Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #1

Ford releases new winter testing video of their Electric F150.

Kinda interesting.

https://electrek.co/2020/12/22/ford-...-testing-snow/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #2

Cool. But can it do a tank turn?
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #3

Heh heh. Yah that’s pretty cool. Not sure if it can but apparently it can do a crab walk. .
Old 12-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #4

The big ? How far will it go when its -20f outside. The video just shows what any 4wd truck will do in snow.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
The big ? How far will it go when its -20f outside. The video just shows what any 4wd truck will do in snow.
Meh. We travel in temps close to that.with our EV. Not a big deal. Probably close to minus 15 or 20 C though. Long trips require an extra 15 or 20 minute supercharger or fast charger stop. EV’s have gauges just like gas cars. Plus the car calculates it all out if you tell it where you are going. Hasn’t been a problem for us. The extra 15 or 20 minutes is worth the extra performance and convenience of the EV driving experience. Depends on the person of course. Everybody has different needs.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
So it can cut donuts in the snow. So can a Honda Civic. What I want to see is it towing for a longer distance at maximum load.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
So it can cut donuts in the snow. So can a Honda Civic. What I want to see is it towing for a longer distance at maximum load.

Ken
Yepir. Lots of people waiting for that. I’m sure they will come. Lots of 1/2 ton Electrics poised to hit the market over the next couple years.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #8

Radar, i travel the whole state of Nevada with some towns as far as 160 mi between them. Thats why i want to know how far in below zero temps it will go. I am not against electric vehicles but they will have to be able to do the job. All this recharging if there is a place to recharge means less time at home as well.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Radar, i travel the whole state of Nevada with some towns as far as 160 mi between them. Thats why i want to know how far in below zero temps it will go. I am not against electric vehicles but they will have to be able to do the job. All this recharging if there is a place to recharge means less time at home as well.
I hear ya Nick, and unfortunately I don't have any answers. We travel in similar conditions (its minus 8 celcius here and snow) With a car its not an issue but towing with a truck...in Nevada...in winter...hmmm. I took a quick look at the Level 3 Fast charging facilities in Nevada. They are horrible. Probably not the worst state or province I have seen but its up there. Hopefully that will change soon. We travel and camp Nevada infrequently but not in winter.

I think a lot will have to do with what you are towing, All the E trucks coming out are half tons and most with tow ratings "projected" to be around 6000 to 8000 pounds. I think the exception is the Cybertruck with 12000 pounds. But I wouldn't count on a towing range of more than 150 to 200 miles with that kind of load. But with normal half ton trailer loads 6000-8000 pounds some of the more knowledgeable Tesla folk are guessing around a 250 mile range. But then the problem comes back to charging. In Nevada, at least for now that doesn't look good. One state over you would be fine as V3 Superchargers are getting plentiful. What are you towing?

Anyway, I'm sure that was not a helpful answer with lots of conjecture on my part. Sorry dude.

Here is a snap of the fast charging facilities in your state. A tesla could use all of these. But any of the other manufacturers can only use some. Hope it helps. Ugh :( An EV truck is not in everyone's future for sure.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #10

Seems to me that if EV trucks are going to be successful, then the positioning of chargers is going to have to adapt.
You can't just pull in to a charger pulling a trailer and not block a bunch of other parking/charging spots.
Maybe pull through charges at the end of rows that stipulate a single vehicle has to move for a vehicle towing something.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #11

Yah that is for sure.

It will take some time. It is starting to happen but probably won't kick in to high gear until there are a significant number of pickups on the road. At least for a few years (or 5 or 7) the trailers will be smaller as all the trucks coming out are half tons. I can see lots of boats, smaller travel trailers etc being the type of trailers that people will be pulling with EV trucks for the next while. Even so. Pull in and out charging will be needed.

This is a newer site about 40 km from our place. It would work for a 25 footer etc. There are a few stall like this. Kind of a parallel park type thing.

Some of the newer V3 Superchargers apparently have some stalls that are meant for trailering. I have no pictures as I haven't seen them.

This type is fairly common on the bigger Superchargers though. It would accommodate smaller trailers.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #12

that's a cool kids toy , I cant see using any full electric car or truck for towing any place more then 50 miles from home. I have 95 gallons of fuel on board and don't plan on stopping until sun set tonight , I will see you at the same destination next we if we leave together today. I see Volvo has released a all electric VLN that has a range of about 200~250 miles between charges but that still isn't reasonable for daily use (towing 30,000 lbs).
Old 12-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
that's a cool kids toy , I cant see using any full electric car or truck for towing any place more then 50 miles from home. I have 95 gallons of fuel on board and don't plan on stopping until sun set tonight , I will see you at the same destination next we if we leave together today. I see Volvo has released a all electric VLN that has a range of about 200~250 miles between charges but that still isn't reasonable for daily use (towing 30,000 lbs).
It might be different where you are. Most people towing travel trailers around here are headed to local lakes and parks on Friday night after work and coming back on Sunday afternoon. 20 to 25 foot trailers are super common. SUV’s pulling smaller travel trailers are common. An electric pickup Like the Cybertruck would work great. I don’t understand 30’000 pound daily use thing. These are half tons.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #14

Radar, think about if you lived in Manning Alberta or someplace like that and needed to tow somewhere in sub zero temps. I have no connection to Manning that i know of, i just picked it from a map, although i do have relatives in BC and Alberta.

Tags
electric, ford, test, winter