Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

From Hemi to CTD, Teach me what I need to know bout towing with a diesel

We traded our RAM 1500 hemi for a RAM 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. It has DEF and a jake brake, which are new for us.

This is the first Diesel engine either of us has ever owned. I'd really appreciate any advice and knowledge or suggestions people can give to help me take good care of this truck and use it's great features to provide the best towing experience.

For example I don't know when I should use the jake brake, and it has two modes that I'm not sure I understand.

TLDR; New to Diesel and don't know wth I'm doing! Please help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #2

Do you have a copy f the Diesel Supplement Owners Manual?

Pretty much covers all features, uses and procedures for long term reliable operation of your Cummins

Exhaust brake....
FULL Mode ------decreases vehicle speed
AUTO Mode -----maintains vehicle speed

https://www.ramtrucks.com/download/p...year_supplemen
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
You'll need to change the air filter more often than with a gasser. Diesel engines use lots of air. Just set your trailer up right and go down the road... getting better mileage towing and not noticing hills much at all. One thing I experienced is that even though I use Tow/Haul... I locked out 6th gear and got better mileage last trip. As to Jake brake, I just set mine to auto when towing. It works well. Enjoy... they're a beast fro pulling a TT...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
We traded our RAM 1500 hemi for a RAM 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. It has DEF and a jake brake, which are new for us.

This is the first Diesel engine either of us has ever owned. I'd really appreciate any advice and knowledge or suggestions people can give to help me take good care of this truck and use it's great features to provide the best towing experience.

For example I don't know when I should use the jake brake, and it has two modes that I'm not sure I understand.

TLDR; New to Diesel and don't know wth I'm doing! Please help!
Congrats on the new truck, your going to love it. First thing is these trucks loved to be worked hard and don't like a lot of short trips where the motor doesn't get completely hot. There has been issues with the emissions if you do the short trips. As far as the exhaust (jake) brake I turn it on as soon as I start the truck everytime. The exhaust brake uses the turbo that has a sliding vein system and if you don't use it often the vein could stick. Also the exhaust brake will come on when the motor is cold to heat up quicker. Not recommended to use though in icy or snowy conditions. Also I turn tow/haul on everytime, exhaust brake works better in my opinion. Push button once you get full exhaust brake so that means everytime you let off throttle the brake kicks in if you going more than I think it is 18 mph (28 kph). Hit the button twice (emblem on dash should be green) is auto mode. You can coast in this mode without exhaust brake coming on unless you hit the brake or you can just tap it to make it come on. Auto works really well when pulling trailer and your going down a mountain or hill it will try to maintain the speed you were at when you lifted off throttle. Full exhaust brake will stay on till you get down to 18 mph. Using exhaust brake also really saves on the brakes on truck. As far as DEF most say to use it up till gauge is in the red then fill to keep it as fresh as possible. When buying there is a date code on the package, it should be good for 1 to 2 years if stored in a cool environment. What ever you do do not put DEF in the fuel filler, DEF is to the left of fuel filler with the blue cap. Hope I answered your questions and enjoy your new truck. Ask away if you need more answers. Truck in our signature is our 4th Dodge/Ram Cummins
Pete
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Get signed up at cumminsforum.com and al your questions will be answered.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

You'll never go back to pulling with a gasser.
Keep up with the fuel filter , oil and air filter maintenance and you'll be G2G. Turn the exhaust brake button on after you start the truck, and save your brakes. Get fuel at places that sell large volumes. Mom and pop places sometimes don't go through a lot of diesel, and water may accumulate in those tanks. I've never got bad fuel in my last 2 diesel pickups. Make sure you idle down after running hot, or towing hard to save your turbo from bearing failure. Even in town I idle for at least 1 minute.
DONT PUT GAS IN YOUR DIESEL FUEL TANK!!!!!
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #7

Thanks to all who have responded so far, very helpful!

One question about this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
Make sure you idle down after running hot, or towing hard to save your turbo from bearing failure. Even in town I idle for at least 1 minute.

What do you mean by "idle down"?
Old 06-04-2017, 03:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Thanks to all who have responded so far, very helpful!
One question about this part:
What do you mean by "idle down"?
It’s not uncommon depending on weight, grade, headwind to really shower down on your throttle letting the engine literally run it a WOT (wide open throttle) for extended periods of time. The CTD can take it, but it gets some items hot.

The turbo charger used on most engines has a double ended shaft with spinning impellers on each end inside volutes. The shaft is supported in the center by a bearing(s). This bearing has engine oil pumped through it by the engine oil pump. The exhaust impeller transfers spinning force to the inlet impeller. This exhaust gas is very hot and the volute and adjoining housing gets very hot especially when you’re running the engine hard during heavy towing etc. In some instances this high heat has been known to break down the engine oil in the bearing galley when the engine is suddenly shut off. It’s referred to as “coking” the bearing with a gritty carbon like material. Think of butter burning in a hot skillet. These bearings were / are vulnerable, both at start up (dry, let it idle only) and shutting off because turbo's spin very fast (approx. 10-30K rpm)
Coking is not as common as it once was as engineers have made some improvements to turbo housings, bearings, and oil formulations etc..

So you whip into a rest area for a potty break after running WOT there is no more cool air flow into the engine bay. So you let the motor idle a few minutes and allow the turbo to spool down, and cool a little bit. Cool it don’t coke it.

Whenever hooked up to your trailer use the Transmission's Tow/ Haul mode. This alters your up-shift & downshift points (and those inlet vanes) to maximize maximum torque & RPM ranges in all gears.
Use the Engine Braking.
The “engine brake” which uses the high compression ratio of your CTD engine’s pistons to help slow you down while towing etc. Thus relieving some of the load / heat on your service brakes. There are inlet vanes in this Turbo charger unit that help direct this internal air flow to: 1) increase drag during deceleration. 2) increase boost during some acceleration functions. These vanes are controlled by an actuator, via the ECM (engine control module). When decelerating with the engine the higher the RPM the more engine breaking force is being applied "Reverse HP". Initially it can be a little un-nerving as it revs up, but let the CTD do it’s thing. Your brakes will thank you.
A jake (Jacobs) brake relies on a different fundamental as does the proverbial “exhaust” brake both of which are found on various Class 7 & 8 HDtruck applications.

Happy motoring
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #9

Congrats on the truck purchase. Prepare for a smile you can't wipe off your face when towing... you will not believe the difference.

I also run tow haul mode and exhaust brake every time I get in the truck. Full mode unless I want to maintain my speed on the interstate coming down mountains. Exhaust brake is only somewhat effective if you do not have tow haul mode on... need rhe torque conveter to stay locked. I always let her idle a bit after pulling hard to cool the turbo, but in general you want to minimize the amount of idle time.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #10

Experiment with the EB=exhaust brake and TH=tow haul functions as well as shifting the transmission for changing conditions.

Some people just put them in drive and go, but I enjoy driving and use all the functions as needed.

If you read your owners manual, you will end up knowing a whole lot more about your RAM than many owners.

Enjoy your new truck
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #11

Important to know that your truck is equipped with an " exhaust brake " and not the "compression brake" manufactured by Jacobs and referred to as a " jake brake or engine brake " . So your truck won't have the BARK that semis have while using a Jake brake , and you don't have to abide by the signs at every little town that says " No engine braking allowed"

Enjoy your new tow vehicle , I'm positive you'll get to love diesel power.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
subscribed

very informative. i'd heard of coking years ago. iirc, some old friends of mine installed (turbo timers) on their boosted import hot rods to help prevent this i think? (i was a na guy).
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #13

Make sure you have extra DEF. If you run out, the engine computer will cut back power ... A LOT !
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Make sure you have extra DEF. If you run out, the engine computer will cut back power ... A LOT !
You get plenty of warning before you reach the point where the ECM will cut power. Ignoring the warnings is where people get in trouble. Simply heed the warnings about DEF level and you'll be fine.

I wait until the warning comes on, then I put about three gallons of DEF in there, and it's almost 3/4 full again. No problems at all so far.

Tags
diesel, tow, towing