Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Today I went fishing in Hobucken,NC. I caught a few fish but one of the reason for going was cheaper fuel prices. I bought diesel at $2.79 a gallon and gas at $2.69 a gallon. I filled up the truck and boat. Diesel around New Bern Is going for $2.89 and gas for $2.80 a gallon. This is a little out of the way place with new fuel tanks and a cheaper price. It not worth the drive down to get cheaper fuel but I was there anyway. The wide spot in the road is about 30 miles from where I live.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Today I went fishing in Hobucken,NC. I caught a few fish but one of the reason for going was cheaper fuel prices. I bought diesel at $2.79 a gallon and gas at $2.69 a gallon. I filled up the truck and boat. Diesel around New Bern Is going for $2.89 and gas for $2.80 a gallon. This is a little out of the way place with new fuel tanks and a cheaper price. It not worth the drive down to get cheaper fuel but I was there anyway. The wide spot in the road is about 30 miles from where I live.
Tom
Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Tom,

That new Walmart that's near where we're having our September rally in Unicoi, TN had diesel for $2.649 and gas for $2.449 (with gift card credit). If it stays low there I'll let you know just before the rally so you can figure on tanking up there.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dianne will be at the Wal mart no mater what the price of fuel is. It is bad to be happy to find $2.69 fuel
Tom
Old 06-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #5

We quit purchasing fuel at W-Mart and Sams. Ours don't carry deisel, and the gas they carry tends to clog injectors.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the gas they carry tends to clog injectors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this just a 'warm fuzzy' or is there data to support that their gas clogs injectors?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #7

Data? My wifes car dying. More like fact. Quit the Sams and Walmart gas, and no more issues.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #8

Last time I was in Moorhead City, the Kangeroo across from the Walmart Super Center was cheaper. The best load of fuel I ever got was outside of Wilmington NC. Went from there to Scranton, PA. Took 31 Gallons in Scranton. That was running on Cruise, not towing. I found that for what ever reason, Fuel in NC is good. Better than in Florida. New Jersey also has some good fuel. I guess its close to the refinerys.

Dave
Old 06-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I found this very interesting, while at Baltimore MD's inner harbor, the diesel at the Inner Harbor Marina fuel dock is $2.68 a gal. That is $0.10 cheaper than the Flying J in North East MD. Guess I need to load the truck on a barge a hit the marina fuel dock.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
I found this very interesting, while at Baltimore MD's inner harbor, the diesel at the Inner Harbor Marina fuel dock is $2.68 a gal. That is $0.10 cheaper than the Flying J in North East MD. Guess I need to load the truck on a barge a hit the marina fuel dock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't be absolutley sure, but I would bet that was "Red Dye Diesel" that is used for off road use. I would say that price was high for red fuel. Generally the price would be less any Federal, State, City, County Taxes that might be applied if it was used for highway use.

Here in Florida Red Dye for off road use is about $0.55 cents/gallon cheaper.

Dave
Old 06-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoastalDav:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
I found this very interesting, while at Baltimore MD's inner harbor, the diesel at the Inner Harbor Marina fuel dock is $2.68 a gal. That is $0.10 cheaper than the Flying J in North East MD. Guess I need to load the truck on a barge a hit the marina fuel dock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't be absolutley sure, but I would bet that was "Red Dye Diesel" that is used for off road use. I would say that price was high for red fuel. Generally the price would be less any Federal, State, City, County Taxes that might be applied if it was used for highway use.

Here in Florida Red Dye for off road use is about $0.55 cents/gallon cheaper.

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep in mind, regular unleaded gas at the marina fuel docks, is about $0.55/Gal higher than at the gas stations. I figured the same would hold true for diesel.