Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Gear towing question.......

I have a F350 diesel manual transmission L-5, considered 6 gears correct?

On a previous F250 automatic I remember it is not recommended to tow in Overdrive.

My F350 in the 5 (6th gear) is considered overdrive correct? Has the white dot on stick so I am guessing that indicates OD.

With my previous 5ver which was under 8k, I would use 5th gear only when on flat areas, no high headwinds, basicly if I felt the truck was not having to work hard. The 5ver honestly you never would know it was behind you it pulled so easily.

I have not towed this new KOTR yet but maxed out is 18k so more than double what I had previously. My guess without looking up the books is I need to tow in 4th gear? Or could I use 5th gear in optimal conditions.... I am not sure of the rear end on that truck, it is a dually. Thanks Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I have a F350 diesel manual transmission L-5, considered 6 gears correct?
Yes, assuming your truck is a '99 or newer, then you have a ZF 6-speed manual tranny.

Quote:
On a previous F250 automatic I remember it is not recommended to tow in Overdrive.
You remember wrong. If the F-250 was a '99-up Super Duty, then put the tranny in Drive and let the computer determine which gear you will be in - with a couple of exceptions I won't go into here.

Quote:
My F350 in the 5 (6th gear) is considered overdrive correct? Has the white dot on stick so I am guessing that indicates OD.
I don't know what the dot means, but you have a 6-speed tranny with L = granny low, then 1,2,3,4,and 5th gears. 5th is an overdrive gear, but that doesn't matter. Choose whichever gear allows you to pull the load without lugging the engine, without concern to whether it's an underdrive, direct drive or overdrive gear.

Quote:
My guess without looking up the books is I need to tow in 4th gear? Or could I use 5th gear in optimal conditions.... I am not sure of the rear end on that truck, it is a dually.
'99-up F-350 DRW came with either 3.73 open axle or 4.10 limited slip. Most that were not ordered as "work trucks" were ordered with the 4.10 LS. There is an axle code on the door sticker that includes tire size and PSI, VIN, year/month of assembly and other codes. Look up that code in the internet and you'll know which rear axle you have.

As a stick shifter, you know what engine lugging means. NEVER allow the engine to lug before you downshift, but other than that use the highest gear you can use without lugging the engine. Else you MPG suffers.

More details about your tow vehicle are available on TheDieselStop.com. Look me up over there.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Great information!!! Thanks!!

My F250 was a 85 with a 4brl Holley. 351 Windsor. Automatic.

The F350 is a 7.3L 2002 Diesel, I just turned 60K on miles. I bet there is not another 2002 out there with that low of miles on it. Wife hates shifting it (short legs) ... Wants me to get another automatic. But this one is paid for and works like a horse!
GVWR 11200 shows axle 61 on plate.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My F250 was a 85 with a 4brl Holley. 351 Windsor. Automatic
C5 tranny. That one may well have said to not tow in overdrive. However, I had a 1977 E-150 with that engine/tranny combo, and I don't remember any caution to not tow in overdrive. We towed a 3,000-pound tent trailer all over the USA with that van, and I always put it in drive and drove. We put about 150,000 miles on that van, including about 50,000 towing miles, and when we sold it to a friend there was nothing wrong with either the engine or tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
shows axle 61 on plate.
61 = Dana 80 Conventional (without limited slip) Differential with 3.73 ratio

2002 F350 duallys
61 = open - 3.73
F2 = Limited slip - 4.10

All 2002 F-350 DRW pickups with diesel engine had Dana 80 rear axle with either 61 or F2 axle codes. Nothing else was available from Ford.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Towed up to our CG spot in SD. 30 - 40 mph headwinds. Towed well until higher winds came up. 65 was no problem. In calm winds could cruise at 75 I am certain but 65 is a safe speed. Turbo was in the 3-5 range and exhaust was 900 to 1000
RPM's at 2k But what a diff between a 10k 5r and a 18k.

Tags
towing