Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #43

It's soooo soooothing towing 8500 lbs up an 8% grade
at 65 at 1800 rpms.
Put on some Bach, kick back, and crooooze!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 02:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
The only downside that I see to a gas engine is the lack of an exhaust brake if you're going to be towing heavy. The *only* reason I'd consider a diesel is if we were to upsize from our TT to a big 5'er.
Gas engines have throttles...you do not NEED an exhaust brake.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Throttle doesn't help going down a 6-8% grade in a 26,000lb RV running a Ford V-10 or any gas motor for that matter. That motor had enough power to keep up with diesel pushers going "uphill", but as soon as we crested the top, the diesel pushers would continue down at a comfortable speed, typically the speed limit, whereas I would now be in 1st or 2nd doing 25mph with 4 way flashers going just like a fully loaded semi. That was the "only" way to maintain a safe speed descending without using the brakes, which I prefer NOT to use to hold my speed going down a mountain. I like to know that should I need to use my brakes, that they will be there when needed and not completely useless from riding them all the way down a long pass trying to keep my speed in check.

Personally I believe that was too much weight for a gas engine to control through the mountains out west. Had we lived out east or in the middle of the country, we'd still have that class A. But a typical day driving for us out west can have us traversing 2-3 passes with those 6+% grades. Now with our 5800lb TT our truck has no issues with being pushed down a mountain and I love the way the Ecoboost tows.

That was why I said "If you tow heavy, you might want a diesel" But that's just my take on it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Diesels have throttles too...... not sure I'm following.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #47

Quote:
It's a good tool to have, and a great increase in safety when going down long steep grades especially some in the western US. The whole "you do not NEED..." is really "I don't personnaly require/want it". Unlike a lot of other desires (like the King Ranch interior), exhaust/engine brakes fall squarely in the safety tool category. The heavier the trailer and steeper the grade, the more it will move from desire to heavily reccomended.

A 1970 F350 dually with 390 FE big block will safely tow a majority of the travel trailers out there. Very few NEED a newer truck (You won't pass many gass stations however....[emoji16])

I resemble this, I have a 1993 F350 for all my towing. I don't want a newer truck. However, I also realise that is a personal decision I made based on my wants and desires, therfore not a "need". Frankly, I just can't bring myself to spend a stupid amount of money on a newer truck... that's my personal choice.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #48

If you think there is no difference between a 1970 truck with a carburetor and a modern electronic fuel injection engine your not thinking straight. Try towing anything in the mountains with a carburetor. It won't happen without you stopping to have it re jetted and even then good luck. We're all spoiled with modern technology gas or diesel.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Throttle doesn't help going down a 6-8% grade in a 26,000lb RV running a Ford V-10 or any gas motor for that matter. That motor had enough power to keep up with diesel pushers going "uphill", but as soon as we crested the top, the diesel pushers would continue down at a comfortable speed, typically the speed limit, whereas I would now be in 1st or 2nd doing 25mph with 4 way flashers going just like a fully loaded semi. That was the "only" way to maintain a safe speed descending without using the brakes, which I prefer NOT to use to hold my speed going down a mountain. I like to know that should I need to use my brakes, that they will be there when needed and not completely useless from riding them all the way down a long pass trying to keep my speed in check.

Personally I believe that was too much weight for a gas engine to control through the mountains out west. Had we lived out east or in the middle of the country, we'd still have that class A. But a typical day driving for us out west can have us traversing 2-3 passes with those 6+% grades. Now with our 5800lb TT our truck has no issues with being pushed down a mountain and I love the way the Ecoboost tows.

That was why I said "If you tow heavy, you might want a diesel" But that's just my take on it.
Modern Gassers have the newer 6 speeds that hold gears going downhill like a manual transmission. It's a whole lot less dramatic and entertaining than in the olden days.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
If you think there is no difference between a 1970 truck with a carburetor and a modern electronic fuel injection engine your not thinking straight. Try towing anything in the mountains with a carburetor. It won't happen without you stopping to have it re jetted and even then good luck. We're all spoiled with modern technology gas or diesel.
I think he is just saying that it can be done... there is obviously a difference.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Modern Gassers have the newer 6 speeds that hold gears going downhill like a manual transmission. It's a whole lot less dramatic and entertaining than in the olden days.
I'll agree with you for lighter loads and that's exactly how my F-150 w/ Ecoboost works and works very well, BUT NOT for heavier trailers or RVs. There was no way our class A on the F53 chassis, V10 6 speed was holding any kind of safe speed down a 6% grade, without MANUALLY shifting down into 2nd or usually 1st, motor turning over 4-5000rpm, wife wearing her Bose noise cancelling headphones and me with my shop headphones on.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #52

Quote:
I'll agree with you for lighter loads and that's exactly how my F-150 w/ Ecoboost works and works very well, BUT NOT for heavier trailers or RVs. There was no way our class A on the F53 chassis, V10 6 speed was holding any kind of safe speed down a 6% grade, without MANUALLY shifting down into 2nd or usually 1st, motor turning over 4-5000rpm, wife wearing her Bose noise cancelling headphones and me with my shop headphones on.
Well yea, manually shift of course. I manually shift my coach all the time. Doesn't everyone?.. and especially coming down a mountain.
Engine noise?... I'm a gear head so maybe I'm less bothered by what I understand to be a normally functioning engine. Those 18 wheelers with the exhaust brakes... now that's noisy!
We almost bought a CS 3921 toyhauler but at the last minute that we found our 34' length floorplan. I also wanted a max of 26Klb GCWR for license purposes which meant a 22Klb GVWR F53 chassis. The 30Klb GCWR Canyon Star has a 6:17 gear ratio with 255/80R225 tires where as our coach has the 5:38 / 235/80R22.5 setup so that's really a wash as far as gearing is concerned.
We tow a 5380lb F-150 Laiat EcoBoost... love the EB engine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 F150 resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	343957  
Old 09-23-2021, 11:13 AM   #53

Quote:
Obviously you have never driven a modern diesel with an exhaust brake.

I have both big-block gas engines and a turbodiesel with an exhaust brake. There is absolutely NO WAY that a gas engine will hold back a heavy load down a mountain pass without having to use the brakes. Hook that same load behind a diesel with an exhaust brake and you may have to turn the brake off at times because it will slow the truck down too much. No brake assist needed.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #54

Quote:
I am not following that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
Obviously you have never driven a modern diesel with an exhaust brake.

I have both big-block gas engines and a turbodiesel with an exhaust brake. There is absolutely NO WAY that a gas engine will hold back a heavy load down a mountain pass without having to use the brakes. Hook that same load behind a diesel with an exhaust brake and you may have to turn the brake off at times because it will slow the truck down too much. No brake assist needed.
A different argument here but... todays modern automatic transmissions come into play with a gas engine going down a mountain. Like a manual transmission was used in the old days. A different tool that has a similar affect.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #55

jrollf - are you serious ?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
Agree... but you "could" do it, so a new truck isn't "needed" [emoji16] /s
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems