Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 05:29 AM   #1

Fuel MPG 2020 350/3500 Duallies

I would think this would translate to SRW trucks in the same order.

Best mpg is Ford
Middle mpg is GM
Worse mpg is Ram

At least in this one test.

https://youtu.be/a2sNEeKVQcc
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

I'm having a hard time believing the Ford can travel 30% further on a gallon of diesel vs the Ram but if it's TRUE I can't imagine anyone knowing this purchasing a Ram over a Ford.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I'm having a hard time believing the Ford can travel 30% further on a gallon of diesel vs the Ram but if it's TRUE I can't imagine anyone knowing this purchasing a Ram over a Ford.
I question the entire validity of this "test". As much as some think it's a controlled test, a 66 mile loop and not using metered fuel makes this impossible to control.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #4

MPG when buying a 'full size' TRUCK is least of my concerns

Track record/reliability, drivability, capability, comfort....seat of the pants feeling WAY before MPG

I'm buy a TRUCK not a economy car
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #5

TFL is doing the best they can thanks to Andre'. Same 66 miles, same pump, same speed, same trailer. The Ford and GM trucks were done back to back but the Ram was done on a different day a few weeks later.

When all seat of the pants feel is close this would tilt me to the Ford. That, and the small fuel tank in the Ram would push me into the Ford.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

"Best they can" is not a valid test. One would need to test this over at least 3-4 tankfuls and it should be in controlled conditions. Atmospheric temperature, humidity, even the way the driver accelerates can and will vary from day to day. 66 miles is just way,way too short a loop and the pump "click off" is definitely not precise, not by a long shot. One time it may click off with 1l left to top off to the rim, others it can be 5l. How do I know? I have tested this stuff. I have seen the variances.

If I were working at GM or FCA I'd probably be conducting my own tests, scientifically, disprove TFL testing and possibly sick my lawyers on them for peddling false info. Of course, should it come back as even relatively correct they'll shut up about it, as would I. I seriously question such % variances between 3 trucks withing a few hundred lbs and a few HP/TQ ratings of each other.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #7

kdauto - I have to disagree, although the test is not in controlled conditions they are conditions I drives in.

If every truck is doing the same towing I give the test more validation than you do. I think the Ford would come out on top in any mileage test. Same as the up hill run. The Ford has the most powerful engine.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #8

If ya want MPG buy a tent and smart car. You want to drag a big RV. MPG should not be on the list. Its not on mine. Plan and budget for 7MPG if you wind up with extra money in the budget so be it. Its a truck dragging a barn door. It will not be fuel efficient unless your super big trucked and a light weight RV. Even then your not doing great.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #9

The range is what I want. 6 mpg with a 32 gallon tank is not doing it for me. I would like to go 300 miles before needing fuel.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The range is what I want. 6 mpg with a 32 gallon tank is not doing it for me. I would like to go 300 miles before needing fuel.
bigger gas tanks are an option. my truck came with a 40 i upgraded to 53 lol. 3 hours or so behind the wheel towing is plenty for me. i want to stop and get out. check trailer tires hub temps etc.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #11

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
For 2020 you can get a 50 gallon tank. I have a special ordered Longhorn on the way with that option.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #12

If the Ram was in regen during the test that would skew the MPG's. Rams always been pretty good in the mpg department and to be that much lower than Ford means something outside our knowledge was going on.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #13

Fuel consumption is not generally a huge factor for me, but the difference between 6 and 8 mpg towing heavy is pretty substantial. I am also somewhat skeptical of the test conditions (including wind conditions), but it has piqued my interest a bit. Ford looks like it hit a home run with that powertrain, as long as it holds up over time.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:
kdauto - I have to disagree, although the test is not in controlled conditions they are conditions I drives in.

If every truck is doing the same towing I give the test more validation than you do. I think the Ford would come out on top in any mileage test. Same as the up hill run. The Ford has the most powerful engine.
Well, I don't think you are hearing what I'm trying to tell you, so it's valid for you I guess.

I drove a Yugo for 66 miles, it never broke down and ran flawlessly. I also drove a Ford and it broke down during the 66 mile loop. My conclusion, Yugo is#1 and Ford is a POS. Obviously, i'm being sarcastic here so you get the comparison.

There is just so much variance using the "top-off the fuel until it clicks" it could only work if calculated over several tankfuls. A 66 mile loop could work IF they had some way to accurately gauge fuel used.

Tags
fuel