Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #113

I am a diesel guy and won't go back to a gas truck.

BUT MY QUESTION IS? An no one has addressed this! How do you fuel up a gas rig with a 13'-6" tall 5er and 55" total length of truck and trailer, at a gas pump. When the gas island is perpendicular to the store and the cars are zipping in and out of the gas station.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post

BUT MY QUESTION IS? An no one has addressed this! How do you fuel up a gas rig with a 13'-6" tall 5er and 55" total length of truck and trailer, at a gas pump. When the gas island is perpendicular to the store and the cars are zipping in and out of the gas station.
I'm not that tall, just a TT but between my long wheelbase pickup and 30+ feet of travel trailer I'm over 50' and have no trouble finding easily accessible pumps. At least out west here, Canada, WA,OR,CA,NV and AZ. Plus I don't have to worry about stepping in puddles of diesel.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #115

Quote:

Probably no one has addressed it, because the OP has a TT that weights 6000lbs.

I’ve seen 5ers pull up to ordinary pumps to get diesel and I’ve done it in a 37’ coach with a car in tow. So, you just have to know what you’re doing and choice of fuel should make no difference.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #116

Quote:

This really is my ONLY concern about going gas with a truck to pull a potential fifth wheel. It's really is valid.

The solution is the same as I do today with my gas truck and bumper pull (42 feet maybe?):
Be careful.
Plan in advance.
Fuel up whenever possible while unhooked.
Be patient.

I do everything I can to avoid perpendicular pumps and small facilities. With most Loves/Pilot/Flying J/Buc-ees/TA/Petro truck stops etc it really is not an issue. And in fact some small older places still have parallel pumps.

Plus, the increase in all islands (including end caps) having all fuel types helps.

But, like I said, I worry about this issue a lot more than whether a 7.3 mighty gas engine will pull 10,000 pounds. It will pull it just fine.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #117

Quote:

I dunno, I have done it hundreds of times. My setup is currently 12'10" tall but it is WAY way longer than 55". Actually, we are at 50' 4" until I fabricate a rear hitch and rack for the 5er.

I use my judgement and won't go to some tiny convenience store with less than 10' clearance between pumps and store with pumps perpendicular to the store. I can turn 90 to 100 degrees when needed.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #118

I pulled into a pump and had turning room until a car parked where I needed space to turn. I waited and pulled out as soon as I could before another car parked in my way.

Yes, I was facing the store.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #119

Freightliner Owners Club
Jimcumminsw,

I too believe in the power of diesel. to your point I am 73 feet long and I feel your pain. I will plan my fuel stops before I leave as best I can. use your laptop to look at satellite pictures of the fuel stop. I often use Walmart as they generally have fuel islands away from the store and some times easier to navigate. the single most important thing I do is attempt to navigate a path in and out before I pull into the station. sometimes I literally will stop on the shoulder and walk to where I would fuel. I also carry a lot of fuel onboard to minimize how many times I have to stop. you may want to consider buying an extra tank for your truck (if you have room for it) weight wise and space.
if needed I can run almost 2,000 miles without stopping for fuel. You might also consider investing in some sort of GPS or app for trucks that has a fueling application. they would tend to lead you to fuel stops that are easier to get in and out of. the last piece of advice which is probably the single most important thing is to learn how your set up functions in tight spaces, going around obstacles. make certain you have as much visibility as possible.
I have cameras on the side of my trailer, the back of the trailer and two on my truck. However to be blunt if you spend time practicing none of those things will help. the single biggest advantage you will have it to know your personal rig and understand how to maneuver it properly.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #120

Quote:

Vary rarely found height to be the issue when fueling. Have done it both ways. Out here on the west coast as far as the roads we take there's not that many big rig stations so 97% of the time we use regular gas stations. I've been right around 54' OAL with a truck and TT and while some station are not long combo friendly most seem to be big enough to get in.
I find that fuel stations along the interstate or hwy's to be much more long rig friendly than what you find in town where most all have pumps close to the food mart.
To put it in perspective I spend more time looking for the lowest prices when there's a row of stations along the interstate or hwy than looking for an easy in and out.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:29 AM   #121

Do as i have done and think outside the box. You might make someone angry or you might make someone laugh but at least you can get fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D88A34A6-3C4D-4263-959D-CBF5F6AE614C.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	307041  
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Do as i have done and think outside the box. You might make someone angry or you might make someone laugh but at least you can get fuel.
Just make yer own parallel pumps! Brilliant!

A little bit of each of these :

Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Or, ask the guy with the 5er for some driving tips.

Looks like he managed the gauntlet.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #124

Another thing to consider is you won't be filling up as often with a diesel vs gas. That makes it easier to find the right fuel station.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #125

The guy with the 5er is my friend (rip) and could back up without unhooking.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #126

my choice

I went round and round with this very same issue. We bought a 30 Ft RV and the Ram 1500 was just too small with the size and weight. I traded it for a 2020 Ram 2500 with the diesel. Its like a night and day difference. I looked at all of the pro's and con's of both the gas and diesel, but towing long distances for a couple of weeks at a time. The diesel won. I don't like the fact of having to pull up to gas pumps all of the time. one little trick I learned, gas up in the back of the truck stops and you will have all of the clearance you need. Most places you can join and use the Semi diesel pumps.. Happy Camping
Fleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas