Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

GCWR

Hi so I am new to this and new to forums period so I apologize in advance. So I am looking to get into the towing and hauling business and I understand what GCWR is but why is it so hard to find? I have a 2003 Chevy 1500HD now and I was able to find the GCWR of 14k I believe. I am looking to purchase another truck and trailer and when I find a truck lets say on Craigslist and try to find the specific GCWR for that vehicle it is impossible. So I was wondering if there is a website to go to where you can enter the vehicle and it will tell you the GCWR of that vehicle. I'm looking at a 2004 Chevy 3500HD with the 8.1 liter. Not sure if that will get me to around 18-20k GCWR or not. If not what Chevy or GMC will??? Thanks in advance for your help.
Mr.Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

If whatever your looking at Chevy, Ford, Dodge. Call and talk to the dealer rep for commercial sales and ask ALL you questions since they sell equipment for Just That Purpose. Start There
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #3

I agree, that's probably your best chance to get accurate information. What you need is, best case scenario the VIN or the truck's specs down to the differential, transmission, engine, cab configuration, wheel base....., you get the picture.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

You can find lot of info at this link about tow ratings.
Ford site comes up when you open link.

Top row........roll cursor over 'tow ratings' for drop down menu for RAM, Sierra, Silverado

Ford Truck Tow Ratings
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Mr.Mud, and and to our campfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mud View Post
Hi so I am new to this and new to forums period so I apologize in advance. So I am looking to get into the towing and hauling business and I understand what GCWR is but why is it so hard to find? I have a 2003 Chevy 1500HD now and I was able to find the GCWR of 14k I believe. I am looking to purchase another truck and trailer and when I find a truck lets say on Craigslist and try to find the specific GCWR for that vehicle it is impossible. So I was wondering if there is a website to go to where you can enter the vehicle and it will tell you the GCWR of that vehicle. I'm looking at a 2004 Chevy 3500HD with the 8.1 liter. Not sure if that will get me to around 18-20k GCWR or not. If not what Chevy or GMC will??? Thanks in advance for your help.
GCWR is hard to find if you're not an internet search guru. But it not an important spec. You probably don't need to know GCWR to match trailer to tow vehicle (TV). And if you do use GCWR to match TV to trailer, you'll probably wind up overloaded.

GCWR is in the Owner's Guide for the TV. But it's not a simple one-size-fits-all number. To find it in my Owner's Guide, I need to know make and model of TV, cab (regular, supercab or crewcab), wheelbase (long or short or really-short bed), engine, 4x4 or 4x2, and axle ratio. That's too much info to include on a door sticker, so you won't find GCWR on any door jamb.

GCWR tells you the max weight your TV can PULL without overheating anything in the drivetrain, and without being the slowpoke holding up traffic on steep grades. But it ignores payload capacity, so it gives you good info only on wagon-style trailers that have minimal hitch weight, and with no weight in the TV other than a skinny driver. So ignore GCWR (and the resulting tow rating) and concentrate on GVWR (and the resulting payload capacity).

Payload capacity is usually the limiter as to how heavy a trailer you can tow without being overloaded. For example, my GCWR is 14,000 pounds with tow rating of 8,400 pounds. But I exceed my payload capacity with my TT when it's loaded to less than 5,000 pounds. If I was stupid enough to try to tow a TT that grossed 8,400 pounds, my poor little TV would be severely overloaded. Sure, it could PULL that heavy a trailer, but the suspension and brakes would be severely overloaded. (The service brakes are designed to stop the TV when the TV is loaded (including hitch weight) to the GVWR, but not when it's overloaded.)

Quote:
I'm looking at a 2004 Chevy 3500HD with the 8.1 liter.
Not enough info to look up the GCWR. In addition to the criteria listed above, for a 3500 you also need to know if it has single rear wheels (SRW) or duals (DRW). So I'll WAG that you're looking at a 3500 4x2 DRW CrewCab. On Edmunds.com, all the specs assume a 6.0L V8 engine. The truck weighs a bit over 6,000 pounds with tow rating of 12,000 pounds, so GCWR must be over 18,000 pounds. With the 8.1L engine, it's probably 20k or so. The link below uses a GMC, but the GMC and Chevy have identical specs. Scroll way down until you reach towing specs.
https://www.edmunds.com/gmc/sierra-3...eatures-specs/

Per the PDF file that Old-Biscuit linked to, the GCWR of the 2004 3500 4x4 DRW CrewCab with 8100 V8 engine, Dual Rear Wheels and 4.10 axle has tow rating of 12,000 lbs. and GCWR of 22,000 lbs.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
So I am looking to get into the towing and hauling business and I understand what GCWR is but why is it so hard to find?
Your asking in the wrong type of website for starting a towing/hauling business if you plan on being over 26001 gcw. You need to be searching on a commercial haulers website ie; hotshot/commercial owners and operators/LTL/etc for information on how to start that type business. ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org is one of the better sites to help new entrants start their hauling/towing trailers business.

At this time there is no fed requirement for vehicle mfg to give there vehicle a GCWR (gross combined weight rating) so its not on a vehicle anywhere.

Alterations like a gear ratio change/tire and wheel packages on some vehicles/transmission change/engine change and a host of other mechanical changes can alter a gcwr number.
DOT folks won't be interested in vehicle mfg GCWR if your going that route.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #7

Thank you so much for that. I finally found a website it is called "Pickup Wiki". Although you are certainly correct there are a lot of factors that come into play that I did not take into consideration. So here is where I get confused. My current truck 2003 chevy 1500hd says towing capacity is 10200 and gcwr is 14000. The curb weight is 5600 so lets say 6000 with me and all fuel. If I have 10k on the trailer I'm at 16k which is over the 14k. So what is more important???
Mr.Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mud View Post
The curb weight is 5600 so lets say 6000 with me and all fuel. If I have 10k on the trailer I'm at 16k which is over the 14k. So what is more important???
The DOT will be checking weights on all axles. So GAWR of steer, drive and trailer axles are all important. Your biggest problem is probably rGARW (gross axle weight rating of the rear axle). But also the combined weight on both axles of the tow vehicle (TV), limited by the GVWR of the TV. GVWR minus the weight of the TV is payload capacity. So keep the weight (including trailer hitch weight) on the two truck axles to less than the GVWR so you don't exceed payload capacity.

GVWR is probably less than combined GAWRs of the TV, so ignore combined GAWRs and worry about GVWR and rGAWR.

Both state and federal DOT cops are serious about preventing overloaded trucks on the road. If they catch you overloaded, the fine is huge plus they often require you to park the rig right there until you can either get a bigger truck or unload some of the weight off the overloaded rig. As JIMNLIN noted, the DOT doesn't care about GCWR. If your trailer doesn't exceed the GAWRs of the trailer and the hitch weight doesn't cause the TV to exceed the GVWR or GAWRs of the TV, then the DOT cops are happy.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #9

A 1500HD has a full 6000 RAWR load E tires and wheels 6.0 engine 4L60 tranny 8600 gvwr so your ahead some what in the load carrying capacity than the std duty 1500 GM truck . If your hauling general freight your gonna' lose money with the old truck and tiny payloads. Fuel and maintenance and insurance costs are a big hit.

The way it works is add up the trucks fawr/rawr = its new gvw.....or you may choose to use the trucks makers gvwr. Now add the trailer gvwr and that will be your operating gcw or gcwr as rv folks like to call it.

Now your well under CDL requirements so unless your carrying haz mat material DOT won't be interested.
However.... always check with your state and the ones you will be operating in for CDL requirements. If your hauling for bucks your commercial and your rig and load can be impounded if you haven't crossed the T's and dotted the I's in the legal part.

So what is more important???
For your old truck I would stay with whatever GM's gcwr is. The truck will need all the help you can give it.

DOT doesn't use a truck makers gvwr for how much load it can legally carry
Just keep under the trucks steer and drive axle ratings and the trailer axle ratings to satisfy legal load limits.
Also if your state has a gvw/tonnage/gcw or some type of weight for registration purposes be sure your good there.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote