Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

GM 6.0 Towing Power

I asked this question on a GM Truck forum, but would like to get the input of RV'rs as well. I'm starting to think about my next truck purchase, probably within the next year or so. (Although I know when I start thinking I'm in trouble)

I'm currently driving a Ford F150 EcoBoost. Specs on that engine are 365 hp and 420 torque. Looking at the GM 6.0 gas I'm seeing 360hp and 380 torque - led than the little 3.5 6 cyl Ford.

We tow a travel trailer a fair amount of time (25% or so of total miles driven per year). Our current trailer is a load for the F150, just barely under the max. payload recommendation when fully loaded. The engine pulls fine with normal highway stuff, although the mpg's certainly suffer. But we just returned from a couple of weeks in the mountains of the west, and those high elevation passes sure make it grunt. It's time to start thinking about stepping up the ability of my TV.

So I've been thinking (there we go again) a 3/4 ton truck would make sense for me. But to do so with a gas engine means I'd have slightly less power?

Sure, the Chev 2500 would have a more suitable axle ratio. And I like the idea of having a bigger cushion on my payload capacity. But I could buy a new F150 with a better axle ratio, max tow package, and max payload package. That would be an improvement over my current set up, and be fairly well under the recommended payload limits.

A 3/4 ton truck is going to weigh more than my current rig. And the engine has less pulling power. Aren't I going to be awfully disappointed the next time I try to pull over Eisenhower Pass? I'm also not crazy about giving up 5 or 6 MPG during the 75% of the time when I'm not pulling the trailer.

Yes, I know that a diesel would solve all my problems. Except the additional drain of many thousands of dollars from my bank account. And for towing our medium sized 27' travel trailer, a diesel just seems like over kill.

What am I missing?
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #2

I wouldn't trade in the ecoboost for another gas engine if performance at high elevations is the issue. The Chevy gas engine is going to loose more power at the higher elevation that turbocharged V-6. The only advantage the 6.0L might have, being a HD truck engine, is the ability to live at max power for longer but that's mostly academic in this application.

Changing the gears isn't going to make a huge difference either, as it really just changes which gear you use to climb a particular hill at a given speed. It was more important back when trucks had only three speeds and no overdrive.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

I own two trucks with the GM 6.0. I would first have to ask what is your goal for the long term? Do you always plan to pull the same size trailer? or could there be a 37' trailer in you future.

I have not driven an ecoboost but im positive it has more guts than a 6.0 chevy. BUT I would take the heavier truck any day over a halfton. You would probably pass me in my 6.o dually up a hill pulling the same load, but factor in passing trucks, a windy day, or just less than ideal conditons the heavier truck wins everytime. Horsepower is maybe half of the equation. In my long wheel base CC DRW truck I roll down the highway with an 8,000lb trailer, 1,000lb golf cart in the bed and 2-4 family members in the cab with one hand on the wheel up or down hill 65-70 mph all the way, and yes the truck loves to down shift because it does not have the big power like some other folks.

Bottom line if your picky you may not like a 6.0 coming from an eco-boost. If you can understand and appreciate the 6.0 for what it is in the comfort of a much more capable truck you will do fine. I have had a 6.0 since 05' and have done nothing but preventative maint. My friends with diesels have had a lot of issues that I cannot afford.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

We love our current trailer, and have no plans to upgrade that. In fact, that might be one fear of getting a bigger truck. It would open the door to shopping for a bigger trailer. Where does it all end?!?!???! Lol

But seriously, our current trailer is perfect for our needs. No plans to upgrade that.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
We love our current trailer, and have no plans to upgrade that. In fact, that might be one fear of getting a bigger truck. It would open the door to shopping for a bigger trailer. Where does it all end?!?!???! Lol

But seriously, our current trailer is perfect for our needs. No plans to upgrade that.
That size trailer is perfect for a gas 3/4ton or srw 1ton. It may also be perfect for your f150 ecoboost. I personally would prefer a 3/4 or 1ton long wheel base. JMO
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

Doesn't GM make a 6.2 with around 400hp?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

I went from the 6.0 Chevy to the 6.2 Ford last year. The 6.2 has a lil more hp and tq than the 6.0. It does what the 6.0 did but with much greater ease and gets better mileage. I mainly credit the increase in tow power to 2 more gears and the VVT on the OHC engine. I think the mpg edge is the Ford's 3.73's over the Chev's 4.10's. Been a GM guy all my days and catching heck from some of my friends, but I'm happier with how the Ford's pulling my TT these days.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #8

It is a fact that a non turbo gas engine will lose 3% of it's power per every 1,000feet in elevation gain. A turbo engine will compress the thin air and lose less HP than a non turbo engine.

Now a 3/4 ton truck weighs approx. 2,000lbs. more than a 1/2 ton truck. The 6.0 engine really is not powerful enough to move the extra 2,000 lbs. On the flip side the 3/4 ton truck will control the trailer better but not pull it better.

If you are not happy with the way the eco-boost pills your trailer you will not be happy with the GM 6.0.

A Ram 2500 with a 6.4 litre gas engine might be an option but as you may know in higher elevations a diesel engine is the best option.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GM 6.0 towing power

Whip, you are thinking in the correct terms about going to a 2500 series Chevy primarily due to the fact you will have a lot more stopping power. I don't know what your trailer weights but the new 6.2 lit. engines and 5.3 engine are both direct injected. The 6.2 is rated at 420 hp and 460 ft lbs of torque plus an eight speed transmission. And how do I know this, I retired from GM after 30years and have been camping about 40 plus years, have had three travel trailers, three Suburbans and now have my second "A" class MH. But thinking of going back to a TT. Main reason is taxes and insurance on it and no warranty (2003) HR Vacationer. I also have a 2013 Silverado crew cab with a 5.3 and I have towed a Jayco 28 ft ultra-lite with dry weight of around 5200 lbs. This trailer was a new 2015 model and it handled it fairly well with the six speed transmission with keeps the engine in the torque pulling range. As the turbo 3.5 Ford's are concerned they make good power but the turbo units longevity would be my concern. It's been said many times, there is no replacement for displacement. But these are my thoughts but what do I know!
allen1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

What about a super duty with the v-10?
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #11

Allen, I like the specs on the Chev 6.2, and think it would do a fine job for me. The big downside is the requirement to use 91 octane fuel. I filled my Ford today with 87 octane at $2.68/ gallon. The high test brand was $3.20 - a built in 20% increase in the price of fuel. That's a steep penalty for a pretty small gain in torque. And it's not available on the 3/4 ton truck, so no gain there.

Sandman, I don't think the V10 is still an option on the Super Duty?

Tags
power, tow, towing