Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Ford SuperDuty Recall 21S31

Looks like another recall is out there. This time for certain 2020-21 Ford SuperDutys.
Sounds pretty serious.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...y-recalls.html
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Very serious. The video on Youtube I saw showed a rear axle that the tubes were collapsing at the U bolts and spring saddle to the point it was cracking open and starting to leak gear oil. Sounds like they thinned out the axle tubes trying to shave weight and got a little too thin.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #3

Either too thin or too much torque from the 6.7 diesel? In my test drive of the 2020 6.7 diesel there was a very noticable increase of torque vs my 2012 6.7 diesel.

I guess if a 7.3 Godzilla is having a problem then the tube is too thin.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #4

I checked with two Ford dealers 2 weeks ago after the advanced notice came out. They had not heard about it and can not do anything until they have the instructions and materials from Ford. For that matter, I have not seen an owners' notice from Ford.

Not happy about that since we are planning to leave for a 2-month trip with our 5th wheel next week. But assuming the axle might have to be replaced, I guess it can be months until such parts are available. I am not excited about having a dealer tech weld up the axle.

Oh well, I will just check the axle daily and hope this is not a rapidly developing failure.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:46 PM   #5

^^^^ If it looks ok now I don’t think you have to be too terribly concerned. My axle has been heavily loaded quite a few times and as a result appears distorted ….. I noticed months ago the paint is flaked off both sides of the axle tube between the u bolts. So far it hasn’t started leaking any gear oil or done anything funky. We are heading out with our fiver tomorrow for a couple weeks.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #6

I don't see obvious deformation of the axle. But then, I am not really sure where I should look and so far the truck has only 6000 miles on the clock while towing.
There are brackets for the dampers that are welded onto the axle and other brackets for the big spring U-Bolts but I don't really see where those would be welded.
If somebody had a diagram or photo showing the location of the potential problem that would be helpful for me.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Looks like another recall is out there. This time for certain 2020-21 Ford SuperDutys.
Sounds pretty serious.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...y-recalls.html

My F-350 was built at the Kentucky plant in February 2021 so it sounds as though I may be a lucky sweepstakes winner. Many thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-06-2021, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
I don't see obvious deformation of the axle. But then, I am not really sure where I should look and so far the truck has only 6000 miles on the clock while towing.
There are brackets for the dampers that are welded onto the axle and other brackets for the big spring U-Bolts but I don't really see where those would be welded.
If somebody had a diagram or photo showing the location of the potential problem that would be helpful for me.

I think the place the axle would deform is between the u bolts. Iíve likely had up to 5 or 6 thousand pounds on the pin of my truck Ö the u bolts appear tight and I canít see any deformation but because the paint is all flaked off in that area I have a bit of concern.

4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #9

So far so good but I'm about 4/10's through a month long trip to Colorado and back to Fla. Haven't seen any issues as yet on the F350 although I don't have near as much pin weight as some of you guys are hauling. That said, some of these roads in Texas do give me concern tho.

I've got an Appt. to take it to the dealer once I get to my distination to have it checked out next week. That may be a whole different story. I HEAR, Ford is telling its dealers to "Perform a weld repair". I've got a HUGE problem with that and feel I paid extra for the payload and that means a properly spec'd axle. Not a band aid repair, nothing less than a replacement which is what was changed on all subsequent builds. I smell a class action brewing if they don't make it right. Not to mention a black eye for Fords Rep.
2021 Grand Design Solitude S 2930RL-R (#5)
Navy Vet - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor
SGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGhost View Post
........nothing less than a replacement which is what was changed on all subsequent builds. I smell a class action brewing if they don't make it right. Not to mention a black eye for Fords Rep.
I am with you. But I suspect, Ford did just the weld repair thing with the batch of bad axles themselves. Can not imagine they are just going to throw them in the trash.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #11

New axle tubes is the proper way to fix it but they will only R&R the entire rear end and that's only if there is damage. I would make sure that the axle has a real problem and needs to be replaced before taking it in, otherwise you will get the band-aid fix.
I wonder if someone could even request a 4:10 ratio? Then the owner would just need to match the front ratio at a huge cost savings.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I think the place the axle would deform is between the u bolts.........
I get it...did not see the weld first because only the sides of this bracket are welded to the tube not the front and rear edge. Maybe that is even the issue.

The welds look mostly O.K. except a small hairline fissure at the start of one of the welds with some corrosion (see red circles in pictures and the zoomed detail). Does not look too bad so far but I know the such cracks have a tendency to grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3191-001.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	338705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3195-001.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	338706  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3191.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	338707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3195.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	338708  

Old 08-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #13

How in the world can you mess up a heavy duty rear axle. They have been almost flawless forever.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
How in the world can you mess up a heavy duty rear axle. They have been almost flawless forever.
Ha, I found an additional piece of information in the recall section of the Ford app:
"Reduced axle tube wall thickness in the spring seat area, in combination with the two spring seat attachment side weld locations, may be insufficient to support the design load capacity requirements for the F350 SRW 6.7l diesel pickup....."

I guess that answers your question. They may have been flawless but somebody tried to reduce cost. I guess if not completely broken (weld ripped out) they will just weld it all around and think they be done. Not happy.

Tags
ford, recall