Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
The Ford 5.0 is tried & true and my favorite 1/2 truck engine. Bottom line; however, is that the 3.5 EB has much more horsepower (375), far more torque (450 lbs) than most pickups and the turbos are not affected at altitude. If I were to buy another half ton truck, not to be used for towing, it would be tough to decide between the Ford 5.0 and the Toyota 5.7. Otherwise, the EBs, like 'em or not, outperform most 1/2 ton competitors when you hook up to the hitch...
Not to intentionally try to lighten your wallet, but what about boosting a 5.0? I am seriously considering it for my 6.4L (not that there is a lack of power but altitude gets it)

[emoji1]
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #100

GM 5.3 or Ford Ecoboost?????

Turbo supercharged 5.3 would be pretty amazing! The aftermarket parts for the 5.3 are rather astounding!
2012TxSilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
The Ford 5.0 is tried & true and my favorite 1/2 truck engine. Bottom line; however, is that the 3.5 EB has much more horsepower (375), far more torque (450 lbs) than most pickups and the turbos are not affected at altitude. If I were to buy another half ton truck, not to be used for towing, it would be tough to decide between the Ford 5.0 and the Toyota 5.7. Otherwise, the EBs, like 'em or not, outperform most 1/2 ton competitors when you hook up to the hitch...
It's not always how much is in there- it's mostly- how is the power produced and how does the engine supply the power?

Just an example how important that part is:

Up till 10 years ago, I was riding motorcycles. I'm not talking about sightseeing through the desert and picking flowers on the way. I was very often on the race track.
My bike: 1994 FZR1000 3LE. Carburetor.
Modifications: sharp cam, 1070ccm big bore kit, 6-speed from FZR750 modified, short swing arm from FZR750, Mazochi progressive suspension front, oehlins gas/oil shocks rear, adjustable bones for height, eagle Mach3 racing muffler for road, Termingoni for race track.
HP on rear wheel 156. 0-60 in 2.9s (checked on race track). Max speed with small rear sprocket: 195mph.
For people riding sport bikes- you might say: every 2015 GSXR is better- but I can tell you- I was always in the front group. and the reason was carburetor. All others where fuel injected.
As the first fuel injected Yamaha came out- it was the R1, it was the highsider bike. the power came too quick, too hard, too fast and faster, than most of even experienced riders could handle. They reduced the torque through accelerating, means, to be able to ride it, the bike was not running on 150hp (a lot as it came out in 1996), but only on not even 100hp and was electronically dosed. All other bike manufacturers uses this system, because if you push too much torque at one time to the rear wheel, it starts loosing grip and spins- and a spinning wheel on a bike is not good.
Why I'm saying this?
easy. I might had less hp and torque than all the others on the track, but because of the way how the bike applied the power to the wheel, I was able to just rip the throttle open in the center of the curve and let it pull out. all other guys with injection had a problem to find the pressure point and lost time.
conclusion: you might have more hp, but the way how it's applied, gives you the advantage.
And that's the same like the difference between a natural aspired V8 and a blown up small V6.
And that's clearly the reason, why I never would go with a small turbo when I have the possibility to buy a V8. It's the "how", not the "that", what appeals me.
Btw- there are supercharger kits for Hemi and Chevy 5.3 which gives the hemi 700hp and the chevy around 630hp. and the best: both engine can handle it without any modifications in the mechanic. all it takes is $7000 plus $1000 installation.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
Not to intentionally try to lighten your wallet, but what about boosting a 5.0? I am seriously considering it for my 6.4L (not that there is a lack of power but altitude gets it)

[emoji1]
Lightened the ole wallet when I traded my trusty 5.0 in for an F250 6.7L . The turbo diesel is quite a workhorse, and hooked up to the trailer, it is more than enough to handle most any load. I do miss; however, the everyday convenience of the F150. I would imagine a turbo 5.0 would be a joy to drive, but per guy65's figures, the modification expense would equal the cost differential between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton tow vehicle; and the 1/2 ton truck would still be limited in payload and tongue weight capacities.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #103

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I would have to agree with most of that...

The complexity of the E-B is what I would be afraid of once the truck started hitting the 100k mile mark. You would almost have to carry a extended warranty just in case. There are no $150 repairs anymore. Everything starts at $1,000 just to drive it in the shop.

Even with my Tundra I bought in 14' I did buy a Toyota 8 year / 125k extended warranty ("$0" deductible cost $1700) and is prorated or transferable if I sell or trade. One air compressor is now $1500....Alternator $750....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #104

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post
Since you have never seen it, I thought I would show it to you, LOL
https://www.google.com/search?q=Hear...w=1536&bih=731
Wow you mean I can take it with me?
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post

My neighbor was a die hard Dodge guy, thats all he would own and loved them, but he loved them because they were easy to work on, and was always working on them. I saw him beef suspensions up on them as I notice yours is beefed up because a dodge doesnt sit that way originally.
Is true, the rear end in my truck is the 1 ton Dana. It also has the wider 1 ton brake shoes and I have 7 thin leaves with one thick overload and also airbags so it rides like a Cadillac unloaded and de pressurised.

They are incredibly easy to work on and parts are super cheap too. Injectors are $250 delivered and take less than a hour to change, water pump is literally the easiest thing to swap out ever. I resealed my injection pump for $12.00 and had it torn down to every last bolt and washer and yes there was lots of carefully measuring but nothing a old dial caliper cant handle.

I do miss the luxuries of newer trucks but at the same time my job would make a new truck a dirt mess inside and out in no time that and i dont want the payment.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford