Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Current 2500 series trucks have a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. A diesel truck depending on a number of facrors will scale ready to go betweenm7500 and 8000 pounds. Leaving around 2000 pounds for people, gear, and hitch weight. A 6000 pound trailer even using 15% number is only going to dump around 900 pounds hitch weight leaving 1100 pounds for people, and gear. For a trailer up to around 8,000 GVWR a well equipped 2500 even a diesel would be well suited.
You’re a bit off the mark with those vehicle weight numbers. Every owner should check the numbers for their particular vehicle and, ultimately, weigh the truck and trailer.

As an example, the 2021 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab, 2WD, regular bed, 6.6L has, weighs 6352, GVWR 10,150, Payload 3798.

The same truck with the 6.6L diesel and 4x4 weighs 6642, GVWR 11,150, Payload 4508.

You right, a 2500 is plenty capable for the OP. They even have more payload than you imagined.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetTaxi View Post
By today’s standards, the stock HP and torque numbers are not all that great. Just from memory, it seems like it was something like 225HP, 300 FtLb torque?? And yes, noise and diesel smell is part of the enchantment. Not as clacky sounding as the older Ram / Dodge diesels, though.
Were the older diesels turbodiesels? The turbos quiet things down quiet a bit on both intake and exhaust, as do the emissions systems. The small 2.8 Duramax doesn't even have a muffler on the exhaust.

My mom had one of the early Mercedes car turbodiesels and you could barely tell it was a diesel.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #45

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
In used gas trucks, if you like your work truck with the 6.0 litre gas engine you would love the Ram with the 6.4 Hemi or the Ford 6.2 Boss engine. Both are better than the GM 6.0 imho.

I would recommend a 2017 or newer Ford F-250 6.2 gas engine or the 2014 and newer Ram 6.4 gas engine.

The 6.0 GM gas engine would come in 3rd in my recommendation. The cooling of this engine is not sufficient from what I have seen. Power is also a weak area of this engine.
You're right that the 6.0 makes the least power out of the 3. However it is still very reliable. The Ford 6.2 has also proven itself as reliable as well, few people complain about the Ford 6.2. The 6.4 Hemi however is NOT reliable. They have a system called MDS (GM has a similar system called AFM/DoD on their 07+ 5.3s and 17+ 6.2s, the 6.0s do not have that system, although the last of the 6.0s had VVT) the system has a decent failure rate with failed lifters, leading to bent push rods and eaten camshafts. The non MDS Hemis are are okay as long as they don't sit idling or run at low RPM for a long time (the cam is mounted so high in the block and the lifter angle is so shallow the cam can get starved of oil). The beauty of the GM LS engines is they can be cam swapped easily and there's tuners in every big city that can get you more power and better drivability (I can do an LS cam swap in an afternoon on a Gen 3/4 anyway). Ford you need 4 cams $$$$ or a Blower $$$$ to really get any power gains and at that point you should've just bought the 6.7 PSD. It seems 5star email tunes and a piggy back computer seem to be the most popular option for Ford trucks.

If you look at the Dyno numbers for the BTR truck cam linked above they got to roughly 400 lb/ft & 400 hp out of a 5.3! Those numbers would be even greater with a 6.0. Ford 6.2 is @ 385 hp and 405 lb⋅ft for the 2010-16 engines and 430lb/ft on the newer 17+ trucks.

Honestly it's a tough decision between the Ford F-250 with the 6.2 or the Silverado/Sierra with a 6.0. The GM is cheaper to buy and repair (and mod/upgrade) but the Ford has much nicer fit and finish and IMHO a better looking truck. Some claim the GM rides and drives better than the Ford and drives like a smaller truck. These guys have great comparisons of all the newer trucks towing: https://tfltruck.com/category/show-s.../ike-gauntlet/
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #46

Forest River Owners Club
MDS on Ram is easily turned off with an app called AlphaOBD. It's the first thing you should do if you get a Hemi FCA vehicle.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #47

Just add to competition between 3/4T vs. 1T and gas vs. turbodiesel, I have towed our fifth wheel 36,000 miles with a 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel. The truck now has 52,000 miles and has been back at the dealer 5 times for repairs. All 5 were recalls covered by the manufacturer. I have also just completed my fifth annual maintenance. I have spent nothing out of pocket for repairs in five years, just maintenance and tires. I get 11.5-13 mpg when towing, 21-22 mpg (calculated) without the trailer on long Interstate trips. Today, gas and diesel prices at my normal gas station are identical -- $2.17 per gallon. And my house is at 6,000' in Colorado.

PS--My wife has said that the Ram is the most comfortable of the 5 pickups we have had, even while towing. Maybe due to even the 2500 having rear coil springs instead of leafs.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it cost you!
Old 10-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutties View Post
After being educated by the community that I need a 3/4 ton truck in my life I have been shopping around. I am trying to stay under the $35k figure but it's proving difficult for what I want, especially here in Phoenix were 4x4 trucks carry a premium.
Another question that has come up is if I am going to want a diesel or not? We live in Phoenix and make a few decent hauls a year. We make it up to Loveland, Colorado at least twice a year and probably an average of 10 or so trips up the AZ mountains to Flag, Prescott Mogollon Rim etc.
Trailer is a max weight #6,000 plus our family of 5 and pushing #1,000 of gear in the bed of the truck (bikes, generator, grill, coolers etc.)
Should I be looking at an older model year diesel or a newer model year gas?
I am partial to GM. My work vehicle is a Chevy 2500 gas and I like it. Have always had Chevy or GMC.
I just bought a 2020 F350 Dually. I built this truck online Ford’s website. Picked up at my local Ford dealer and price was 42,000 taxes, title, tags. They wanted $10,000 more for diesel versus the 6.2 gas that I bought. In my opinion that’s way too much money for a diesel. You may want to change your mind about Ford simply because it will never rust because of the aluminum body.
pbrockmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Went through this in April-May of this year and settled on 2020 Dodge 2500 3/4 ton Gas Hemi 6.4L and just went over 10,000 miles.
Observations are as miles and oil changes occur, gas mileage is getting better.
Non tow 16-18 towing Airstream 33' Classic (8000dry) I estimate 9000 lbs. towing I am getting 8-10 depends on quality of gas (non ethanol $2.30 Walmart) I can bump it up at least 2 mpg sometimes 3 depending on terrain. pretty much maintain speed limit everywhere with exception 65-68 tops on any interstate or 4 lane.
Never an issue on ride or enough beef and never any strain. Hitch set up is Husky Heavy duty Centerline 32218 12K tow 800-1200 tongue (proper height weight imperative). All in all I am very pleased with set up, only draw back height of tail gate and rear of truck (small ladder).
I do not know what it is like now but in April-May with Covid inventory was LOW and actually bought new 2020 for less or same as used so I went with new and with trade was in low $30's Longhorn package with extras I only use.
Hope this helps any questions just shoot a message.
fourleaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #50

Pbrockmeyer - did you say you have a 2020 F-350 Dually with the 6.2 Boss engine? If so, what is the payload on your truck?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Diesel trucks are nice,sure, but they aren't for everyone. For me, having it sit 6 to 8 months a year would not make it a wise choice. Using them as grocery-getters for weeks or months on end when not hauling just creates expen$ive problems to fix.
I think this another one of those internet myths that keeps getting repeated. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Cummins HO which is used for hauling my camper and is used as a DD. I haven't had it long enough to know but I also have friends with diesels which are used the same way for hauling 5vers. None of them have any issues associated with being used as DD's.
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #52

I'm not going to go back through all of the posts but if you want my own personal experience, we bought a brand new 2001 Chev Duramax/Allison in 01 and then we bought a loaded 36 foot Hitchhiker 5th wheel in 2004. We ordered it the way we wanted it with 4 wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. It was the first one to come out of their factory that way. It was a heavy unit made for 4 season living. We lived in it full time for 3 years. I never once regretted having that diesel. For pure pulling power, you can't beat a diesel. And I would not have anything but a Chevy. Never once had a problem with it that wasn't self caused. I drove it too long between fuel filter changes once and learned my lesson. I added a PacBrake exhaust brake and that was the single best thing I added to either unit. That thing would stop. That's the biggest thing that most folks don't understand. You can pretty much pull anything with a 3/4 ton truck but if you can't stop what you are towing, you're gonna have problems. JMHO!
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
I think this another one of those internet myths that keeps getting repeated. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Cummins HO which is used for hauling my camper and is used as a DD. I haven't had it long enough to know but I also have friends with diesels which are used the same way for hauling 5vers. None of them have any issues associated with being used as DD's.
As a mechanic I discussed this with another mechanic friend who drives a diesel. Since he decided to go to a seasonal campsite he has had nothing but problems with his truck. 2 turbo replacements later...
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrockmeyer View Post
I just bought a 2020 F350 Dually. I built this truck online Ford’s website. Picked up at my local Ford dealer and price was 42,000 taxes, title, tags. They wanted $10,000 more for diesel versus the 6.2 gas that I bought. In my opinion that’s way too much money for a diesel. You may want to change your mind about Ford simply because it will never rust because of the aluminum body.
The diesel will also have a higher resale value. So it’s all relative.

And those aluminum body parts will dent easily.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #55
laj

Gas vs Diesel 3/4 Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetTaxi View Post
By today’s standards, the stock HP and torque numbers are not all that great. Just from memory, it seems like it was something like 225HP, 300 FtLb torque?? And yes, noise and diesel smell is part of the enchantment. Not as clacky sounding as the older Ram / Dodge diesels, though.

Specs for an ‘01 are auto trans 250 hp, 505 torque. Man. trans is 275 hp, 525 torque. They twist the man. trans 200 rpm more.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #56

for towing nothing less than a diesel works. sure some of the new big block gassers are good pullers. but like all big block gassers they just can not pass up and fuel station.
how long a gasser will last? most gasser motors are trash by 15K miles. diesels are still good at 300K .... all pending proper maintenance
any new truck will maybe out last me (61) but the fail on ALL cars and trucks are the extensive... and very expensive to repair... computers..
if i were to buy a new 2021 truck. i would be dead and rotted away long before the truck could be paid off.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas