think I'll pick up some shares of F today.
Yah. That makes a lot of sense. There has been lots of talk in investors circles re the ball and chain affect of the ICE side of auto manufacturers. And over the next 20 years it really is just a phase out operation.

The other thing is all the legacy auto manufacturers are fighting a continuous battle with their dealers. All have had to send letters warning dealers not to charge crazy surcharges on their EV’s while at the same time having difficulty getting dealers to train their sales people to be knowledgeable on EV’s.

Even having vehicles charged ready for test drives has been a struggle. One of the local rags did a story awhile ago on trying to take a Mach e for a test drive.
The two units on the lot were both around 20 percent and flashed low charge warnings when initialized. The salesman would then tell them they would have to come back another day as it takes at least a day to charge. (It takes 15 minutes). Mercedes has been busted at this too. Dealers hate EV’s.

I think it’s a push towards the online model with no sales people that EV only manufacturers are using. A delivery centre for deliveries and separate service centres.

Ford might be the first to spin off the EV side. I wonder if others will follow.

All just my humble opinion. Interesting though.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
https://www.thedrive.com/news/44535/...cant-do-it-all

By diversifying the risk/benefit and costs/profit of both will enable Ford to limit tax liability is another reason for splitting it out. General Motors did something similar when they started Saturn as a new way of doing business.

Tags
ford