Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Ford valve stems DRW

The inside duals' valve stems on my new F-450 are virtually impossible to access. I had to remove the outsides to screw on the tire pressure monitors. I've looked at several extenders but none have been exactly what is needed to solve the problem. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

One of these extenders in the top row might work. Of course you must have solid metal valve stems mounted in the rims to use either a TMPS sending unit or an extender.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy some dually valve stems. Solid metal stems long enough to extend through the outer rim.

Dually Valve - Main Frameset

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Buy some dually valve stems. Solid metal stems long enough to extend through the outer rim.

Dually Valve - Main Frameset

Jon
I have looked at a dozen or more different extenders. The problem is that the stock valve stems do not point at an opening in the outer wheel but point at a solid part of the outer wheel.

I am looking for someone who owns a 2011 f-450 King Ranch who has found a workable solution.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

You can rotate the outer wheel/rim assembly, one stud at a time, to have one of the "hand holes" line up with the inner valve stem. I had the same problem on my old truck because some uneducated tire techs did not know how to properly remount the outer rim & tire.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
One of these extenders in the top row might work. Of course you must have solid metal valve stems mounted in the rims to use either a TMPS sending unit or an extender.
Of course you must have solid metal valve stems mounted in the rims to use either a TMPS sending unit or an extender

Ray: I just bought (after a lot of research and reviews) the Tire Minder tpms. Nothing on this system about solid metal valve stems mounted in the rims being a requirement. I am now worried I missed something?

Thanks
Kent
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #7

Dlovitt are you using a truck pressure gauge? I have a good gauge I use for all my tires but had to switch to the remote gauge on a flex line to do my f350 duals.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Dlovitt are you using a truck pressure gauge? I have a good gauge I use for all my tires but had to switch to the remote gauge on a flex line to do my f350 duals.
I've got so many different tire gauges that I'm thing about opening an auto parts store!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The Valve stems should be 180 degrees from each other so you can get to both. Arctic Owl is correct in rotating one stud at a time till they are liined up with a hand hole. You try to get them at 180, which should be good.
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Go to a commercial truck tire shop and they can custom bend stems for you.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Of course you must have solid metal valve stems mounted in the rims to use either a TMPS sending unit or an extender

Ray: I just bought (after a lot of research and reviews) the Tire Minder tpms. Nothing on this system about solid metal valve stems mounted in the rims being a requirement. I am now worried I missed something?

Thanks
Kent
Some owners have reported rubber stems flex enough, from the miniscule weight of the sensor, to allow very slow pressure loss. IMO, all load range E tires and heavier should use full-metal valve stems anyway, but that's just me. You may not have any problem using rubber stems, I would not be concerned unless your tires begin losing air pressure with the sensors installed. Keep metal stems in mind next time you buy tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dually Valve These are the last you'll ever have to buy, they are one-piece and will require installation but are trouble free and a must IMO with TPMS.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This is similar if not identical to what I used on my 08 F450. I don't know about the '11 since the 19.5 wheels are no longer used. They are by no means an ideal solution. They can leak if not secured tightly. I did, however, use the extenders successfully for 2.5 years until I got rid of the truck. But at that time I wasn't using a TPMS. Not sure I would use the TPMS with a 6" valve extender. Lots of potential problems with that extra extension in the equation.

I am still amazed at Ford's lack of foresight putting that style wheel on a dually.

Tags
ford