Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Full-size toolbox with 5th wheel

Hi everyone,

I've got a 2007 Ram 3500 and a 2015 Heartland Big Country that I just picked up. I found a great deal on a WeatherTech tool box and I want it, but the box sticks up about 4" above the bed rails. I have about 6" of clearance all around currently.

Does anyone have any experience with a full size tool box? It's a great deal and I want to pull the trigger but I'd also prefer not to smash up the front of my trailer.

Picture attached - mostly because I want to show off my rig!

KarnaughAtla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #2

Full size tool box would be in front of bed so only time it would be questionable is when making 'U' Turns and/or tight maneuverings when backing

Top of box sticking up 4" ABOVE bedrail and 6" of bedrail clearance you WILL make contact with top of box/5vr overhang underside with 'off angle' situations

I have 6" clearance and have come very close to to making contact with bedrail when 'off angle'

Attention/vigilance would be key....but still could be an issue.
That 2" between top of box and underside of 5vr overhang can 'disappear' in an instant when doing tight maneuvers
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Full size tool box would be in front of bed so only time it would be questionable is when making 'U' Turns and/or tight maneuverings when backing

Top of box sticking up 4" ABOVE bedrail and 6" of bedrail clearance you WILL make contact with top of box/5vr overhang underside with 'off angle' situations

I have 6" clearance and have come very close to to making contact with bedrail when 'off angle'

Attention/vigilance would be key....but still could be an issue.
That 2" between top of box and underside of 5vr overhang can 'disappear' in an instant when doing tight maneuvers
Thanks Old-Biscuit. I think that I know it's probably not a good idea, but I was hoping I'd get dozens of people chiming in to say that it's no problem.

Oh well. I think a chest that sits in the bed is probably a better idea!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

This is similar to my setup in my 2007 3500 Dodge SRW Quad Cap
Tool box is even with top of bedrail and then the 'partner' box sits right at rear of bed (can open with 5vr hitched up)
Similar----instead of forward tool box I have a 4KW Gen in an enclosed box

Highway Products.....not cheap but high quality, well built
https://www.highwayproducts.com/fifth-wheel-tool-boxes
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #5

My tool box in the Dually comes up flush with the bed rails, no chance it can interfere with the cab of the 5ver (since traded in on our MH). Worked flawlessly for the 17 years we had the 5ver.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnaughAtla View Post
I found a great deal on a WeatherTech tool box and I want it, but the box sticks up about 4" above the bed rails. I have about 6" of clearance all around currently.
Then it's not a great deal. It's a lousy deal.

You want a full-size tool CHEST that does not stick up above the bed. I had a WeatherGuard tool chest in my pickup for 10 years when I towed a 5er all over the lower 48. Never any problem with trailer to tool chest contact.

Here's the WeatherGuard tool chest I had in my F-250 with 8' bed. That one will fit in an F-150 with an 8' bed:
Model 684-5-01 All-Purpose Chest, Aluminum, Full Extra Wide, 18.6 cu ft

If your F-150 has a 6.5' or shorty bed, then that one is too big, so you have to back off to this one:
Model 674-5-01 All-Purpose Chest, Aluminum, Full Compact, 10.0 cu ft

Of course, WeatherGuard is the cream of the crop, and therefore expensive. If you want a less expensive tool chest, then look at the brand sold by Tractor Supply. But don't expect WeatherGuard quality at a Tractor Supply price.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #7

Towed over 10k miles so far with an over the rail tool box with my 5er. Never crossed my mind it would even come close to hitting . I've got a 15 ram long bed dually. I don't think there's any difference in hitch setup with the 3rd gen ram. How about a direct side picture? Maybe the nose of your trailer is more forward than mine.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #8

4" above the bed rail is imho cutting it too close.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Tool box is even with top of bedrail and then the 'partner' box sits right at rear of bed (can open with 5vr hitched up)

That's a nice setup - a little pricey for me right now, but definitely something to consider for the future.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think we're going to go with a chest that sits in the bed, not on the rails.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you have the 8 foot bed it should be ok even with 4 inch above the bed. 6.5 forget it! It will hit the trailer in a tight turn. Mine is a long bed with a 4 inch top. Not even close to hit. Nice tool box. Too pricey for my blood though. I still have the old one i have had for years now. All steel. Wish i could afford one of those aluminum boxes...Maybe when i win the lottery....
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

X2 on quality and price. The warranty on all their products is lifetime transferable. I have had a few problems with minor OEM parts they used. But they were quick, friendly, and professional to send me replacement parts without any questions.

I did have a major problem with the paint. There was a problem with either the paint or the body filler they used on the seams. The filler bled through the paint. When I called, they were aware of the problem. Seemed like the entire company mobilized to solve the issue. I talked with several managers. The gentleman who sold me the RV body for my truck contacted a local paint and body shop that worked with aluminum bodies. The problem was solved without any issues and it didn't cost me a penny, except a little time and fuel. A complete surface preparation and repaint was done with a little extra work. Looks like new and still does over four years later.

Can see the beige color at the seams.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	187375

Can see the beige color around and under decal.

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	187376

Repainted with a little song verse added.

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	187377

Repainted with the B&W decal replaced by airbrush art.

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	187378
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel