Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #15

Well in 1988 I bought my first Deisel truck It had a four speed stick. I opted for a 355:1 rearend as I would use it mor unloaded than loaded. 21 mpg empty HW milage.
In 2000 I purchased my second Deisel. 6 speed stick 373:1 rear. As on now with about 38000 miles on it I get allot less fule economy. Still in break in period. Both were Ford 250's HD. You need to test drive them both before purchasing. I love the Deisel for mountain traveling. Mine is a 7.3 powerstroke. I'm not sure how the new 6. Ford Deisel is on fuel economy or power. I would stay away from any of the V 10's Gas guzzlers.
Hope my experience helps

Rick
Rick007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #16

I have pulled the same RV with both a gas big block and a diesel.

When I bought my 12000 pound travel trailer I had a GMC Crew Cab 3500 DRW with a 7.4L engine and 4:56 gears. It pulled the TT just fine, except I got 6 mpg towing and 11 mpg empty. At 70 mph the engine RPM was 2900. It also struggled in the mountains.

Then I bought a 01 GMC Crew Cab 3500 DRW with the 6.6 L duramax diesel and 3.73 gears. It acellerated better loaded, handled the mountains better. Engine RPM is 2100 at 70 mph. MPG towing was 11.5 mpg and empty 17 mpg

I now have an 06 GMC Crew Cab DRW with the Duramax diesel and 3.73 gears. It does not get quite as good mpg as the 01 did due to emission controls that were added to diesel trucks. I basically lost 1 mpg compaired to the 01. However with the new six speed auto engine rpm is 1850 at 70mph.

After pulling with a diesel I will never pull over 6000 pounds with gas again. In fact I doubt I will ever buy a HD truck with out a diesel again.

I would rather drive a diesel with out the trailer than the gas truck with out the trailer also.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can someonr tell me what the extra maintenance costs are on a diesel are? Also someone suggested a diesel was less than desirable in cold weather. Diesels run all the way to the arctic circle with no problems but I dont think I want to camp in super cold weather anyway.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A diesel in a pick up will hold about 14 or 15 quarts of oil compared to 5 quarts in a gasser. Oil filters on my Powerstroke run about $11.00 each and I cange the oil and filter at 5000 mile intervals. Towing with a gasser, you need to change the oil an a gasser a 3000 miles.

When a diesel breaks down, such as injectors, they can run $200.00 plus each. Other repairs on a diesel will be pretty expensive as well.

But on the plus side, A gasser is prestty well worn out t 150000 miles while you can expect to see over 300000 miles on a cared for diesel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #19

First I must prefix my comments with the following disclaimer: I am not an expert at anything regarding vehicles and towing. However one very important point comes to mind in this situation; given exactly the same engine displacement, gearing, and weights – a diesel engine will out pull a gas engine – in any weather – at any altitude – and do it with less fuel. Maintenance is more expensive because of numbers and types of filters and quarts of crankcase oil. With poor maintenance a diesel engine will out last a gas engine with impeccable maintenance in the same environment doing the same work.

I wish I could afford one now!
RSmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:22 AM   #20

The imminent ULSD diesel fuel will be about 35-50 cents more per gallon than gasoline, if that makes any further difference. I received many comments similar to ivory snatchers, concerning the Ford V10, and also the GM 8.1L gas engines, while wintering is S. Florida last year. I really like my GM Duramax/Allison pickup and don't plan to replace it, but if I do, a gas engine makes more financial sense for me. As for trade-in value, ask any pickup sales and you'll find financing is more difficult on high mileage pickups, the diesel engine has no cause/effect on trade-in value.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
The imminent ULSD diesel fuel will be about 35-50 cents more per gallon than gasoline, if that makes any further difference. I received many comments similar to ivory snatchers, concerning the Ford V10, and also the GM 8.1L gas engines, while wintering is S. Florida last year. I really like my GM Duramax/Allison pickup and don't plan to replace it, but if I do, a gas engine makes more financial sense for me. As for trade-in value, ask any pickup sales and you'll find financing is more difficult on high mileage pickups, the diesel engine has no cause/effect on trade-in value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WIth regards to ULSD, be aware that it will be more expensive than #2 for a while and the distribution infrastructure won't be there right away, which will limit your availablilty of fuel sources initially.

There are a lot of good deals, this time of year, on 2006 models that are new on the lot and being discounted to move them out of dealer inventory. This can significantly reduce your capital acquisition cost for a new truck. Also, there are a lot of nice slightly used rigs out there that are very nicely priced. Just make sure if you go that route that the mfgr's warranty is transferrable.

There's lots of good info here on why to buy a diesel vs. gasser. Longevity, power, torque (big difference between diesel and gas - and torque is what moves the load) but I find that a diesel has one other advantage when you combine the HP and torque factors - They really are powerful and fun to drive. Smokin' (literally! ) a gasser up a steep grade while pullin' or not pullin', does give a certain amount of satisfaction. I know...it's a guy thing, cINDY, but I know my better half also comments on how powerful the truck feels. Yep, she drives it from time to time, even when towing. She feels much more comfortable, and safe, when towing with the diesel rig than when she towed with our previous gassers. She's even commented on more than one occasion that, "This thing really hauls!"

I've created a monster...

Crew Cab, Banks Power
MADDOG` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
As for trade-in value, ask any pickup sales and you'll find financing is more difficult on high mileage pickups, the diesel engine has no cause/effect on trade-in value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so around here - I have traded in 2 used diesel pickups and have had buyers test driving them before I could get the papers signed on the new one. The price reflected the $5,000 diesel engine options.

If you really want to verify the used values of diesel vs. gas, check eBay. Same goes for Class A/C motorhomes.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #23

The imminent ULSD diesel fuel will be about 35-50 cents more per gallon than gasoline, if that makes any further difference.

As for trade-in value, ask any pickup sales and you'll find financing is more difficult on high mileage pickups, the diesel engine has no cause/effect on trade-in value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will agree ULSD is more than gas. Which it should not be, diesel cost way less than gas to make. It will make it harder to pay for a diesel with just the mpg savings if not eliminate them.

I have done much better with the resale of high milage Diesel trucks. My last five trucks have been crew cab 3500 GM's. The first two were gas 454 trucks, loaded. With 130,000 plus miles on them they were very hard to sell. These trucks were only 4 years old and spotless. Took several months to sell and got less than 1/3 purchase price for them. The 2001 duramax was four years old, had over 135,000 miles on it. Sold in 2 days, got just over 1/2 the purchase price for it.

Resale on a high milege diesel in my area is way better than on a gasser.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #24

I was wrong about the price of S15 fuel. the EPA announcementsays it will be about 4.5-5 cents higher than S500 diesel fuel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave:
I will agree ULSD is more than gas. Which it should not be, diesel cost way less than gas to make. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Please bear in mind:

1. ULSD requires much more refining than our old "high sulfur" or even LSD in order to bring sulfur levels down to 15 ppm.

2. Federal and some state fuel taxes are higher on diesel than on gasoline.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote