Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #1

Gas vs diesel super duty owner review

Hey everyone. Just traded in my 2019 f250 super duty lariat sport 4x4 with a 6.2 gas motor. Bought a 2020 f350 lariat sport 4x4 with 6.7 powerstroke. Sold our stryker 3010 toy hauler and took it to its new owners yesterday. Trailer is 8k lbs roughly empty. Let me start by saying my 2019 f250 towed this trailer when full at 10k lbs just fine. No complaints. The f350 doesn't feel much different then the f250 as far as stability, both rock solid. The powertstroke with the 10 speed is an absolute monster comparatively speaking. I got 11 mpg on the nose towing the trailer for 1.5 hours on average highways. Empty on the way home I got 24 mpg. I got 6-7 mpg towing with the gas truck and about 13-14 empty on the highway. The steering is totally different on the 2020 also. Im not sure what ford did but its smoother for sure. Im not trying to poo poo on the gas truck because I enjoyed that truck and it served its purpose for what we needed. I still believe the best value for a person needing to tow heavy is a heavy duty gas truck. The powerstroke is heads and shoulders a much better towing engine if that is what you want and can afford. This is my honest impressions of the new truck and hope this helps someone who is trying to decide between the two. Have a great Thanksgiving fellow campers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201117_070355.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	308885  
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elev8torguy View Post
Hey everyone. Just traded in my 2019 f250 super duty lariat sport 4x4 with a 6.2 gas motor. Bought a 2020 f350 lariat sport 4x4 with 6.7 powerstroke. Sold our stryker 3010 toy hauler and took it to its new owners yesterday. Trailer is 8k lbs roughly empty. Let me start by saying my 2019 f250 towed this trailer when full at 10k lbs just fine. No complaints. The f350 doesn't feel much different then the f250 as far as stability, both rock solid. The powertstroke with the 10 speed is an absolute monster comparatively speaking. I got 11 mpg on the nose towing the trailer for 1.5 hours on average highways. Empty on the way home I got 24 mpg. I got 6-7 mpg towing with the gas truck and about 13-14 empty on the highway. The steering is totally different on the 2020 also. Im not sure what ford did but its smoother for sure. Im not trying to poo poo on the gas truck because I enjoyed that truck and it served its purpose for what we needed. I still believe the best value for a person needing to tow heavy is a heavy duty gas truck. The powerstroke is heads and shoulders a much better towing engine if that is what you want and can afford. This is my honest impressions of the new truck and hope this helps someone who is trying to decide between the two. Have a great Thanksgiving fellow campers!

Well first of all towing 10K is NOT heavy! It might be for a gas powered truck, not for a diesel. Even the 7.3 Godzilla with 4.30's top out around 20K.

My 2016 Ram 3500 DRW with 3.73's is rated to tow 25,024#,

Well you sold your old Gas for a new diesel, what are you looking at towing with the diesel?
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well first of all towing 10K is NOT heavy! It might be for a gas powered truck, not for a diesel. Even the 7.3 Godzilla with 4.30's top out around 20K.

My 2016 Ram 3500 DRW with 3.73's is rated to tow 25,024#,

Well you sold your old Gas for a new diesel, what are you looking at towing with the diesel?
I understand that 10k is not heavy comparatively speaking. Was just giving a towing review between the two trucks with the same trailer. We are going to purchase a 5th wheel toy hauler.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #4

I test drove a 2020 Ford Superduty with both the new 7.3 Godzilla abc 6.7 Powerstroke. I had a 2012 F-450 and now a 2017 F-250 6.2 boss.

I agree with you that the 2020 6.7 Powerstroke and 10 speed transmission is really smooth. The electric assit on the steering makes the truck easier to drive. I found this truck a big improvement over my 2012. It is a lot smoother and even further refined.

I test drove the new 7.3 Godzilla also. Since it was a test drive and not towing it felt much like my 2017 6.2 gas truck. Probably towing you would notice a difference in power but my easy driving test drive it might have been slightly smoother than my 2017.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I test drove a 2020 Ford Superduty with both the new 7.3 Godzilla abc 6.7 Powerstroke. I had a 2012 F-450 and now a 2017 F-250 6.2 boss.

I agree with you that the 2020 6.7 Powerstroke and 10 speed transmission is really smooth. The electric assit on the steering makes the truck easier to drive. I found this truck a big improvement over my 2012. It is a lot smoother and even further refined.

I test drove the new 7.3 Godzilla also. Since it was a test drive and not towing it felt much like my 2017 6.2 gas truck. Probably towing you would notice a difference in power but my easy driving test drive it might have been slightly smoother than my 2017.
Thanks for the reply. The gas motors are just fine. Reliable as hell. Yea the steering is really crazy different and in a good way.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
JDT

I really like my F350, my favorite in a long string of trucks, for many of the reasons you listed. A totally different animal with the 10 speed and improved steering, whatever they did. I have been getting between 10 and 11 mgp towing our fifth wheel but it has really surprised me with the solo performance, pleasantly that is. We drove it to my sister-in-law's home well north of Chicago recently to help with remodeling her home. I had a bed full of tools and the wife and mother-in-law on board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0453 (2).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	308908  
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

The vast majority of pickup owners don't tow heavy and/or regulary. IMHO most are better off getting a gas engine.

One has to do A LOT of heavy towing to justify the ~$9,000+ cost of the diesel option. The manufacturers have realized customers like the diesels and have marked them up drastically to create a golden goose cash cow for them.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #8

I also think Ford recalibrated the suspension to make it ride better. I was on mostly smooth roads but the few road imperfections I hit were absorbed by the suspension better than my 2017. I thought the superduty trucks now drive more like the F-150 which is car like.

I was looking for a new truck before the pandemic, one with the 5th wheel prep package and really liked the new GM 2500HD 6.6 gas truck. But then drove the 2020 Superduty trucks and like them slightly better than the GM trucks.

Between Ram, GM, Ford you can not buy a bad truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Between Ram, GM, Ford you can not buy a bad truck.
I really agree with this. It's ok to be brand loyal, which I am to ford. I also appreciate the other brands and think they make damn fine trucks also. Im not a huge fan of the front end on the new gm trucks which seals the deal for me. However a friend of mine just bought a 2020 with the 6.6 and the interior is super well done and very cozy. The stiff competition between the big three just means all have to continue to make a great product or the consumer will simply just buy another brand. I also think brand bashing what other people work hard and choose to spend there hard earned dollar on is Bush league.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
The vast majority of pickup owners don't tow heavy and/or regulary. IMHO most are better off getting a gas engine.

One has to do A LOT of heavy towing to justify the ~$9,000+ cost of the diesel option. The manufacturers have realized customers like the diesels and have marked them up drastically to create a golden goose cash cow for them.
Not really. Owning a diesel for some is the same as someone else thinking they need leather, a 12" screen and power running boards and sunroof. It's about comfort. I'll never recoup the cost of a diesel vs gas, anymore than I'll recoup the cost of an upgrade trim package. The comfort of towing with a diesel is important to me. YMMV.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Not really. Owning a diesel for some is the same as someone else thinking they need leather, a 12" screen and power running boards and sunroof. It's about comfort. I'll never recoup the cost of a diesel vs gas, anymore than I'll recoup the cost of an upgrade trim package. The comfort of towing with a diesel is important to me. YMMV.
As you mentioned, from a financial perspective it doesn't 'make sense' for the average pickup owner. However, if a diesel is something you want and are willing to spend the money on it, go for it! Really no different than buying a sports car for the fun of driving it.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elev8torguy View Post
I really agree with this. It's ok to be brand loyal, which I am to ford. I also appreciate the other brands and think they make damn fine trucks also. Im not a huge fan of the front end on the new gm trucks which seals the deal for me. However a friend of mine just bought a 2020 with the 6.6 and the interior is super well done and very cozy. The stiff competition between the big three just means all have to continue to make a great product or the consumer will simply just buy another brand. I also think brand bashing what other people work hard and choose to spend there hard earned dollar on is Bush league.
Agree wholeheartedly with Elev8torguy, good products coming from the big 3 these days. Just very loyal to Ford for a long time. But one of my sons is a Chevy guy and I love his truck too. Hard to beat that Duramax and Allison combo, and the Cummins power and reliability is legendary.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #13

I tow heavier then most here. Im 35k combined scale weight. And i tow with gas engine. not a blue oval but in that regard gearing is everything. Gearing and knowing where oeak of the torque curve is rpm wise. Rest of it is will you let gasser work as designed.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #14

In 41 months we purchased 3 new Class A motorhomes. The first two were V10 Fords on the F53 chassis. The third is diesel pusher with 380 HP / 1150 ft# torque Cummins engine on a Freightliner chassis. Sure it is more money, but there is so much difference I will never consider a RV with a gasser again. The front engine is also extremely noisy while DP engine is almost 40 feet behind you barely can be heard. Diesel vs. gas for pulling loads is the reason all semi trucks and almost every medium truck all are diesel powered.
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas