Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #29

I've been reading about the emissions delete kits out there for late model diesels. Apparently w/out the emissions crap the MPG is better. It may be a better long-term option vs. installing another tank. It is certainly worth investigating if you are OK with defeating some of the the emissions components.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #30

I installed a Titan (plastic) 65gal to replace the factory tank in my 2015 F350 diesel. It was expensive, but I've never regretted doing it.

I put a Transfer Flow (metal) in my previous truck.

They both worked well, but the Transfer Flow was MUCH heavier and therefore quite a bit more of a challenge to install by myself.

Some have had problems with getting a good seal on the Titans. I followed the directions carefully (torque, let it relax, torque again, repeat...) and haven't had any issues in over 90K miles.

Edited to add that the factory tank was plastic, so I don't have any concerns about the Titan being plastic.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #31

X3 on titan.....65gallon xl replacement tank...reprogrammed the truck computer so dte, gal remaining, etc is accurate .

Nothing to switch , nothing in the bed. Over 900 miles a tank full when not towing . Open options when you are.

Got the tank shield as well, entire assembly hangs 2 inches lower than the stock setup

Expensive but a great upgrade over my stock 36 gallon tank.

Ymmv
Palmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
I've been reading about the emissions delete kits out there for late model diesels. Apparently w/out the emissions crap the MPG is better. It may be a better long-term option vs. installing another tank. It is certainly worth investigating if you are OK with defeating some of the the emissions components.
Yes, it is better, but good luck finding anything to program them anymore.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post

The fastest way to void a dealer warranty is to delete your emissions. There are all kids of false claims of power and MPG improvements, but they are just not true. Automotive engineers do a very good job of fine tuning these engines and by making changes, you are messing with a fine tuned system, beware!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #34

As have I. I have from ends with the delete and a tuner installed and get 3-4 mpg gains when towing.

I'm doing a delete on my 2020 truck!
Old 05-30-2020, 03:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The fastest way to void a dealer warranty is to delete your emissions. There are all kids of false claims of power and MPG improvements, but they are just not true. Automotive engineers do a very good job of fine tuning these engines and by making changes, you are messing with a fine tuned system, beware!
Theyre not false claims. The tune you get on any road vehicle isnt the best one for the engine or your driving habits, its the one that can meet epa standards.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #36

I agree that if it is your vehicle, by all means feel free to make your changes. My 2018 Chevy runs perfect the way it is and I won't change a thing on it while it's under warranty.
On my 06 Chevy with 315k miles, I did a PVC and EGR delete which only helped to clean up the engine but did not help in mpg improvements contrary to other's claims. A tune that increases mpg/power will have consequences to the engine. Race car mechanics will tune the engine for max performance and the down side is they have to rebuild the motor frequently.
My career as a auto engineer involved testing and durability. These vehicles are tested under every adjustment and engineers have fine tuned and balanced the vehicle performance. Messing with emissions is not only risky for the system performance but illegal.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Fake news. Mileage is vastly improved with a professional deletion. My neighbor told me.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #38

I have friends with the delete and a tuner installed and get 3-4 mpg gains when towing.

I'm not doing a delete on my 2020 truck.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
I have friends with the delete and a tuner installed and get 3-4 mpg gains when towing.

I'm not doing a delete on my 2020 truck.

I can change my MPG by 2 miles just by changing my driving habits from one trip to another. Even wind direction and speed will alter another 2 mpg.
Most people will claim MPG improvements, but proof is needed. Put the vehicle on a dyno test and measure the fuel usage is the only way to verify mpg. Engineers have done this.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:45 AM   #40

Quote:
I can change my MPG by 2 miles just by changing my driving habits from one trip to another. Even wind direction and speed will alter another 2 mpg.
Most people will claim MPG improvements, but proof is needed. Put the vehicle on a dyno test and measure the fuel usage is the only way to verify mpg. Engineers have done this.
Proof is in the thousands and thousands of personal testimony of people with deletes. If you knew how a burn worked youd understand that theres no way you cant get better mpg. On top of that, engineers program these trucks to operate in specific conditions, with an intact emissions systems that they have to install. Remove the expensive, troublesome components, and factory programming is thrown out the window anyway. For what its worth, i wouldnt own a diesel that was supposed to have emission controls and i really wouldnt void the warranty on one if i had to have one.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #41

Deleted Powerstroke runs smoother, cooler, gets incredible mileage, require less boost, oil stays cleaner and no check engine lights. What's not to like. It's obvious that folks with a deleted PS love them and folks without one want one. I'll rest the case there. A professionally deleted PS with a good SCT tuner set on the most mild tow tune, well-maintained and driven carefully is a thing of beauty and longevity. At least that's what my neighbor told me, but then he isn't "an engineer".
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #42

In all of the back-and-forth about whether a delete improves milage and/or performance, I haven't seen one aspect mentioned at all - emissions. Having had an old smokey diesel and several newer ones, I'll take the clean air. I feel that the issues caused by the emissions controls are a small price to pay for cleaner air.

Tags
fuel